AP: National Bolsheviks allege Politkovskaya killing tied to her work toward tribunal on Chechnya

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
      Radical Russian party alleges Politkovskaya killing tied to her work
      toward tribunal on Chechnya

      Oct 31 2006

      MOSCOW (AP) - A radical Russian party alleged Tuesday that the murder of
      investigative journalist and rights activist Anna Politkovskaya was tied
      to her work on establishing an international tribunal on war crimes in
      Chechnya, and said top officials including President Vladimir Putin
      should be questioned in connection with the killing.

      "The result of the international tribunal's activity could be punishment
      in the form of imprisonment of a number of people from the leadership of
      the Russian Federation and Chechen Republic, including the top leaders,"
      the fringe party, the National Bolsheviks, said in a statement.

      "These people could have an obvious motive for 'ordering'
      Politkovskaya's killing insofar as with her death, work on preparing the
      international tribunal could be slowed for a long time or 'silenced'
      altogether."

      Politkovskaya, who investigated and publicized killings, abductions and
      other abuses against peaceful civilians in Chechnya, was gunned down in
      the entrance to her apartment building on Oct. 7. The
      Prosecutor-General's office has said it is pursuing several possible
      motives but it has not identified which is the main one pending
      completion of the investigation.

      However, the Kommersant daily reported last week that investigators were
      focusing their inquiry on former police officers linked to crimes
      against civilians in Chechnya.

      "We are certain that the investigation is being purposely put on ... the
      wrong track," the National Bolsheviks said.

      In an interview last week with Politkovskaya's newspaper, Novaya Gazeta,
      Russian rights activist Stanislav Dmitriyevsky said that he and
      Politkovskaya had started discussing a possible tribunal and that they
      had received the first funding. "We were preparing the juridical basis
      for this tribunal," he was quoted as saying.

      Shortly after Politkovskaya's killing, a Russian court shut down
      Dmitriyevsky's non-governmental organization, the Russian-Chechen
      Friendship Society. The NGO had campaigned energetically against the
      government's crackdown on separatists in Chechnya and published reports
      alleging torture, abductions and killings of civilians by Russian forces
      and their pro-Moscow Chechen allies.

      Prosecutors justified the demand for the group's closure under a new law
      that makes it illegal for an NGO to be headed by a person with a
      criminal record. Dmitriyevsky was convicted in February of inciting
      ethnic hatred and given a two-year suspended sentence.
    • Mikael Storsj√∂
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        I got a circulatory letter from one of the executives of the Russian-
        Chechen Friendship Society. I want to share the content of this
        letter with the group.
        / Mikael

        Dear friends,
        the situation keeps developing as yesterday National Bolsheviks came
        up with a new version of Anna's murder. Now they are claiming that
        she might have been killed because of her involvement into our
        tribunal project. They are demanding from the Prosecutor's office to
        interrogate Kadyrov, Putin, etc. It is clear that it is absolutely
        irresponsible political demagogy. Just another "uncle Vanya"
        explaining what caused "Titanic" catastrophe. They have never tried
        to turn to us to inquire what kind of relations there was between us
        and Anna on the tribunal. She was aware of the project. We discussed
        with her the main things and she told that would be ready to share
        the information accumulated by her. But she was not going to make it
        public (at least, at the initial stage of its implementation). And
        she was not involved into the project itself. The NBP have let us
        down, I feel, by drawing again too much unwanted attention. We
        shall see how the situation will develop. Some other colleagues have
        also hurried to disseminate the information further on. We don't
        have any opinion right now whether this "noise" will be advantageous
        or dangerous for us right now. What we detest in this situation is
        this politicization around the murdered colleague of ours. But we
        have not initiated it and would like it to quiet down.

        We feel that it is likely for the Prosecutor's office to make Stas a
        witness to the case if they decide to use this pretext to obstacle
        our activities even more. It will result in summoning us to
        interrogations. We fear that they might seize our hard discs under
        the pretext "to conduct thorough investigation" and so on. Right now
        we have to copy all the information to other devices to make it
        safe.

