MosNews: First Chechen Rock Festival Cancelled — Source

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2005
      First Chechen Rock Festival Cancelled — Source

      02.07.2005
      MosNews

      An international rock festival planned for the Chechen town of Gudermes
      on July 5, has been cancelled, a source in a local low enforcement body
      told Gazeta.ru

      He also reported that a truck with stage equipment and instruments was
      stopped at à check-point between Chechnya and Ingushetia after Chechen
      government decided not to hold the festival.

      Nevertheless, a Chechen official speaking on conditions of anonymity
      dismissed the reports that the festival had been cancelled.

      A spokesman for the organizing committee told Gazeta.ru that more than
      15,000 tickets have already been sold, huge sums of money spent on the
      event’s preparations and advertising. (*)

      The head of the Chechen Republic’s government, Sergei Abramov, said
      earlier that “the festival will become the biggest event in Russia’s
      musical life this year.”

      A number of famous Russian bands agreed to take part in it. The
      performance was expected to last six hours and be rounded off with a
      firework display.

      * I doubt that the people will see their money again. N.S.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2005
        Jul 3 2005 11:30AM
        Chechen rock festival still under doubt

        NAZRAN. July 3 (Interfax) - Eight truckloads of stage equipment,
        musical instruments and other property belonging to rock groups that
        are expected to appear at the "Phoenix. Return to Life" rock festival
        are still waiting to be cleared into Chechnya at a checkpoint on the
        limits of Sleptsovskaya village in Ingushetia.

        The trucks were stopped two days ago on the Chechen-Ingush
        administrative border, but the convoy was told to move back deeper
        into Ingushetia on Saturday evening and security guards were attached
        to the convoy, Chechnya's official representative in Ingushetia Gilani
        Buldurov told Interfax.

        A source in the Chechen law enforcement earlier told Interfax the rock
        festival should not be held for objective reasons.

        Igor Tarasov, an aid to the Chechen prime minister, told Interfax,
        however, that preparations for the festival had been going on for a
        long time, all conditions have been created and security problems
        solved, and there are no reasons to cancel the event.

        The rock festival is to be held in Gudermes on July 5 under the Akhmad
        Kadyrov regional public foundation's aegis.