Re: CP: Clarity in Chechen resistance (I.Amundsen)

  • thomas_bindesboell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
      Dear List,

      After reading Mikael Storsjö's posting (# 54411, Re: CP: Clarity in Chechen resistance (I.Amundsen), I would like to make some remarks, trying to bring focus back on the main issue really at stake here: The very survival of the modern, democratic and secular independent Chechen state and nation, and the defence of the very same ChRI key structures and legitimate powers, during an almost unimaginable duration of war and inhumane sufferings for the Chechen people against the Kremlin imperialist invaders, including all the cynical "divide and rule"-tactics & diversions applied by the various KGB-Mafia-departments towards the Chechen nation and people, for over a decade now.

      I'll leave all Mikael Storsjö's attacks on both Zakayev, Amundsen and many other respected Chechen fighters, politicians, friends and defenders of the Chechen struggle for independence and survival without any further comments. It's just waste of time to address such offensives, many of them on a mere personal level far more than on a political one, and seemingly way out of any long historical context, regarding the main issue: The defending of an independent and free Chechen State and Nation, as legitimatized in democratic elections. Not a single outcome of any public wishes, expressed by democratic elections among the Chechen people, ever (=never!) called for any "Wahhabi's" or "Emiratist's" whatsoever to be *either the goal or the means* of that same Chechen state. The last genuine "free and fair elections", by any OSCE standards of this term, were held in Chechnya in 1997. And anyone who has just a children's book knowledge of the absolute clear verdict of the Chechen electorate of that time will know that a secular and independent democratic Chechen State, based on the 1992 Constitution, was trusted into the hands of the *Maskhadovs and Zakayevs* and not into the hands of the *Udugovs and Basayevs* - or to the Barayevs or worse, for that matter...

      Such evident historical facts end democratic verdicts by the Chechen electorate should be remembered -- and strongly remembered, please -- also regarding any further fruitful arguments and clarity in this discussion. And I think I'm not quite alone in that wish. It probably goes for the majority of the steady readers and contributors here on the S-L. For my part not the least also with due respect to all my Chechen friends, dealing as they are with the main life an death struggle as described above. As one Chechen refugee here in Denmark told me, in some repeatedly mentioned key- sentences by him, in a very long conversation, some days ago: 'It's not about being in full line with either Zakayev or other of our leaders in all fields, but it's about our Chechen constitution, and about the independence for Chechnya. We Chechens maybe do not agree on all political questions but that's part of democracy too! I have experienced our years of freedom, I've fought for it, and I still do. The vast majority of the ordinary Chechens did not at any time want the Wahhabis or "Emirate" to interfere with our main goal of an independent Chechen State, regardless our other differences. And at least we had our free elections in 1997, which proved that a large majority of the Chechens once and for all did not want any extremists with their own agenda to run our country'.

      I shall repeat my calls to this Chechen friend to put these very clear observations into some written form, also in order to publish his opinions here on the S-L.

      What strikes me most remarkably with Mikael Storsjö's many postings over the last months here on the Chechnya Shortlist is his very fast movement from one point of view/accusations to another: When the first reports came (from Zakayev, btw) that Doku Umarov was (regrettably!) seemingly on the brink of deceiving his own Presidential oath to serve both the ChRI Constitution and Chechen people, Mikael Storsjö in a very harsh and mistrusty way tried to repudiate the whole matter as totally 'unfounded rumours', (RE:'Caucasus Emirate' – where is the beef? # 54002).

      I Quote:
      "(...) Regarding "Caucasus Emirate", we have not seen any official decree in public - the basic fact is that there has been no "Emirate declaration" by President Umarov yet. Those who tend to make hasty actions should carefully consider this fact. So far, we have no more than a text published 29.10.2007 on the minor web site chechenews.com, which alleges that they received the proclamation anonymously by e-mail! This web site is not the channel where Umarov's decisions and orders are published for the public. Further, the text was said to be written by Movladi Udugov. It's not very credible that Udugov would give world premiere to his texts on that obscure web site. I'm sure we all agree that he has much better media in his proposal. (*1*)

      When we today read harsh statements against Umarov and the "Caucasus Emirate" it should be kept in mind that the argumentation is directed towards a mix of anonymous e-mails, a radio reporters commentaries and one sentence long excerpts from some speech. There is no real beef in this hamburger, so far. Anybody is free to speculate how this situation has erupted. Who might be sending anonymous e-mails and video recordings, and what is the purpose of such actions? Who lacks loyalty to the leadership of ChRI (*2*) to such extent, that they want to link President Umarov to Al-Quaida, allege him for starting a world-wide jihad against the world et cetera? Who has interests in creating stories that President Umarov has declared not only an Emirate in North Caucasus, but he want to extend it also to Transcaucasus? An obvious answer is the divide et impera tacticians of FSB, but some people are helping the putinists quite a lot.

