(chechen) SUICIDE BOMBER KILLS 5 IN KABUL

  • ghyaza00
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
      FREE SUBSCRIPTION. Readers are urged to subscribe to IWPR's full range
      of electronic publications at: http://www.iwpr.net/sub_form.html

      WELCOME TO IWPR'S AFGHAN RECOVERY REPORT, No. 95, December 30, 2003

      SUICIDE BOMBER KILLS 5 IN KABUL

      By Bashir Gwakh in Kabul

      A suicide bomber killed himself and five intelligence agents Sunday
      evening near Kabul airport. Three others were injured.

      According to intelligence sources, the bomber was a 35-year-old Chechen
      named Abdullah. They said intelligence agents were trailing a car which
      contained the Chechen and his companion, an unnamed Afghan. The
      intelligence agents stopped the car, searched it, and removed a bomb.

      According to the intelligence sources, they then took the Chechen to
      their car, when they got inside it the Chechen detonated himself,
      killing the five intelligence agents along with himself. The bomber's
      Afghan companion is now in custody.

      One of the agents who were killed was Abdul Jalal, a bodyguard for
      Defence Minister Marshal Fahim.

      A police source said that the condition of one of those injured was
      critical.

      A senior policeman said "the bombing was the act of al-Qaida and the
      Taleban in order to frighten the people, and that they wanted to
      sabotage the Loya Jirga."

      But Hamid Aqa ,a Taleban spokesman,told the BBC that the Taleban had no
      part in the attack.

      Over the past two weeks during the Loya Jirga, there have been several
      explosions and rocket attacks in Kabul. On Thursday morning a U.N.
      guesthouse in Shashdarak was bombed. There was little damage to the
      buildin and there were no injuries.

      There was another explosion at a hotel in front of the customs office on
      the outskirts of Kabul at the beginning of last week. Five people were
      injured in that attack.

      Molvi Mohammad Younos, a senior Taleban commander, was arrested last
      Monday in Helmand Province. Four rockets were fired on Kabul soon after
      his arrest. On the same day, a bomb exploded near the United Nations
      Assistance Mission for Afghanistan office in Kandahar. There was little
      damage and no injuries.

      On the road to Kabul from Jalalabad, a "night letter" was distributed
      Saturday from Taleban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar, demanding, "Everywhere
      you see the Americans and invaders, kill them. The blood of them is not
      a sin to God."

      The letter also told Afghans to "raise your voice against the ongoing
      Loya Jirga and rise against America and do not accept the constitution
      made in America's shadow."

      Bashir Gwakh is an independent journalist from Jalalabad participating
      in IWPR's Loya Jirga reporting project.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
        Hello,

        I've watched how this report was developing on the BBC News TV
        Channel, at first its commentator was asking some pundit (if Im' not
        mistaken, a Pakistani) that there was this attack and the bomber was
        a Chechen. The pundit didn't confirm this so I thought that's the end
        of this story, it's not even worth to post it on our list, even when
        all the major news agencies also reported this story.

        In regards to IWPR, one would expect something more from it. The
        author of this article - Bashir Gwakh, doesn't even mention, what
        source had claimed that "this was the Chechen" bomber, he's alleges
        it came from the Afghan intelligence, whose has got also his
        accomplice (companion) in custody, from whom, of course, we we will
        never know the nationality or ethnicity of the bomber.

        It appears, that it was this Taliban "spokesman" Abdul [Abdus] Samad
        (who actually in not their spokesman, and could be anybody [re: BBC
        from Peshawar]) who said about "the Chechen bomber" and that's how
        the story begun.

        It's too bad that journalists writing for IWPR don't go that extra
        mile - to get the whole picture of the story.

