Itar-Tass: Secret services not to blame for Litvinenko’s death

  • Jeremy Putley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2006
      Secret services not to blame for Litvinenko's death - DefMin

      28.11.2006, 15.06

      MOSCOW, November 28 (Itar-Tass) -- Russia's Defence Minister Sergei
      Ivanov has ruled out the responsibility of Russian secret services
      for Alexander Litvinenko's death. (*)

      He expressed this opinion in an interview to German Der Spiegel
      weekly, published on the Defence Ministry's web site.

      "Yes, I can rule this out. It wouldn't make any sense," Ivanov, a
      former Federal Security Service (FSB) officer, said.

      "I don't know Litvinenko. All I know is that he was in charge of a
      department at the FSB that dealt with organized crime. Before
      joining the FSB, Litvinenko was part of a guard unit at a prison
      camp. He was apparently of no interest to anyone as a source of
      information," Ivanov said.

      (*) It should be remembered that FM Sergei Lavrov went public with a
      statement that the two Russian government agents who assassinated
      Zelimkhan Yandarbiyev were innocent, when they were found guilty of
      his murder. Why, therefore, should Sergei Ivanov be believed?
      Answer – he shoud not.
      JP
    • Marco Masi
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2006
        THE INFORMATION CENTER AT THE RUSSIAN-CEHCHEN FRIENDSHIP SOCIETY

        THE RUSSIAN-CHECHEN INFORMATION AGENCY

        Press-release ¹1981 from November 23, 2006

        In Nazran a quality control of the alcoholic drinks is carrying on Refugees from Ingushetia refuse to abandon their shelter in the settlement of Maisky

        Report from the Ingush Republic

        In Nazran a quality control of the alcoholic drinks is carrying on

        On 23 November 2006 in the town of Nazran of the Ingush Republic a quality control of the alcohol is carrying on. These measures are being taken against an increasing number of poisonings caused by bad alcohol drinks. The last accident happened on 18 November in Nazran to two guest workers from Georgia. The outcome was lethal for one of them, Gocha Ukleda (born in 1961). The other victim, Samukoshvili (born in 1952) is being reanimated in a hospital.

        Refugees from Ingushetia refuse to abandon their shelter in the settlement of Maisky

        On 23 November 2006 there was a new development in the situation of some 130 refugees from the Maisky settlement (Prigorodny district of North Ossetia). Today the RCIA has been informed that the North-Ossetian authorities attempted to move the refugees to a specially allocated settlement Novy situated no further than 500 meters from Maisky. The refugees are therefore proposed to sign a relinquishment of their immobility in North Ossetia and to take a land in the settlement Novy on a lease of three years. The displaced people refuse signing papers reasoning that they want to return to their permanent place of residence, the villages of the Prigorodny district. Another occasion for alarm is the term of a lease limited to three years. The refugees doubt that after the lease have expired they will lose this land and wander around with no shelter again. The settlement of Maisky has recently been visited by Aslambek Apaev, the head of the Committee for human rights of displaced
        people and expert of the Moscow Helsinki Group. He filmed the living conditions of the displaced people and promised assistance.

        It’s worth remembering that the situation in Maisky aggravated in the first half of November when the refugee camp was cut off the gas and electricity supply. As a result 35 refugee families, 29 members of which are children under 14, have to make fires for getting warm and cooking meals. The poor conditions of the displaced people got even worse with the cold break in the weather by the middle of November.

        (From our correspondent)

        The editor-in-chief Stanislav Dmitirevsky
        The editor of this issue Oksana Chelysheva

        Press-release ¹1983 from November 23, 2006

        A child returned home after therapy at a Moscow hospital An orthodox church was reopened in Grozny Two persons detained in the Ivanov settlement are suspected of being members of UAF

        Report from the Chechen Republic

        Achhoi-Martan district

        A child returned home after therapy at a Moscow hospital

        On 21 November 2006 Islam Ilyasov returned to Achhoi-Martan after therapy at a Moscow hospital. His relatives who met him and his mother in the Grozny airport were rejoiced to see Islam feeling much better after treatment. He can eat and drink when helped. He regained sensitivity and consciousness. He reacts to touch and conversation. The treatment will be continued in May 2007.