      Chechenpress knows exactly how presidential decrees are distributed. Still the agency publishes articles under headline "Doku Umarov proclaimed Caucasian Emirate" with references to some odd Al-Quaida influence in the Resistance. This does not make sense at all, without diving deep into conspiracy theories and similar speculations. The web site of the Chechen MFA should have other objectives than making serious harm to the Head of the State, (**3**) I suppose".
      (END QUOTE)
      --------------------

      (*1*) "Not very credible"" ??? - The pure and simple fact turned out to be that:
      a) The totally unconstitutional self-exclusion of Doku Umarov as legal President of the ChRI was indeed true, and from the very first publications, on both CP and Chechennews, and with the exact wording as described first.
      (But all strongly disputed by Mikael Storsjö, as referred in the post # 54002. Please re-read to see in details).
      b) The very remarkable and not credible "omissions" in the Kavkaz Center "versions" of the Umarov declaration (in which his general declarations of "war" with both USA and Israel were deliberately cut out!) speaks for themselves, when it comes to the "credibility" of the KC.

      (*2*) (Quote): "Who lacks loyalty to the leadership of the ChRI" , Mikael S further wrote (at that time, just a few months ago...). Well, as it again turned out: It were the very same Umarov (and Udugov), who who were *lacking loyalty* by declaring the Caucasian Emirate and hereby excluded themselves completely, both publicly and officially, from the goal of the Chechen constitution and the independent Chechen state. And they did this after years and years of struggle and countless deaths of Chechen fighters for the existence of the very same ChRI !!

      (*3*): (Quote): "The web site of the Chechen MFA should have other objectives than making serious harm to the Head of the State, I suppose (...)"

      Well, just a few months later, (and just some days ago, re # 54411), Mikael Storsjö himselves now doesn't give any credits to exactly the same (ChRI) "Head of State", (I stress the word "State"!!) which he apparently was so eager to defend against "vicious MFA- Zakayev-allegations" (which turned out to be true, but one has to repeat-repeat-repeat, vol xx) :

      In January 2008 Mikael Storsjö doesn't seem to be "angered" just a single bit anymore by any "harm" to the then legal "Head of the State", but now consequently former Chechen President, Umarov...

      Because now Storsjö writes:
      " (...) I view the proclamation of the Caucasus Emirate as a logical, consequent and historically well-grounded step forward in decolonisation of Caucasus".

      Logical ? Consequent ?? Historically well-grounded ???

      I leave it to the readers of the S-L to draw their own conclusions, only with the recommendation once again to re-read the *warp-speed developments* of indeed changing *argumentation's* of Mikael Storsjö, starting with his post #54002.

      And then I recommend readers to "beef up" again a little, with re- reading of the long and very genuine article (also self-critical as to many not constitutional decisions during also Maskhadov years of ChRI-history) by Zakayev: "About the self-evident" , # 54345

      Thomas Bindesbøll Larsen
      Danish Support Commitee for Chechnya

      --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, Mikael Storsjö
      <mikael.storsjo@...> wrote:

      > Some short comments upon the article of Amundsen. Well, the
      article
      > seems to be an translation from Russian, but the ghost writer is
      > unknown.
      >
      > The analysis is not very deep and includes statements against the
      > writer's better judgement, I suppose. The question about secular
      or
      > islamic government is a bit more complex than the writer
      advocates.
      > President Maskhadov (killed in 2005, btw) was not at all
      supporting
      > the secular model of governance in some sharp contrast to his
      > successors. That is a thesis which might be conveniant to use in
      > order to disgrace Sadulaev and Umarov and to defend
      > the "Euroichkerian coup d'état", but facts should not be omitted
      > anyway.
      >
      > Let's remind ourself about a couple of occasions, when President
      > Maskhadov made his position quite clear.
      >
      > In February 1999 he imposed full Sharia rule in Chechnya.
      According
      > to decrees he signed on February 3, all laws in Chechnya should
      > conform to the norms of the Koran and Sharia., and the parliament
      no
      > longer had a law-making function, but retained control functions.
      > This caused a conflict with the Parliament, but in November 1999
      he
      > finally acquiesced to the proclamation of a state based on Sharia
      > law, in which full citizenship even was to be restricted to
      Muslims.
      > (sic)
      >
      > Maskhadov created in February 1999 a State Commission on the
      > Development of a Sharia Constitution, which was chaired by Akhmed
      > Zakaev, at that time Minister of Information, Culture and
      > Communications. A strange position for a "liberal, secular
      democrat",
      > or maybe just natural behaviour of a flip-flopping politician?
      >
      > Further, the work to bring the Chechen constitution into full
      > conformance with the norms of Islam was completed at the ChRI
      Great
      > Majlis Shura in the summer of 2002, under the leadership of
      > Maskhadov. Article one of the constitution was revised to
      read: "The
      > Chechen Republic of Ichkeria is a sovereign, independent Islamic
      > legal state created as a result of self-determination of Chechen
      > people. The source of all decisions made is the Quran and Sunna."
      >
      > How constitutional these measures were may be disputed, here I
      only
      > want to point out that the switch to a Sharia based government is
      not
      > some weird idea of Umarov, it has been a common goal for ***all***
      > Presidents of ChRI, and is built upon the foundation by Sheikh
      Mansur
      > and Imam Shamil. I'll come back to this issue in one article I'm
      > preparing around this subject.
      >
      > The idea of unification of all North Caucasian republics has as
      long
      > historical roots. Dudaev spoke about "creation of a union of
      Caucasus
      > countries"; Maskhadov established sectors of the front in
      Ingushetia,
      > Kabardino-Balkaria and Dagestan, Sadulaev spoke about "plans for
      the
      > creation of a Majlis Shura of the Caucasus and a Shura Alimov of
      the
      > Caucasus, and for the creation of a confederative state of the
      type
      > of the European Union", Umarov calls this construction "Caucasus
      > Emirate".
      >
      > In recent discussions, I have been bringing forward these facts. I
      > view the proclamation of the Caucasus Emirate as a logical,
      > consequent and historically well-grounded step forward in
      > decolonisation of Caucasus.
      >
      > If that makes me a fundamentalist and terrorist, you are welcome.
      And
      > if I run "the errand of evil Russian interests", I suppose this
      > accusation is as well grounded as the "information" about 500
      million
      > dollars FSB gave to Movladi Udugov?
      >
      > Regarding Kavkazcenter web site, some corrections. The site has
      > working servers in Stockholm, Vilnius and Helsinki. The web site
      has
      > not been banned due to "extremist views" anywhere on earth – there
      > have been some small problems with Russian efforts to get the site
      > shut down. Anyway, those efforts have been in vain. In Sweden, the
      > Chancellor of Justice has stated regarding Kavkaz Center: "the
      > content of these texts cannot, according to my opinion, be
      regarded
      > as instigation of violence or racial agitation".
      > (http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/content/2006/10/16/5986.shtml)
      >
      > Accusing opponents for extremism, fundamentalism and terrorism is
      > Russian way of action. Maybe we are mature enough to stay above
      such
      > behaviour between each other?
      >
      > Mikael Storsjö
      >

      > --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, Norbert Strade <nost@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Clarity in Chechen resistance
      > >
      > > SIA CHECHENPRESS, December 31, 2007
      > >
      > > Russia's extreme atrocities against the Chechen people and
      > oppression
      > > over the past fifteen years have, as might have been expected,
      > > radicalized parts of the Chechen resistance; religiously,
      > militarily and
      > > politically. It is understandable that a people totally haunted
      and
      > > deprived of dignity and human rights seek to extremes for their
      own
      > > defence, especially so, when all reasonable and diplomatic
      > endeavours
      > > fail to mobilize the international community to what should have
      > been an
      > > obvious moral reaction to come to their rescue.
      > >
      > > However, fundamentalism, extremism and terrorism are not
      vehicles
      > > resolving a crisis and building a new successful state
      structure.
      > The
      > > crisis in Chechnya does not have a military solution, only a
      > political
      > > one; and must root in the Chechen traditions of culture and
      > religion.
      > > Hence, responses of the same character as deployed by the
      occupying
      > > perpetrators will not bring about a solution, but rather prolong
      > the
      > > conflict – which may well be precisely what the aggressors want
      > achieve!
      > >
      > > Those who have been deeply concerned about the Russian human
      rights
      > > abuses in Chechnya and the world's shameful silence about it,
      have
      > also
      > > been increasingly worried to see the radicalization of the
      Chechen
      > > military resistance on home ground. Since the murder of the last
      > legally
      > > elected president in Chechnya, Aslan Maskadov in 2004, there has
      > been a
      > > growing principle rift between his successors and their
      > international
      > > envoy, Akhmed Zakaev, who is resident with political asylum in
      UK.