        FYI http://www.diacritica.com/sobaka/2003/breakdown.html
        INSTITUTIONAL BREAKDOWN: Censorship, bias, politics at the IWPR

        Although, this petty good article about IWPR deals with different
        issues, it's a caution for us, it's better not treat their reports at
        face value anymore. Of course, I don't believe that Bashir Gwakh had
        some hidden agenda or did that on purpose, maybe except, that not
        Afghans, but foreigners are blowing themselves up in Kabul, and
        Chechens (aliens from the north) come handy. M.L.
        AFP Dec.29, 2003

        -snip-

        A terrorist carrying explosives in a pressure cooker was chased and
        arrested," a security source said on condition of anonymity.

        "After he was arrested he was put in the car and then the bomb
        exploded," he said.

        [ Kabul ]Police chief Jan said the bomber was a foreigner, without
        providing more details on his identity.

        The Taliban spokesman said the attack had been carried out by a man
        named Abdullah, a 35-year-old from Chechnya.

        "We claim the responsibility for the suicide attack today in Kabul,"
        the spokesman, who calls himself Abdul Samad, said via satellite
        phone.

        "He was walking toward the ISAF base in Kabul airport to carry out a
        suicide attack. The second option was if he could not reach the base
        he would target ISAF patrols or other coalition vehicles driving on
        that road but he was arrested by Afghan security and he carried out
        the suicide attack and killed himself and five others."

        The Taliban spokesman said other suicide bombers would attack ISAF
        troops, coalition forces and people working for the United Nations
        and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

        "A group of 60 suicide bombers have entered Kabul city. Their target
        will be ISAF, the coalition, UN, and other NGOs or people working for
        foreigners," he added.

        "We are more organised now; we will focus our attacks on cities now
        rather than the borders," he said, referring to a wave of violence
        along the eastern border blamed on Taliban militants.

        -snip-
        Afghan Taliban "spokesman" says suicide bombers to attack US targets

        attackers belonged to Chechnya: Taleban , published by Pakistani
        newspaper Ausaf in Urdu on 30 December [BBC Monitoring]

        North Waziristan: In a dispatch from across the border, Abdus
        [Abdul?] Samad, claiming to be the Taleban spokesman, has said that
        the Taleban accepts the responsibility of the attack on the airport.

        Similarly, a 60-member suicide bomber squad has entered Kabul and
        will carry out suicide attacks on US and allied interests, and will
        ruin plans of the Karzai regime and the United States. Abdus Samad
        said that yesterday's attack on the airport was carried out by 25-
        year-old Chechen mojahed, Abdullah.

        It will become clear to the world very soon that the Taleban are
        really a big and organized force in the world, particularly in
        Afghanistan. The foreign forces will be compelled to quit Afghanistan.
        http://www.myafghan.com/news2.asp?id=-1105334070

        Afgan News Network

        Six dead in Kabul car explosion

        (BBC) - A huge bomb blast has killed at least six people - including
        four police officers and a security official - near the airport in
        the Afghan capital.

        A suicide bomber is believed to have detonated the device when police
        tried to arrest him.

        The dead included the head of the Afghan defence minister's personal
        security, and several other people were critically injured in the
        blast.

        Peacekeeping troops quickly cordoned off the highway west of the
        airport.

        A spokesman for the Taleban militia denied reports that they were
        behind the bomb blast.

        Hamid Agha told the BBC in the Pakistani city of Peshawar that Mullah
        Abdul Samad - quoted as the Taleban representative who had claimed
        responsibility for the attack - was not their spokesman.

        The deaths come four days after a home-made bomb damaged the outer
        wall of a United Nations residential compound.

        Security in Kabul is already high for the loya jirga - or grand
        council - which has been debating the country's future in the
        capital.

