RFE/RL: RUSSIAN MINISTER FAILS TO PERSUADE CHECHEN REFUGEES IN GEORGIA TO RETURN

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 7, No. 187, Part I, 1 October 2003

      RUSSIAN MINISTER FAILS TO PERSUADE CHECHEN REFUGEES IN GEORGIA TO RETURN.

      Stanislav Ilyasov, who is Russia's Minister for Chechen Affairs,
      traveled on 30 September from Tbilisi to Georgia's Pankisi Gorge but
      failed to persuade any of the estimated 4,000 Chechen refugees currently
      living there to return to Chechnya, ITAR-TASS and Caucasus Press
      reported. According to the website of the independent television station
      Rustavi-2, the refugees reacted "aggressively" to Ilyasov's proposal and
      to assurances by Chechen district officials who accompanied him that
      they would be in no danger if they return to Chechnya and that they
      would be provided with accommodations there. The refugees also declined
      to accept some 20 tons of humanitarian aid that Ilyasov brought with him. LF