      > > The legal Chechen Constitution was adopted in peace time in
      March
      > 1992.
      > > Its article 1 reads as follows:
      > >
      > > "The Chechen Republic is a Sovereign democratic legal state
      created
      > as a
      > > result of self determination of the Chechen people. It has the
      > supreme
      > > right concerning the territory and its national riches;
      > independently
      > > determines external and internal policy, adopts the Constitution
      > and
      > > laws governing its territory. The state Sovereignty of the
      Chechen
      > > Republic is indivisible."
      > >
      > > The rest of the Constitution is a rather modern democratic
      model,
      > > defining clearly full equal rights and responsibilities and the
      > > protection of individual integrity. It is the duty of the
      president
      > and
      > > Government to uphold the values and virtues of the Constitution,
      > and any
      > > change or amendments of principle character – such as the state
      > form –
      > > can only be decided by the people in referendum; which again can
      > only
      > > take place in normal peace time conditions.
      > >
      > > Aslan Maskadov's successor Abdul-Khalim Sadullaev, who was
      himself
      > > murdered in 2006, made statements to the effect he would change
      > Chechnya
      > > from a "democratic" to an "Islamic" state. This rather
      astounding
      > > proposition was largely ignored, because it was completely
      illegal
      > and
      > > without consequence. However, Chechnya's good friends were very
      > > concerned when he also chose the infamous self-proclaimed
      terrorist
      > > Shamil Basaev to be his vice prime minister. It only got worse
      when
      > > Sadullaev was murdered in June last year and was followed by
      Dokku
      > > Umarov, who quickly promoted Basaev to become vise president, -
      > which is
      > >
      > > The presidency had now fundamentalized, and they acted and
      > expressed
      > > their line of vision and policy in sharp contrast to the core
      > values of
      > > the Constitution in their care. For Akhmed Zakaev, the Chechen
      > > resistance Foreign Minister, this grew to a huge challenge.
      Zakaev
      > is a
      > > liberal, secular democrat and stands right on the defined values
      of
      > the
      > > Chechen 1992 Constitution. When asked how he, with his
      principles,
      > could
      > > continue to serve a presidency adopting opposite and grossly
      > conflicting
      > > views on Chechnya's state form, he would explain:
      > >
      > > " Yes, it is a great dilemma for me, and in no way do I accept
      or
      > side
      > > with their statements. But you must remember there is a war
      going
      > on and
      > > there has not been a legal election by the Chechen people for
      ten
      > years.
      > > What we have now is a leadership composed by circumstances of
      war
      > and
      > > murders. It is a coalition Government of widely differing
      opinions.
      > > represent a moderate, democratic line, and wish to further the
      role
      > of
      > > religion and culture in our true Chechen traditions. I firmly
      > believe we
      > > can only achieve a realistic and long term peace by mediation
      and
      > > diplomacy. If I should take the consequences of our differences
      and
      > > resign, I would leave the stage only to the extremists. They
      would
      > take
      > > Chechnya in the wrong direction and I would lose all power of
      > influence
      > > in a crucial time for our republic. That is precisely what the
      > Russians
      > > would want me to do; and that is precisely what I will not do –
      > unless I
      > > can be part of a better solution for our people."
      > >
      > > On 6th October president Dokku Umarov published some rather
      weird
      > > statements. Among them were the renaming of districts in Grozny
      > after
      > > Sadullaev and Basaev. Basaev, the dead terrorist was also
      promoted
      > > "Generalissimo" post mortem. Arbi Baraev, a notorious bandit,
      also
      > > deceased, was given the title "Brigadier General Emir."
      > >
      > > On 23rd October Akhmed Zakaev published an article in
      Chechenpress
      > > informing it had come to his knowledge that president Dokka
      Umarov
      > had
      > > recorded a video announcement in which he declared the whole of
      > North
      > > Caucasus "An Islamic Emirate." This, of course, would in actual
      > fact
      > > mean the abolition of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria – what
      > Chechens
      > > have lived and died for during the last 400 years.
      > >
      > > When sworn in as president, according to article 74 of the
      > Constitution,
      > > Dokku Umarov assumed the following duty:
      > >
      > > "I solemnly swear to be loyal to the people of the Chechen
      > Republic, to
      > > strengthen and defend its sovereignty, to adhere to the
      > Constitution and
      > > its laws, to guarantee the rights and freedoms of its citizens,
      > carry
      > > out in good faith the incumbent honourable duties of the
      President
      > of
      > > the Chechen Republic."
      > >
      > > Dokku Umarov had been entrusted with the Chechen Republic, its
      > people
      > > and their Constitution. By declaring a "North Caucasian Islamic
      > Emirate"
      > > he had had in spirit and in deed abolished and abandoned them
      all.