        -snip-

        - Article submitted at 2:31 PM (CST) on 12/28/2003
> [...]
        after
        > his arrest. On the same day, a bomb exploded near the United Nations
        > Assistance Mission for Afghanistan office in Kandahar. There was
        little
        > damage and no injuries.
        >
        > On the road to Kabul from Jalalabad, a "night letter" was
        distributed
        > Saturday from Taleban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar,
        demanding, "Everywhere
        > you see the Americans and invaders, kill them. The blood of them
        is not
        > a sin to God."
        >
        > The letter also told Afghans to "raise your voice against the
        ongoing
        > Loya Jirga and rise against America and do not accept the
        constitution
        > made in America's shadow."
        >
        > Bashir Gwakh is an independent journalist from Jalalabad
      • RYP
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
          From my discussions and knowledge, IWPR is primarily a training and
          local support organization for local journos. Great idea but these are
          local people learning how to be journalists. I just spent 5 weeks
          along the border and in Kabul and had an interesting discussion with a
          CIA paramilitary who says they were looking for Chechens in Miriam
          Shah...Although they insisted they were there, they never actually
          found any. Same thing goes for the battle during Anaconda. The US
          Special Forces insisted that there were Chechens there but they all
          were killed in a holding action while the rest retreated. Upon
          discussion with people on the battlefield. same story. Bodies
          identified as Chechens by Afghans never had any proof.

          Also went to the place the Chechens stayed during the taliban era. No
          proof o chechens but people who "looked like they came from Chechnya."

          Plenty of afghans will swear that Kabul was crawling with Chechens. But
          my time in Khost and the area round the border. Same old story. Plenty
          of Arabs and Pakistanis (And other foriegners) but no proof of
          chechens.

          The mystery deepens

          RYP

          [Copy of previous thread messages removed by the moderator]
        • ghyaza00
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
            --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, "mariuslab2002" <mariuslab@s...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            > It appears, that it was this Taliban "spokesman" Abdul [Abdus] Samad
            > (who actually in not their spokesman, and could be anybody >
            The name Abdul Samad Ghaus appears in the bibliography of a CIA document entitled
            "Predicting the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan....."
            at:
            http://www.odci.gov/csi/monograph/afghanistan/index.html

            Ghaus, Abdul Samad, The Fall of Afghanistan: An Insider's Account (Washington, DC, Pergamon-Brassey, 1988).
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
              Abdul-Samad translates in Arabic - as "Servant of the Eternal" -
              there thousands of people who bear at least part of this name; from
              politicians, scientists to military personnel etc. So if someone
              having that name wrote this book means absolutely nothing. M.L.

              --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, "ghyaza00" <slaves-are-

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, "mariuslab2002" <mariuslab@s...> wrote:
                > Abdul-Samad translates in Arabic - as "Servant of the Eternal" -
                > there thousands of people who bear at least part of this name; from
                > politicians, scientists to military personnel etc. So if someone
                > having that name wrote this book means absolutely nothing. M.L.

                It means that the FSB in their clumsy (as usual)
                attempt to convince Washington that the Chechens
                are international terrorists, have intentionally
                chosen this name in order to present the source
                as vague and untracable.
                It also raises suspicion that rhe entire event
                was orchestrated from Lubyanka. S.S.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                  Seems to me, that some people really see and blame the Russian secret
                  services for anything what goes all over the world and might be
                  linked to a Chechen subject.
                  Btw, please recheck again your own post #34216, when the governor of
                  Afghani province of Paktika - Mohammed Ali Jalali mentions, that
                  among Arabs and Uzbeks who penetrated his province from the Pakistani
                  side driving on motorcycles to assault the American forces there,
                  were also Chechens. I bet, that in your view, he was probably bribed
                  by the FSB too.

                  I'm totally fed up with this subject - it's been established (not
                  only by Brian Williams and Robert Young Pelton) that those "Chechens"
                  to Afghanis and Pakistanis represent any people from the "North". It
                  doesn't even make any sense to blame western news agencies, western
                  intelligence and military officials who are there, because they just
                  repeat and report what the locals are telling them. Its' obvious that
                  they don't care (should they?) what nationality or ethnicity of those
                  alleged foreigners is, but that's a separate issue.