        The 10-years-old child injured in a motor accident went into a coma. At the beginning of February in Achhoi-Martan the RCIA reporter Petimat Tokaeva started collecting money for his treatment. The collected money amounts to 200 thousand rubles (see our press-release ¹1722 from 22.02.2006).

        An orthodox church was reopened in Grozny

        On 21 November 2006 the St-Michael church destroyed by the federal artillery during the first Chechen war in January 1995 was reopened. The renovation of this site is a part of the federal rebuilding program for Grozny.

        A distinguished deputation of the Russian religious communities headed by Feofan, the eparch of the Stavropol territory and Vladikavkaz, took part in the opening ceremony. They were greeted by the chief of the CR secretariat Has-Magomed Deniev. He gave to Feofan 100 thousand rubles from Ramzan Kadyrov. The eparch thanked the Chechen Prime Minister for his generous alms and performed the office for the dead federal soldiers.

        It’s necessary to point out that the former church was a historical building of the XIX century with its interior decorations, wall paintings, iconostasis, altar and authentic ornaments. The belfry, the dome and the floors being destroyed by the shelling, the building became just a hollow set of walls and an altar absis. The church was rebuilt but not restored. Its appearance and construction leave much to be desired. Evidently there was no design process at all. The former dome was replaced by five smaller ones, plain things on vulgar tholobates crowned with enormous graveyard-like crosses. The belfry is also very far from being authentic.

        However, the historical “Stalin’s” block flats (built in 1930-1950) are restored with great care. Their appearance will keep all authentic details, including complicated arched constructions.

        Two persons detained in the Ivanov settlement are suspected of being members of UAF

        On 19 November 2006 in the Ivanov settlement (Staropromyslovsky district of Grozny) the servicemen of the local police office detained Muslim Musaevich Elmurzaev (born in 1984) and Ramzan Hamzatovich Muradov (born in 1985). An anonymous source within the Chechen Ministry of the Interior reported that both of them played an active part in the detachment headed by the field commander Hamzat Shihsaidov. It was added that their section acted in the Chechen Grozny rural district. The detained persons reportedly admitted to be in the UAF.

        (From our correspondent)

        The editor-in-chief Stanislav Dmitirevsky
        The editor of this issue Oksana Chelysheva

      • sueannjane
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
          Marco, where did you get this information? I haven't been able to
          access their website since they were closed down. Is there another
          address? Your help would be appreciated...

          Sue-Ann
          --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, Marco Masi <marco_masi2003@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006

            Marco.

            THE INFORMATION CENTER AT THE RUSSIAN-CEHCHEN FRIENDSHIP SOCIETY

            THE RUSSIAN-CHECHEN INFORMATION AGENCY

            Press-release ¹1985 from November 25, 2006

            The Chechen Ministry of Interior claims that 35 combatants surrendered in Gudermes
            A car was fired in Kurchaloy, three people are shot dead.

            Report from the Chechen Republic

            The Chechen Ministry of Interior claims that 35 combatants surrendered in Gudermes

            According to the Chechen Ministry of Interior, 35 combatants surrendered in the district center Gudermes on 25 November 2006. There were some emirs among them, including the emir of the Nadterechny district Ibragim Zakaev. The combatants reportedly brought with them a lot of arms and ammunition.

            The prosecutor of the CR Vladimir Kalugin stated that the number of surrendered combatants amounted to 287. Most of them (247 people) were released after investigative activities.

            It’s worth remembering that on 15 July 2006 the FSB director Nikolay Patrushev, who is the head of the National Anti-Terrorism Committee, promised a fair justice to whose who would surrender before the 1 August 2006. Later this deadline was extended for some months.

            Kurcholoevsky district

            A “Zhiguli” car was fired in Kurchaloy, three people are shot dead.

            On 25 November 2006 the RCIA was informed that on 19 November 2006 in the district center Kurchaloy unknown persons targeted with submachine guns a “Zhiguli” car of the 10th model. The driver and his passengers – a woman and a man – were shot dead. The murderers drove away in a “Zhiguli” 2107. The local policemen could identify the dead driver as a road policeman. His name is kept secret up to the end of investigation.

            A burnt “Zhiguli” car 2107 was founded at the edge of Kurchaloy. The search for the murderers is carrying on.