      > > Dokku Umarov's video was published on Radio Liberty 30th
      October.
      > It
      > > proved in full that Zakaev's allegations were absolutely
      correct.
      > Dokku
      > > Umarov also declared himself "Emir" of Caucasus, (no borders
      > defined),
      > > and the only lawful authority to the mujahedins who had sworn
      > loyalty to
      > > him as leader of "Jihad." He naturally declared holy war on the
      > Russsian
      > > "infidels" – but went on to declare the same on all other
      nations
      > he
      > > considered to be "Allah's enemies", including USA, England and
      > Israel –
      > > not exactly the best way to get new friends!
      > >
      > > It is clear Dokku Umarov has committed high treason and crime
      > against
      > > the Chechen state. By so doing he had in fact relinquished his
      post
      > as
      > > president. There are a number of articles in the Chechen
      > Constitution
      > > that decides that consequence, firstly article 74: "The
      President
      > can be
      > > relieved of the post in case of perpetration of crime." The
      > decision
      > > here is taken by the Parliament with a two third majority.
      > >
      > > The relevant Parliament is of course the remaining number of
      member
      > from
      > > the free election in January 1997. Its chairman, Zhalaudi
      > Saraljapov, in
      > > his decree 1B of 6th November concluded the president had
      resigned.
      > (The
      > > same applied to his deputy and other staff, because they were
      > appointed
      > > by him, not elected by the Parliament.) A resistance movement
      must
      > have
      > > a political base, and Saraljapov logically transferred the
      > political
      > > authority from the no longer existing presidency to the
      remaining
      > 97
      > > Parliament. He conferred with the altogether 21 other members,
      and
      > with
      > > 20 votes for, and 1 abstention Akhmed Zakaev was appointed
      Chairman
      > of
      > > the Cabinet of Ministers. Zakaev has later provided the
      Parliament
      > with
      > > a structure and further cabinet appointments that have been
      > approved.
      > >
      > > All of this has been a straight forward,logical and legal
      procedure
      > in
      > > the given circumstances.
      > >
      > > Zakaev went on to say that this was the result of a strong
      > manipulated
      > > campaign by two extreme islamist half brothers, Isa Umarov and
      > Movladi
      > > Udugov. He has later produced evidence of this particular plan
      in
      > > Chechenpress 7th November by copy of a document signed by
      Movladi
      > Udugov
      > > 4th January this year. The very strong link and influence on
      Dokku
      > > Umarov by Movladi Udugov and Isa Umarov is common knowledge in
      the
      > > Chechen society.
      > >
      > > The plan of a "Caucasian Emirate" suits only one part here: the
      > Russian
      > > side. From their perspective it is ingenious. The destruction of
      > > Chechnya, which they never managed to carry out themselves would
      > now
      > > have been done by the Chechen resistance leadership. Chechen
      > identity
      > > and culture would perish, important elements to the "genocide"
      > term. The
      > > Chechen "president" would on top of this make statements with
      > sulphuric
      > > religious extremism, declaring war on the world and sound really
      > > frightening.
      > >
      > > What would the world do, - turn away of course. Nobody would
      come
      > > fanatics like that to any rescue. The stigma would be total and
      > Chechnya
      > > would sink into darkness and be lost. Russia would be able to
      sit
      > back
      > > and watch it all, probably getting some international
      understanding
      > and
      > > sympathy - at last, for their "war on international terror." In
      the
      > > darkness they would be able to continue their oppression
      unattended
      > by
      > > the world conscience.
      > >
      > > For the Russians this plan would have an interesting side
      effect.
      > Kosovo
      > > may very soon declare independence. It is uncertain how EU and
      USA
> [...]
      for
      > > Republika Srpska in Bosnia. There will certainly be a call for
      > precedent
      > > for Abkhasia and South Ossetia in Georgia. These two republics
      > would
      > > declare annexation to Russia proper, which again would be
      negative
      > > the USA, being heavily into Georgia.
      > >
      > > Symmetrically, for Chechnya this should normally spark the
      process
      > of
      > > referendum, self determination and subsequent declaration of
      > > independence. But if Chechnya has simply dissolved itself into
      some
      > > extreme and undefined Caucasian Emirate – there simply would not
      be
      > any
      > > Chechen republic left to exit Russia!
      > >
      > > Why would the two half brothers push a plan that so obviously
      would
      > > destroy the Chechen republic – and only serve evil Russian
      > interests?
      > > Isa Umarov and Movladi Udugov's relations to the Russians have
      long
      > been
      > > an issue for speculation. I notice that they remain absolutely
      > silent
      > > about the allegations of their complicity to a plan to destroy
      > Chechnya.
      > >
      > > I also notice with some interest that the person who appears as
      > their
      > > spokesperson is Mr. Michael Storsø, a Finnish citizen who is
      > secretary
      > > of the Finnish-Russian Civic Forum. He also operates Movladi
      > Udugov's
      > > website Kawkazcenter. This website has been banned a few times
      for
      > its
      > > extremist views but is now harboured by Storsø for Udugov in
      > Helsinki.
      > > Mr. Storsø with great energy defend the emirate plan on the
      > Kawkazcenter
      > > website and in other media. He also tries to ridicule the
      efforts
      > > avoid Chechnya's destruction through the plan. It is a little
      > unusual to
      > > see a Finn advocate so hard the introduction an extreme Islamic
      > emirate
      > > anywhere in the world, and I conclude he by so doing also runs
      the
      > > errand of evil Russian interests.
      > >
      > > The remaining legal Parliament of Chechnya rose to the challenge
      in
      > > moment of crisis. It has performed a first step of establishing
      > new
      > > identity and integrity for Chechen leadership that hopefully
      will
      > meet
      > > with the world's recognition and sympathy and hopefully through
      > > mediation and diplomacy will result in a fair and sustainable