                  So Robert, there's no mystery here - but you were right in your
                  latest post about those "Chechens swarming in Kabul". I can also
                  recall, CNN perennial queen, Ch. Amanpour's report from Kabul, after
                  it was captured by the Northern Alliance forces, talking about
                  probably the same "Chechens" robbing jewellery merchants there.

                  Coming back to the Russian secret services, I assume that a few of
                  our list members can recall that report from ABC News broadcast(#
                  29868 posting, and still on the ABC News site), citing the US Custom
                  Service, which had been tipped by the Russian FSB, that two
                  Chechen "terrorists" are making their way up to Montana. Well, Ive
                  just finished reading Thomas Goltz book "Chechnya Diary" - and I
                  agree with Mr. Uzzell's review of this book, I also think, that it
                  was very important to record the massacre in Samashki (the town's
                  name means in Chechen - the Place of Deer) on camera and paper. But
                  on top of that, specially, the two last pages and the two last
                  sentences written in his book kind of made my day and I think my $30
                  was well spent.

                  I can give a hint for these who haven't read his book, how it was
                  possible that the story of Chechen "terrorists" who were going to
                  Montana, showed up on the US authorities screens, thanks to the FSB's
                  tip.

                  Thomas Goltz lives in Montana, and he talked to some people in Moscow
                  and in Kazakhstan, where actually, one of the defenders (Hussein) of
                  Samashki had to escape.

                  Let me cite these two sentences on the last page of his book, which
                  end and summarise his story very nicely. He was literaly on the last
                  page of correcting his munuscript, when he saw through his office's
                  window two young deer standing in his garden.

                  They are the Chechens visitors to Montana that ABC warned me to
                  look out for, friends, symbols from my muddy little town on the north
                  of Chechen plain.

                  Samashki, the Place of Deer.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                    I suppose its an inside joke but people like Peter Jouvenal, Tom Goltz,
                    myself and other people who have spent hard time in Chechnya always
                    check whenever "Chechens" are mentioned invading, traveling, sneaking
                    in and infiltrating since it just may be an old friend coming to visit
                    :)))))

                    PS National Geographic Channel has green lit the show on Chechnya so at
                    long last I will be able to return and finish the doco. Unless of
                    course there are swarms of Chechens coming to Southern California then
                    perhaps I could just film it in my back yard.....

                    As for the Russian secret service (and any other government agency)
                    ever notice how transparent government agencies are usually found to be
                    incompetent, lazy, confused, moribund and corrupt and yet somehow the
                    intel ones are capable of incredible feats of intelligence, global
                    efficiency and skill??

                    RYP

                    Robert Young Pelton
                    1874 South Pacific Coast Highway
                    Redondo Beach, CA 90277

                    1 310 941 2098
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                      Dear list,

                      To start with, a word on the Afghanistan attack and the "Chechen link".
                      It is completely ridiculous if any member of the press who considers
                      him/herself serious, takes a "Taleban phone call" at face value.
                      Everybody can call himself all kinds of things and phone lots of media
                      with lots of stories. As long as the current war in Chechnya continues,
                      no terrorist attack in the US "zone of interest" will pass without a
                      call or a "source" claiming a Chechen link. And as long as the current
                      faux "war on terrorism" continues, all "Taleban" and "Al-Qaeda" phone
                      calls, plus the endlessly recycled old Osama videos, will be swallowed
                      raw by the so-called responsible and independent media. That's a law of
                      (human) nature.

                      With this said, here are a few Chechen ghost stories which so far
                      escaped a broader public (so I hope that nobody reads this - take it as
                      New Years' humour :).

