Re: Gazeta ru: Russia frees 1 Qatari detainee - diplomatic source

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
      Well, tomorrow we might get more details on this story and some
      things might change. Right now, it looks that not everything has gone
      according to FSB's plan (as usual, FSB spooks haven't done their
      homework 100%, but I guess they thought that they got lucky seeing
      Qatari passports at the airport on that particular day). Depending on
      the stand of Belarus, the FSB might be able to hold only this
      Akhmedov guy, because of his dual citizenship, but let's wait and see
      if Qatar is really going to pursue with the rumored swap, presently
      the better odds are on the Qatari side. M.L.

      http://grani.ru/Politics/Russia/FSB/m.62073.html (my tr)

      The detained Qatari athletes proved to be Belorussians

      In the Ministry of Interrior of Belorussia they confirmed the
      Belorussian citizenship of those detained in Russia at
      the "Sheremetyevo Airport-2" members of the Qatar team Aleksandr
      Dubrovski and Ibat Akhmedov. Furthermore, they said in the embassy ,
      that at present time only Akhmedov is in Russia, Dubrovsky has
      already departed to Qatar.

      As the chief of administration for information, the press- secretary
      of Belorussian Department of Foreign Policy Andrey Savinykh reported
      to Interfax, that "information about the arrest in Russia of
      Aleksandr Dubrovskiy and Ibat Akhmedov wasn't totally correct".

      "Dubrovskiy is the city of Doha right now. Situation with Akhmedov is
      being clarified by the consular department of embassy of Belorussia
      in Russia at the present time. As a citizen of Belorussia, legal and
      consular aid will be rendered to him" - stated Savinykh.

      According Interfax, Akhmedov has a dual citizenship. He was flying
      from Moscow on his Qatari passport. In his travelling documents he's
      been cited as a citizen of Qatar. Dubrovsky flew on his Belorussian
      passport. Immediately after founding of Dubrovskiy's citizenship they
      escorted him to the airplane, and apologized for the "caused
      inconveniences".

      01.03.2004

      --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, "mariuslab2002" <mariuslab@s...>
      wrote:
      > 01 March 2004 18:43
      > Russia frees 1 Qatari detainee - diplomatic source
      >
      > According to unconfirmed information from the Belarussian embassy
      in
      > Russia, Qatari citizen Ibat Akhmedov, detained by the Russian
      > authorities at Moscow's Sheremetyevo-2 airport, has been freed.
      >
      > "The consular service has established that Akhmedov is a citizen of
      > Qatar. Reports that he has Belarussian and Qatari citizenship are
      not
      > true, as Belarussian laws do not allow dual citizenship.
      Unconfirmed

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2004
        Ekho Moskvy, 02 March 2004 [BBC Monitoring]
        Belarusian athlete caught in Russian-Qatari row released - diplomat

        [No dateline, as received] One of the [two] Qatari athletes detained
        in Russia has been released, a consul with the Russian embassy to
        Belarus, Vyacheslav Streltsov, has told Ekho Moskvy radio. He said
        that when the detainees' papers had been studied, "it turned out that
        one of them was a Belarusian citizen - Aleksandr Dubrovskiy. He was
        immediately released and left for Qatar. The other man, Ibad
        Akhmedov, had a Qatari passport on him. I cannot say when he will be
        released and why he has been detained. This issue should be resolved
        together with representatives of the Russian side," Streltsov said.