    • Mikael Storsjö
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2008
        Best list,

        I'll now try to follow "the golden rule" of writing responses that
        are shorter than the writing you want to comment, although I have
        some obvious problems in doing that.

        I think it's a fair request that people, ideas and arguments should
        be measured by the same standards. Now Thomas speaks about my
        attacks "on both Zakayev, Amundsen and many other". Please reread
        those recent articles – I was accused in one article for "running the
        errand of evil Russian interests". That's not very well-mannered
        argumentation, I suppose. I tried to stay above such libeling.
        Instead, I responded by listing facts in favor of my views, showing
        that this "500 million dollar provocation" is an idea supported by
        Chechen fighters since Sheikh Mansur all the way to Maskhadov,
        Abdulaev and now Umarov. Why to portrait me as the bad guy libeling
        other persons, isn't that quite ridiculous? I request a respect of
        other people's views also among those who do not share these views.

        I look upon the present fight in Chechnya as an integrated part of
        the 3-400 year long struggle in Caucasus against invaders. I think I
        have fairly good arguments, and no opponent has been prepared to
        question this basis.

        Many commentators look upon this present conflict within the
        Resistance as a dividing line between Islamic fundamentalists and
        defenders of a "modern, democratic and secular independent Chechen
        state and nation". I think this view is very deeply biased by
        incontestable facts. Maskhadov did proclaim Sharia rule, Maskhadov
        did change the constitution already in 2002 into an Islamic state.
        Zakaev did chair the State Commission on the Development of a Sharia
        Constitution. Sadulaev did predict the proclamation Umarov made in
        both writing and voice messages. Zakayev did declare in his Manifesto
        2006 that he is prepared to remove the status of Chechnya as an
        independent state.

        These are troublesome facts for those who want to build up an urban
        legend of a "500 million dollar provocation", I understand that. But
        anyway, it must still today be allowed to say "he hasn't got
        anything on" regarding the Emperor's New Clothes?

