RIAN: Abducted MP set free in North Caucasus republic

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2006
      Abducted MP set free in North Caucasus republic

      RIA NOVOSTI. May 1, 2006, 8:13 PM

      NAZRAN, May 1 (RIA Novosti) - A local legislature member kidnapped two
      months ago was set free Monday in the course of a special police
      operation in Ingushetia, an Interior Ministry source in the North
      Caucasus republic said.

      "Magomed Chakhkiyev was released without any demands. He feels well,
      although he had been held for two months. After medical examination
      and necessary treatment, he will resume his duties in the near
      future," the source said.

      Police detained several people suspected of abducting the official.
      On February 27, Chakhkiyev was traveling home to Nazran, the
      republic's capital, when his car came under automatic rifle fire. The
      driver lost control of the car and collided with a crash barrier.
      Having knocked out the driver, the culprits abducted the MP. It was
      unknown whether Chakhkiyev had sustained any injuries.
      Chakhkiyev is chairman of the legislature 's Committee on Agrarian
      Policy, and the Ingushetian president's father-in-law.

      "The attack on and abduction of MP Chakhkiyev is a criminal attempt to
      destabilize the situation in the republic," the ministry spokesman
      said then
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2006
        Kommersant, No 78 (No 3409) 03.05.2006 (my quick tr)
        http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.html?docId=671045

        President Zyazikov's father-in-law ransomed during battle

        //liberation//

        Deputy of the local parliament Magomed Chakhkiyev,the father-in-law of
        the President of the republic Murat Zyazikov, kiddnaped two months ago
        has been freed in Ingushetia. According to the official version, it
        was possible to rescue the 72 yr-old politician in the course of
        special operation last Monday. Unofficially the Ingush operatives
        indicate the prisoner was simply let go, moreover already two weeks ago.

        [passage omitted]

        The operatives of local criminal investigation department tell us that
        they hadn't been assigned to search for the prisoner who was kidnapped
        by some group of masked gunmen on 27 February. The main administration
        of the Attorney General's Office for Southern Federal region and the
        security service of President Ingushetia Murat Zyazikov have been
        working on it.

        According to policemen, for the security guards ["bezopasniki"] it was
        possible to get in contact with the kidnappers and to begin
        negotiations with them. When for the both sides was possible to reach
        some agreement about a ransom or exchange, the boyeviks brought
        Magomed Chakhkiyev to a bus stop, located on the Kavkaz federal
        highway not far from a checkpoint at the administrative border with
        Chechnya, and they left him there. Then they reported to the deputy's
        relatives over the telephone about his location, and approximately in
        the middle of April Mr. Chakhkiyev came home. But they decided to hold
        the information about the release of president's father-in-law for two
        weeks - this time, most likely, this was required by participants in
        the events and by all interested parties in order to agree on their
        positions for the media.

        Sergei Mashkin