Pravda ru: "Chechen terrorists [women] came for Yaroslavl"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      Chechen Terrorists Came from Yaroslavl
      07/29/2003 21:03
      In Moscow, police officers detain suspicious persons

      Two female students from the Yaroslavl Drama Institute have recently
      found themselves in a rather unpleasant situation. Mariam Kulbuzheva
      and Anna Sokolova (first-year graduates of the institute)
      were "neutralized" on May 9th in Moscow as Chechen terrorists. The
      incident happened near the Vakhtangov Theatre. It seemed to police
      officers, the two girls from the city of Yaroslavl looked very much
      like Chechen suicide bombers - the Moscow police was on high alert
      during the long holidays in May. Real Chechen terrorists made their
      way to Moscow anyway and blew up their bombs during a rock show in
      Tushino.

      Anna and Mariam came to Moscow to have a rest for a long weekend.
      Their stay in the capital included a visit to the Vakhtangov Theatre.
      Until recently, Anna Sokolova did not look like a daughter of the
      mountains, but she dyed her hair and became a brunette. Her friend
      complied with the interests of the Moscow police, though: her
      passport was issued in Chechnya, she had her eyebrows in the form of
      a crescent, and she had an accent. Those peculiarities eventually
      resulted in a trouble.

      An unknown man wearing the civilian clothes called the two girls near
      the theatre. Anna and Mariam decided that the man was just trying to
      meet them. The girls did not turn around and continued walking. A
      police officer grabbed their hands in about a minute:

      - Stand still! Your IDs! When did you arrive in Moscow?
      - We came here today.
      - Why aren't you registered?
      - We can stay in Moscow for three days without any registration
      according to the law.
      - This is only when you have tickets.

      The girls did not have tickets with them, because the majority of
      students from Yaroslavl prefer not to buy train tickets to Moscow.
      The police officer took the girls' passports away and told them to
      follow him to the police station. I wanted to laugh out loud later
      on, but at that moment the situation was very unpleasant and stupid,"
      Anna Sokolova said.

      The police station was a five-minute walk away, but it took them
      about 20 minutes to get there. The police officer accused them of
      lies, dropped various hints, so the girls had an impression that the
      officer wanted some money. "When we came to the police building, they
      started looking at us as if we were some animals in a zoo. There were
      about 25 policemen around us, they were making jokes all the time,"
      Anna recollects.

      The formal reason of the detention was unveiled soon: it happened
      because of the information that Moscow police officers had received
      from Chechnya. The two students from Yaroslavl matched the
      description of two female terrorists that had left for Moscow from
      Chechnya: they were of the same height, the same appearance and even
      of the same age: all of them were born in 1983. "Police vehicles were
      coming and going, but the situation was becoming more of a farce.
      They kept us there for more than an hour, but they did not even
      search our bags. However, they paid a lot of attention to the X-ray
      photograph of my tooth that they found in my passport. Probably, they
      decided that it was a secret microfilm. A police officer even
      attempted to look me in the mouth to see if the photo matched the
      real tooth. All that was very unpleasant for Mariam, because she did
      not have a Russian name and her passport was issued in Chechnya. She
      even started crying, asking them to let her go, but police officers
      were not nice to her," Anna Sokolova said.

      As a result, the two students from Yaroslavl were released in about
      an hour. Nobody knows, what police officers wanted from the girls -
      they did not even put their passport details down. Probably, they
      wanted a little entertainment.

      Alexander Yefremov

      Read the original in Russian:
      http://society.pravda.ru/society/2003/8/27/84/12336_Jaroslavl.html