MT: (FYI) New Radio Station Puts Rights First

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Wednesday, June 1, 2005. Issue 3178. Page 3.

      New Radio Station Puts Rights First
      The Moscow Times

      ST. PETERSBURG -- Free Voice, a new St. Petersburg radio station
      focusing on human rights issues, went on the air Monday night with a
      mission to discuss rights abuses, ethnic tolerance and the environment.

      Free Voice, which is initially broadcasting from 1 a.m. to 2 a.m.
      daily, is the brainchild of Yuly Rybakov, a prominent human rights
      advocate. "The station's name refers to the freedom of speech in the
      discussions we broadcast," Rybakov said. "Our ultimate goal is to
      foster a new generation of civil society."

      Rybakov said the idea of creating the station came to him as he was
      considering ways to overcome a widening gap between authorities and
      the public.

      Free Voice editor Yevgenia Litvinova said the station would aim to
      serve as an example of how to be an independent media organization.
      "Those who think differently from rulers shouldn't feel alienated,"
      she added. "We are helping them by voicing alternative opinions to
      those transmitted by state-controlled outlets."

      Litvinova said several local companies are funding the station,
      including the city's automated waste-treatment plant.

      Radio programs will be posted on its web site, www.freevoice.ru.