        You can find more details about the NBP claims by
        http://www.gazeta.ru/2006/10/31/oa_222265.shtml, http://www.demos-
        center.ru/news/14523.html and certainly http://nbp-
        info.ru/4635.html (there is an English version as well)

        --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, Norbert Strade <nost@...> wrote:

> [...]
        basis
        > for this tribunal," he was quoted as saying.
        >
        > Shortly after Politkovskaya's killing, a Russian court shut down
        > Dmitriyevsky's non-governmental organization, the Russian-Chechen
        > Friendship Society. The NGO had campaigned energetically against
        the
        > government's crackdown on separatists in Chechnya and published
        reports
        > alleging torture, abductions and killings of civilians by Russian
        forces
        > and their pro-Moscow Chechen allies.
        >
        > Prosecutors justified the demand for the group's closure under a
        new law
        > that makes it illegal for an NGO to be headed by a person with a
        > criminal record. Dmitriyevsky was convicted in February of
        inciting
        > ethnic hatred and given a two-year suspended sentence.

      • David McDuff
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          Mikael -

          Isn't this intervention most probably one more of the attempts to
          discredit the human rights movement in Russia which have become
          evident in recent months? Another example was the participation of
          radical nationalist groups in the July 11 pre-G8 summit conference in
          Moscow. Valeria Novodvorskaya, who boycotted the conference,
          justified her decision to do so as follows:

          "There are four organizations taking part in this congress that do
          not fit into the Russian Constitution, the Declaration of Human
          Rights, or the pact of civil and political rights," Novodvorskaya
          said. "These are not European leftists; these are Stalinists and neo-
          Nazis. This represents the downfall of the Russian democratic
          movement, because the G8 will draw the following conclusion: 'We are
          right to stand behind Putin, let him control this bedlam.'"

          http://tinyurl.com/ssg62

          DM

          --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, Mikael Storsjö

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
            Dear Mikael, David and list,

            It seems that the Russian Federation has just seen another expansion of
            virtual reality. For quite a while, virtual democracy in Russia has
            consisted of a virtual government party, virtual right-wing and left
            wing oppositions, and a virtual justice system. Now the mafiosi in
            control of that country have found out that it is also useful to have a
            virtual lunatic fringe. The National Bolsheviks and their funny-looking
            chairman are neither Stalinists nor Neo-Nazis. Their "ideology" is
            simply a crazy mixture of everything "extreme", but because it is
            necessary in order for them to be useful to the powers-that-be, they
            have added a few reasonable demands, like e.g. that Russia must withdraw
            from Chechnya. This is standard procedure in black ops all over the
            world: Let the lunatic fringe associate themselves with groups and
            demands you dislike, and they will be harmed by association. The
            National Bolshevik fraternization with the human rights movement is the
            interior version of the Taleban "recognition" of the ChRI, which the
            ChRI government plainly rejected. The media "forgot" this fact and
            associated Chechnya with the Taleban. Chechnya sure has its share of
            false friends. In the same way, the KGB mafia lets the virtual lunatic
            fringe associate with human rights organizations in order to discredit
            them.
            I don't quite understand the relations between the tribunal people and
            the National Bolsheviks, which the former accuse of having "let them
            down". Does this mean they voluntarily associated with those
            provocateurs? In that case they shouldn't be surprised that the NB-s use
            the connection in order to blow up the tribunal project.
            When will they ever learn.

            Best regards,
            Norbert

            David McDuff wrote:
            > Mikael -
            >
            > Isn't this intervention most probably one more of the attempts to
            > discredit the human rights movement in Russia which have become
            > evident in recent months? Another example was the participation of
            > radical nationalist groups in the July 11 pre-G8 summit conference in
            > Moscow. Valeria Novodvorskaya, who boycotted the conference,
            > justified her decision to do so as follows:
            >
            > "There are four organizations taking part in this congress that do
            > not fit into the Russian Constitution, the Declaration of Human
            > Rights, or the pact of civil and political rights," Novodvorskaya
            > said. "These are not European leftists; these are Stalinists and neo-
            > Nazis. This represents the downfall of the Russian democratic
            > movement, because the G8 will draw the following conclusion: 'We are
            > right to stand behind Putin, let him control this bedlam.'"
          • Eugenia Benigni
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
              Dear Norbert and all,

              This is an interesting comment which reminds me of a recent conversation I had with a representative of the Russian-Chechen Friendship Society. You out there probably know the persecution this NGO has been undergoing in the past few years, incl. the recent closure by the N. Novgorod region's prosecutor in coincidence with the murder of Politkovskaya.

              Well, among the threats they received some time ago, incl. the distribution of threatening leaflets with the activists' names, addresses and phone numbers, there was one 'authored' by the National Bolsheviks. When the NGO inquired, calling the NB directly, it turned out that in fact they had not authored the leaflets.

              Different story, but the bottom line is the same: someone out there is spreading out false info in order to discredit 'uncomfortable' individuals or organisations (or shut them down altogether).

              Regards,

              Eugenia