                      Italian troops in Iraq were killed by "Chechens" or "Arabs with Chechen
                      ancestry" - outlookindia.com (as I said in another posting, India is a
                      hotbed of hibernated pro-Soviet influence agents). This ghost story is
                      also an example how the KGB-created image of Chechens as notorious
                      suicide bombers has infected the international media:

                      Nov 12, 2003
                      JIHADI ANGER
                      B. RAMAN

                      (snip)

                      Being a suicide attack, the explosion targeting the Italians is most
                      probably the work of non-Iraqis. There is so far no reliable evidence of
                      any Iraqi, Sunni or Shia, participating in suicide explosions. According
                      to sources in the Binori madrasa of Karachi, most of the suicide blasts
                      in Iraq have been carried out by the Chechen members of the IIF,
                      particularly of the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LET).

                      There has recently been an infiltration of two fresh groups with a total
                      strength of about 70, most of them Arab nationals of Chechen ancestry,
                      into Iraq from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Jordan, taking the total
                      number of foreign jihadis operating in Iraq to about 270 to 320.

                      (snip)(end)

                      Being of alleged "Chechen or Arab origin" suggests "Al-Qaeda links" -
                      notice the stringent logic!

                      Taliban says killed UN woman
                      Tue 18 November, 2003 13:47

                      By Saeed Ali Achakzai

                      SPIN BOLDAK, Afghanistan (Reuters)

                      (snip)

                      U.S. military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Bryan Hilferty said on
                      Tuesday that five "international terrorists" had been killed in a
                      weekend clash in Paktika province. The men were of Chechen or Arab
                      origin, he said, suggesting al Qaeda links.

                      (end)

                      The recent attack on Pakistan's Musharraf - Chechens, of course - now
                      also linked to Kashmir:

                      PTI

                      Jaish under scanner for Musharraf attack

                      December 28, 2003

                      (snip)

                      At least 20 people have been detained for question into the Christmas
                      Day attack, Pakistani daily The Nation reported. The paper also said the
                      other bomber involved was believed to be a Chechen.

                      (snip)

                      However, there appeared to be a few details regarding the identity of
                      the Chechen militant, who believed to have belonged to a Chechen group
                      owing allegiance to al-Qaeda.

                      (snip) (end)
                      --------------

                      ISLAMABAD, Dec. 28 (Xinhuanet) -- One assailant who launched a suicide
                      attack at President Musharraf on Thursday has been identified as a
                      Chechen and the other a member of Kashmiri militant outfit banned two
                      years ago, local newspaper The Nation reported Sunday.

                      (snip)

                      Information Minister Sheikh Rashid and Interior Minister Hayat confirmed
                      earlier that the attackers were non-Pakistanis. The identity of the two
                      terrorists, the investigators claim, has confirmed the links between
                      Kashmir and Chechen militant groups.

                      (snip) (end)
                      ---------------

                      But unfortunately, the "Chechen" wasn't a Chechen anyway...

                      Who is behind Rawalpindi attack? Sleuths have clues
                      HindustanTimes.com
                      New Delhi, December 30

                      (snip)

                      The other attacker, initially believed to be a Chechen, was later found
                      to be an Afghan Walid Sultan, who carried a fake ID which showd him as
                      an NWFP resident. He is suspected to have Taliban or Al-Qaeda link.

                      (snip) (end)

                      Finally, my latest favourite story: Chechens blew up the Buddha statues!

                      Expert wants Afghan Buddhas rebuilt
                      Wed 12 November, 2003 18:14

                      By Robert Evans

                      GENEVA (Reuters) - Afghanistan's world-famous giant Buddhas of Bamiyan,
                      blown up in 2001 by al Qaeda fighters under the rule of the Taliban,
                      could be built anew in concrete replicas, a Swiss expert says.

                      (snip)

                      When efforts to bring them down with artillery fire failed, Afghans say,
                      Chechen sappers working with Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda were called in
                      and directed forced labour teams in planting explosives in holes bored
                      in the statues.

