Mosnews:Abductors of Slovak Aid Worker Demand $1 mln Ransom

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2004
      Abductors of Slovak Aid Worker Demand $1 mln Ransom
      Created: 03.08.2004 15:11 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 15:21 MSK,

      MosNews

      Miriam Jevikova, an aid worker from Slovakia who worked for a Czech
      refugee aid foundation, will be freed for a ransom of $1 million, her
      boss Martin Rozumek told Interfax by phone from Prague, saying that
      his company had received several phone calls from abductors.

      Miriam Jevikova went missing in early June during her trip to the
      Caucasus. In mid-July prosecutors in southern Russian city of
      Pyatigorsk launched investigation into her abduction, with sources in
      law enforcement bodies confirming that the woman was abducted for
      ransom.

      On Tuesday Martin Rozumek, the head of the refugee aid foundation,
      where Jevikova worked, told Interfax that he had received calls from
      abductors.

      "I confirm that the abductors have demanded a ransom for her
      liberation at the amount of $1 million from us. Altogether, we have
      received four calls. The first call came on 1 July. We have no idea
      as to who it was who called us and where he called from," Rozumek
      said. "We will do everything possible, but it is hard for us to raise
      such a sum, for we are a small organization," he added.

      He also said that he and his colleagues hope that Miriam Jevikova was
      alive and that she would be liberated soon.

      Miriam Jevikova, born 1976, went missing on 1 June en route from
      Pyatigrosk in the Stavropol Region to Vladikavkaz in North Ossetia.
      Memorial human rights group said that Jevikova left Pyatigorsk in a
      privately-owned taxi — a white Lada car. However, she never reached
      Vladikavkaz and her colleagues lost all communication with her.

      The prosecutor's office of the South Russia city of Pyatigorsk
      lauched probe into her abduction in July.