Times-UK, MT: Letters to the editors

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2003
      Linking Chechnya to Iraq was wrong
      Letters to the Editor
      From Professor Peter Reddaway
      July 28, 2003

      Sir, The Prime Minister's moral slipperiness over Iraq now has a
      Chechen component. On June 18 he referred categorically to "the fact"
      that Chechens had been fighting for Saddam (Hansard, June 18, col
      355). When challenged later by Crispin Blunt, MP, to prove this
      charge or withdraw it, he agreed that his source was no more than
      what Blunt had called "unsubstantiated reports" (Hansard, July 9, col

      Mr Blair then added: "I accept that it may be some time before we can
      be sure that those reports are correct." But he does not have the
      decency to withdraw his charge until such time as this might occur.
      Nor does he note that the freely elected President Maskhadov of
      Chechnya gave strong official support to the US-UK decision to invade

      Mr Blair cast further slurs on the brave and tenacious people of
      Chechnya. First he referred without qualification to "several reports
      about Chechen fighters being found in Afghanistan", although these
      reports have long remained unsubstantiated. No fighters have ever
      been identified. And Guantanamo Bay holds nine Britons, but zero

      Secondly, he referred to "appalling terrorist atrocities" committed
      by Chechens in Russia, but omitted to note that these would never
      have occurred if they had not been provoked, with medieval brutality,
      by the prior atrocities of the Russian military.

      Putin must chuckle every time he contemplates his achievement. Does
      Mr Blair really want to be remembered as a chum of this man and an
      enemy of the nation he is destroying?

      Yours faithfully,
      (Visiting professor),
      Government Department,
      London School of Economics and Political Science,
      Houghton Street, WC2A 2AE.
      July 27.

      Friday, Aug. 1, 2003. Page 9 The Moscow Times

      Infiltrating the Kremlin, Secret-Service Style

      Felgenhauer, and "Problems of Unstable Privatization Edifice," a
      comment by Marshall I. Goldman, both on July 31.

      I found it very funny that on July 31 you ran two articles saying, to
      use Pavel Felgenhauer's words, that the "two faces of Putin seem to
      contradict each other." President Vladimir Putin was indoctrinated
      under Soviet power, was KGB trained and moving up through the ranks,
      had and has KGB aspirations and intentions, is accustomed to KGB
      operational methods, displays a KGB mindset, a KGB vision of how the
      world should be run and Russia's prominent place in that "brave new
      world," and I think he is being KGB run. He is simply a very well-
      trained, polished and professional example of "Homo Sovieticus."

      Only a non-Russian child would believe the KGB was "split up" and
      just faded away. There was nothing in Soviet Russia organized and
      powerful enough to even start to touch the KGB. Only organized crime
      had a chance to challenge them, and I think they both solved that
      question with a profitable partnership. As long as the new money
      holds out, so will the Putins and other Soviet methods.

      David Mirams
      Wellington, New Zealand