                      (snip) (end)

                      - This Mr. Evans from Reuters deserves the Goebbels Prize for Propaganda
                      (perhaps we should found one?). According to this "journalist", the
                      Taleban were apparently too dumb to blow up the statues. So they call
                      the ubiquitous chimaera OBL to do it. He's apparently too dumb as well,
                      so he calls his "Chechens". Everybody knows that "the Chechens" are good
                      at blowing things up. But of course, genetically disposed towards
                      kidnapping and slave trading, these "Chechens" won't touch the drilling
                      machines themselves, but catch a bunch of people to place them in
                      "forced labour teams", so they can do the drilling. And voilà, the poor
                      Buddhas come down. That's how you do these things.

                      Best regards,
                      Norbert
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                        mariuslab2002 wrote:

                        > Seems to me, that some people really see and blame the Russian secret
                        > services for anything what goes all over the world and might be
                        > linked to a Chechen subject.
                        > Btw, please recheck again your own post #34216, when the governor of
                        > Afghani province of Paktika - Mohammed Ali Jalali mentions, that
                        > among Arabs and Uzbeks who penetrated his province from the Pakistani
                        > side driving on motorcycles to assault the American forces there,
                        > were also Chechens. I bet, that in your view, he was probably bribed
                        > by the FSB too.
                        >
                        > I'm totally fed up with this subject - it's been established (not
                        > only by Brian Williams and Robert Young Pelton) that those "Chechens"
                        > to Afghanis and Pakistanis represent any people from the "North". It
                        > doesn't even make any sense to blame western news agencies, western
                        > intelligence and military officials who are there, because they just
                        > repeat and report what the locals are telling them. Its' obvious that
                        > they don't care (should they?) what nationality or ethnicity of those
                        > alleged foreigners is, but that's a separate issue.

                        Dear Marius, gyaza00, RYP and list,

                        I think you are right here. It doesn't work like that - the KGB doesn't
                        have to initiate every single crazy "Chechen" story. The main work of
                        the KGB disinformers was done during the preparation phase of the
                        current war. It started with bombarding the world with endless stories
                        about real and invented kidnappings in Chechnya, whatever they were
                        committed by Chechen criminals or KGB-affiliated provocateurs, never
                        forgetting to blame "the Chechens" - at least between the lines - as a
                        collectively criminal people. In the end, the world got the impression
                        that there had been thousands of kidnappings, and that this was the
                        normal way of life in Chechnya - while in reality, there might have been
                        a few hundred kidnappings, on top of it with all the politically
                        important ones carried out by Russia's own paid thugs.
                        When the war actually started and the scene for it was set among other
                        places in Daghestan, the Russian propaganda quickly transformed the
                        "Chechen bandit" image into a "Chechen Islamist" image. Since the
                        international press had already to a large degree swallowed the first
                        version, it didn't need much efforts to make them change their lines
                        accordingly. It has been analyzed more than once how the KGB regime
                        understood that the "Islamists" would be the West's new Emmanuel
                        Goldstein for some time to come, so they jumped on the bandwaggon and
                        delivered a "new and improved" racist image of the Chechen nation.

                        Contrary to Marius, though, I believe that the Western agencies etc.
                        actually are very much to blame, since they *do not do their job*, which
                        is at least to cross-check the informations they receive. It's so easy
                        for the Russian propaganda to play with them, exactly because they
                        aren't up to their task.
                        E.g., in order to create the image of a world-wide "Chechen threat",
                        it's enough to plant the first one-two stories about Chechens in
                        Afghanistan, India, Japan, Montana. The rest will be done by the Western
                        journaille and their local informers for free, because these stories are
                        self-propagating, and the mythology is self-developing. This is how,
                        after an initial "detonator", placed e.g. by the loads of influence
                        agents left by the Soviets especially in the Indian press, the "local
                        sources" in Afghanistan and Pakistan will begin to feed back the stories
                        about Chechens everywhere to the journalists who had brought them in the
                        first place, and thus the whole thing goes into a loop. That's what we
                        are witnessing now, with every single attack on whoever it might be, to
                        be blamed on "Chechens" to start with.
                        The Western & international agencies are in this context guilty of
                        another fault. While the "Chechen ghost" stories are propagated all over
                        the world, into even the smallest provincial newspapers (just try a
                        search for one of them and find in which obscure places it turned up),
                        the corrections never make it anywhere. This is also "normal", because
                        the original story about Chechens blowing up people in Afghanistan is
                        "interesting news" and at the same time fits into the present
                        international hysteria-mongering, while some dry note that the
                        perpetrator actually was a local won't interest anybody - by that time
                        the caravan would already have reached the next "Chechen terrorist act".
                        The Russian propaganda officials know all this very well. If there's any
                        field where they once were leading, it's this type of desinformation
                        campaigns. You just start the thing and the rest will run itself.

