PW: Human rights activists to keep eye on Kadyrov

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2004
      February 2nd 2004 · Prague Watchdog

      Human rights activists to keep eye on Kadyrov

      Timur Aliyev, North Caucasus – Akhmad Kadyrov and various human rights
      organizations will work together in the issue of repatriation of Chechen
      refugees from Ingushetia, stated Ella Pamfilova, head of the Russian
      presidential human rights commission on January 30, during her visit to
      Chechnya and Ingushetia.

      According to her, “Kadyrov is a reality we cannot change, and so we have
      to use this opportunity to help the people. If Kadyrov issues orders,
      someone has to check their fulfillment. And this is the task for human
      rights defenders."

      Kadyrov is the man who will bear responsibility for any rights
      violations of the refugees, she explained, after visiting the refugee
      camps in Ingushetia. "I’m very displeased by the fact that in these
      camps there are officials of various [state] agencies who cannot talk
      with the people on a humane level. Instead of satisfying people, they
      puff themselves up and act like big shots," said Pamfilova.

      Pamfilova also stressed that forcible repatriation of refugees as well
      as setting a deadline for closing the camps cannot be allowed.

      The agreement was reached during a meeting between Kadyrov, members of
      the presidential commission, and the human rights organization Memorial
      in Grozny.

      In January, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree according
      to which Russian presidential human rights commissioner for Chechnya
      Abdul-Khakim Sultygov was dismissed and Akhmad Kadyrov, whom the Kremlin
      installed as president of the republic in manipulated elections in
      October 2003, effectively took over his duties, i.e. responsibility for
      the human rights situation in the republic.