        It's a bit late to stand up and defend the constitution of 1992 now –
        it should have been done in 1999 and 2002 when Maskhadov actually
        replaced it by Sharia law. Or maybe already in March 1995 when the
        Sharia reform was declared by Dudaev?

        This belated attempt is just aimed at creating a great Chechen
        disorder with a number of false Dmitris. We have too
        many "parliaments" already – the biggest assembly orchestrated by
        Kadyrov senior in 1993, then a couple of them in Europe today – and
        the only consequent defender of the constitution of 1992, the deputy
        Akhiad Idigov, apparently dismissed by all of those wanting to
        appoint themselves to great titles.

        The core of the right of Chechens (and other Caucasian peoples) to
        freedom and independency is not at all the existence of a
        constitution. For example, when Finland achieved an internationally
        accepted independency from the Russian Empire, nobody knew would
        Finland become a kingdom or a republic – some contradictory decisions
        were even made by the parliament during the first year of
        independency.

        Regarding Chechnya, the very basis for getting an internationally
        accepted independency does not exist today, unfortunately. The
        freedom fighters do not have control over the area today, and that is
        the very basis for getting acceptance according to present
        interpretations of international law. Thus, the main objective now is
        to continue fighting until the control is achieved. The independency
        won't be a gift from Russia whoever is in power in Kremlin; believing
        in negotiations is self-delusion. Russia is not going to sign a new
        Khasavyurt agreement before that's the only option for the
        Muscovites. The recent unification of the Pan-Caucasian resistance is
        a cornerstone in achieving this objective, which the Chechens hardly
        can achieve on their own. Shortly expressed, this is the background
        to my positive view upon the Emirate.

        Within some days, I will write an article on the path to the Emirate.
        Supposedly the description of what really happened in October and
        November will contradict Thomas's views, I will leave the judgment to
        the readers.

        Mikael Storsjö

        --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, "thomas_bindesboell" <thomas-
        b.larsen@...> wrote:

> [...]
        Wahhabis or "Emirate" to interfere with our main goal of an
        independent Chechen State, regardless our other differences. And at
        least we had our free elections in 1997, which proved that a large
        majority of the Chechens once and for all did not want any extremists
        with their own agenda to run our country'.

        > I shall repeat my calls to this Chechen friend to put these very
        clear observations into some written form, also in order to publish
        his opinions here on the S-L.

        > What strikes me most remarkably with Mikael Storsjц's many postings
        over the last months here on the Chechnya Shortlist is his very fast
        movement from one point of view/accusations to another: When the
        first reports came (from Zakayev, btw) that Doku Umarov was
        (regrettably!) seemingly on the brink of deceiving his own
        Presidential oath to serve both the ChRI Constitution and Chechen
        people, Mikael Storsjц in a very harsh and mistrusty way tried to
> [...]
        the KC.

        > (*2*) (Quote): "Who lacks loyalty to the leadership of the ChRI" ,
        Mikael S further wrote (at that time, just a few months ago...).
        Well, as it again turned out: It were the very same Umarov (and
        Udugov), who who were *lacking loyalty* by declaring the Caucasian
        Emirate and hereby excluded themselves completely, both publicly and
        officially, from the goal of the Chechen constitution and the
        independent Chechen state. And they did this after years and years of
        struggle and countless deaths of Chechen fighters for the existence
        of the very same ChRI !!

        > (*3*): (Quote): "The web site of the Chechen MFA should have other
        objectives than making serious harm to the Head of the State, I
        suppose (...)"

        > Well, just a few months later, (and just some days ago, re #
        54411), Mikael Storsjц himselves now doesn't give any credits to
        exactly the same (ChRI) "Head of State", (I stress the
        word "State"!!) which he apparently was so eager to defend
        against "vicious MFA- Zakayev-allegations" (which turned out to be
        true, but one has to repeat-repeat-repeat, vol xx) :

        > In January 2008 Mikael Storsjц doesn't seem to be "angered" just a
        single bit anymore by any "harm" to the then legal "Head of the
        State", but now consequently former Chechen President, Umarov...

        > Because now Storsjц writes:
        > " (...) I view the proclamation of the Caucasus Emirate as a
        logical, consequent and historically well-grounded step forward in
        decolonisation of Caucasus".

        > Logical ? Consequent ?? Historically well-grounded ???
        >
        > I leave it to the readers of the S-L to draw their own conclusions,
        only with the recommendation once again to re-read the *warp-speed
        developments* of indeed changing *argumentation's* of Mikael Storsjц,