                        Where the "international community" and its so-called independent press
                        really fail is the intented content of these campaigns: to describe the
                        Chechen people as a collective threat to the world. Ten years ago, only
                        few people had ever heard about a place called Chechnya and its
                        population. Now, everyone who reads newspapers and watches TV news
                        "knows" that "the Chechens" are behind Islamist terrorist attacks all
                        over the world, that "they" are in close contact with the "Al-Qaidea"
                        chimaera, and that these "Chechens" have the ability to turn up and
                        wreak havoc in the most remote places (from Montana to Japan). Otherwise
                        perfectly intelligent people, who are conditioned by this "information
                        strategy" will automatically doubt the few surfacing stories about the
                        genocide committed by the Russian fascists in Chechnya, and perhaps even
                        wish the war criminals luck with their "counter-terrorist operation". In
                        this way, the Russian propaganda does its best in order to describe "the
                        Chechen nation" as a threat to the rest of the world, as an "inferior
                        race" which it is legitimate to persecute wherever they appear, i.e., it
                        tries to abuse the Chechen people in the same way as the Nazis abused
                        the Jews.

                        In my opinion, the originators of this racist and genocidal propaganda
                        campaign and those who are aiding them knowingly and intentionally,
                        ought to be brought to justice under the Nurmeberg principles, on the
                        same charges as e.g. the leading Nazi propagandist Julius Streicher
                        (editor of "Der Stürmer").

                        Best regards,
                        Norbert
                      • RYP
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                          The closest thing I can think of that would compare would be the war
                          against the Soviets in Afghanistan. Back then the muj were all called
                          "bandits" and the arabs that fought were called "afghans". This name
                          stuck and even in the 90's the arabs were called "afghans" when they
                          returned to their home country. In the mid 90's there were plenty of
                          stories about "afghans" in Algeria, the Philippines and even Chechnya
                          even though they were not Afghans. Then you have the popular confusion
                          today that somehow Afghans were behind 9/11. And most recently you have
                          Americans shooting Arabs and Taliban even though there is no physical
                          way to determine who is a Talib. And in a very recent incident when i
                          was in Khost the Americans said the dead fighters were Arabs because
                          people at the closest village to were they were killed couldn't
                          recognize them.

                          But on another point I am surprised how the media has not pointed out
                          how many Chechens are in Jordan and Turkey fighting or supporting on
                          the other side. And I have never read a story about American Chechens
                          in the US military....but I suppose that would just confuse things. :)

                          RYP
                        • marco_masi2003
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2004
                            We have not to go so far as the Indian press. The attack on the
                            Italian headquarters in Iraq, was called by some Italian media as
                            an "attack with Chechen modalities" (as if suicide attacks with TNT
                            filled trucks is an exclusive from Chechnya). Especially the Italian
                            newspaper "Corriere della Sera" dedicated a whole page with a
                            detailed technical description on the "Chechen technique" in Iraq.
                            They never stated explicitly that Chechens were behind all this, but
                            I'm sure that next time where Tony Blair will tell us about "Chechens
                            in Iraq", the readers of the Corriere della Sera will certainly
                            regard his statements as very credible.

                            Marco.

