BBC: Tories: Help Russia win in Chechnya [+ a comment]

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2000
      BBC

      Sunday, 2 January, 2000

      Tories: Help Russia win in Chechnya

      The Tories have called on the government not to be over-critical of
      Russia's campaign in Chechnya and to work towards a quick Russian
      victory.

      Shadow foreign secretary John Maples said he wanted to see the Russians
      win the conflict as soon as possible, after reports that chemical
      weapons had been used by the Chechens.

      "We ought to be careful of the tone in which we criticise the Russians
      because there is not anything we can do about it anyway," he told Sky
      News.

      "The Russians are decided and set upon the policy they are pursuing, the
      sooner they are successful, the better."

      Asked about reports that the Chechen rebels had used chlorine and
      ammonia bombs against Russian troops, he said: "This is a total war and
      it is bound to be fought in very, very brutal ways.

      "All the West can do is try to persuade the Russians to seek a
      negotiated settlement wherever there appears to be an opportunity to do
      that and to do whatever we can to alleviate the suffering of refugees."

      (snip)

      It's difficult to judge -based on this text- if Mr Maples took the
      Russian allegations at face value, or if those lines are the work of the
      BBC journalist. Anyway, the apparent naivity (please forgive me, list,
      if I say "idiocy") of the Tory approach is still surprising. What do
      they think their own national interests are? I wonder if they realize
      that the regime the West has been supporting through a military coup
      (93) and a criminal war (94-96) now has shed all superficial
      "democratic" fig leaves and has come out as what it always has been in
      its core: a fascist conglomerate of the military-industrial complex and
      the KGB/FSB, ruled by a secret service figure with a power base in the
      generality. Structurally, this regime is similar to the military
      dictatorships which emerged in the economically devastated countries of
      Latin America during the 60s and 70s. It's the generals' Argentine with
      nukes - the Tories might remember what even those guys were capable of.
      Well, this line of argument might be rhetoric. I'm in fact much more
      afraid that they know exactly what is going on and have made the
      decision that keeping the present Fascist regime in Russia alive is in
      the national interests of Britain and the West, and that the Western
      think-tank "experts" have collectively said good-bye to the real world.

      Norbert
    • David McDuff
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2000
        Norbert,

        I think we should perhaps be thankful that the Tories are in
        opposition, and also reflect that their numbers and prestige are no
        longer very great. This can hardly be an influential call, though I
        agree it's a surprising - indeed shocking - one.

        Best regards,

        David