Re: AP: National Bolsheviks allege Politkovskaya killing tied to her work toward tribunal on Chechnya

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
      Dear Mikael, David and list,

      It seems that the Russian Federation has just seen another expansion of
      virtual reality. For quite a while, virtual democracy in Russia has
      consisted of a virtual government party, virtual right-wing and left
      wing oppositions, and a virtual justice system. Now the mafiosi in
      control of that country have found out that it is also useful to have a
      virtual lunatic fringe. The National Bolsheviks and their funny-looking
      chairman are neither Stalinists nor Neo-Nazis. Their "ideology" is
      simply a crazy mixture of everything "extreme", but because it is
      necessary in order for them to be useful to the powers-that-be, they
      have added a few reasonable demands, like e.g. that Russia must withdraw
      from Chechnya. This is standard procedure in black ops all over the
      world: Let the lunatic fringe associate themselves with groups and
      demands you dislike, and they will be harmed by association. The
      National Bolshevik fraternization with the human rights movement is the
      interior version of the Taleban "recognition" of the ChRI, which the
      ChRI government plainly rejected. The media "forgot" this fact and
      associated Chechnya with the Taleban. Chechnya sure has its share of
      false friends. In the same way, the KGB mafia lets the virtual lunatic
      fringe associate with human rights organizations in order to discredit
      them.
      I don't quite understand the relations between the tribunal people and
      the National Bolsheviks, which the former accuse of having "let them
      down". Does this mean they voluntarily associated with those
      provocateurs? In that case they shouldn't be surprised that the NB-s use
      the connection in order to blow up the tribunal project.
      When will they ever learn.

      Best regards,
      Norbert

      David McDuff wrote:
      > Mikael -
      >
      > Isn't this intervention most probably one more of the attempts to
      > discredit the human rights movement in Russia which have become
      > evident in recent months? Another example was the participation of
      > radical nationalist groups in the July 11 pre-G8 summit conference in
      > Moscow. Valeria Novodvorskaya, who boycotted the conference,
      > justified her decision to do so as follows:
      >
      > "There are four organizations taking part in this congress that do
      > not fit into the Russian Constitution, the Declaration of Human
      > Rights, or the pact of civil and political rights," Novodvorskaya
      > said. "These are not European leftists; these are Stalinists and neo-
      > Nazis. This represents the downfall of the Russian democratic
      > movement, because the G8 will draw the following conclusion: 'We are
      > right to stand behind Putin, let him control this bedlam.'"
    • Eugenia Benigni
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
        Dear Norbert and all,

        This is an interesting comment which reminds me of a recent conversation I had with a representative of the Russian-Chechen Friendship Society. You out there probably know the persecution this NGO has been undergoing in the past few years, incl. the recent closure by the N. Novgorod region's prosecutor in coincidence with the murder of Politkovskaya.

        Well, among the threats they received some time ago, incl. the distribution of threatening leaflets with the activists' names, addresses and phone numbers, there was one 'authored' by the National Bolsheviks. When the NGO inquired, calling the NB directly, it turned out that in fact they had not authored the leaflets.

        Different story, but the bottom line is the same: someone out there is spreading out false info in order to discredit 'uncomfortable' individuals or organisations (or shut them down altogether).

        Regards,

        Eugenia