                            PS: BTW it is sometimes hard to escape the feeling, at least for me,
                            that among some people of the Corriere della Sera, who continuously
                            see "terror cells of Chechen separatists" everywhere and worldwide,
                            there isn't nothing more than simple ignorance (just to avoid
                            mentioning some names: Fabrizio Dragosei, Guido Olimpo and Sergio
                            Romano, a former Italian ambassador in Moscow).

                            [snip]

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 4, 2004
                              --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, RYP <ryp@c...> wrote:
                              I suppose its an inside joke but people like Peter Jouvenal, Tom
                              Goltz, myself and other people who have spent hard time in Chechnya
                              always check whenever "Chechens" are mentioned invading, traveling,
                              sneaking in and infiltrating since it just may be an old friend
                              coming to visit
                              > :)))))

                              PS National Geographic Channel has green lit the show on Chechnya so
                              at long last I will be able to return and finish the doco. Unless of
                              course there are swarms of Chechens coming to Southern California
                              then perhaps I could just film it in my back yard.....

                              As for the Russian secret service (and any other government agency)
                              ever notice how transparent government agencies are usually found to
                              be incompetent, lazy, confused, moribund and corrupt and yet somehow
                              the intel ones are capable of incredible feats of intelligence,
                              global efficiency and skill??

                              > RYP

                              Hi Robert,

                              The below is a joke (my suggestion) and no joke (the US military
                              school going to teach Chechen language)

                              Well, this is something for you. The best language school in the
                              world can teach you Chechen language now. It's in California, in
                              Monterey, probaly less than 300 miles north of your place - so every
                              weekend you can drive home. One can imagine what would happen if you
                              phoned to some Chechen in Russia or better yet in Chechnya and talked
                              to them - as happened to Goltz (btw, he had a conversation in
                              Russian). Chechen "terrorists" heading for Southern California -
                              headlines on the ABC or CNN next day??.
                              Coming back to this language course - I wonder who they are going to
                              hire? Some Chechens trained and sent by the FSB, or some Chechens
                              selected from among thousands of refugees? Knowing all the hoopla
                              that's going on with political asylum for Chechen FM Ilyas Akhmadov
                              and the attitude of US bureacrats and so called pundits there - the
                              former has a better chance. M.L.

                              http://search.csmonitor.com/search_content/0102/p03s01-usmi.html

                              Uzbek or Dari? Military learns new tongues

                              Defense Language Institute alters its curriculum for soldiers in post-
                              9/11 world.

                              By Ann Scott Tyson | Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor
                              MONTEREY, CALIFORNIA

                              -snip-

                              "The US Army does not have a fraction of the linguists required,"
                              concludes the report by the Center for Army Lessons Learned at Fort
                              Leavenworth, Kansas.

                              To ease the crunch, the military's main language-training center, the
                              Defense Language Institute (DLI) here, is dramatically altering the
                              mix of foreign tongues it teaches. With a faculty of more than 1,000
                              and 3,800 full-time students attending classes each year, DLI teaches
                              80 percent of the government's foreign language classes.

                              Since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, DLI has added ten new languages
                              to the curriculum, which it anticipates will be vital to curbing
                              terrorism, such as the Afghan dialects of Dari and Pashto, as well as
                              Chechen, Uzbek, Armenian and Urdu.
                              -snip-

                              PS. I hope you had good time in Kabul, in Peter's Gandamak lodge.
                              And btw, I had a good laugh seeing John Simpson's report on BBC (I
                              think Jouvenal was his cameraman then) marching with a bunch of
                              people towards Kabul and claiming that there were "liberating" the
                              city, even before the Northern Alliance forces moved in.

                              Peter Jouvenal is 100% right when he says this:

                              "I covered the war in Grozny and there were five journalists. Russia
                              invades, hundreds of people killed, a city destroyed, an appalling
                              war, and there were just five journalists. When I went to Paris for
                              the World Cup - something completely irrelevant - there were 5,000
                              journalists there."