Interfax: Khasbulatov says will run for president of Chechnya

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2003
      Khasbulatov says will run for president of Chechnya

      Interfax. Thursday, Jul. 31, 2003, 6:47 PM Moscow Time

      MOSCOW. July 31 (Interfax) - Ruslan Khasbulatov, former speaker of the
      Russian Supreme Council, says he intends to run for president of the
      Chechen Republic in the elections scheduled for October 5.
      "I have made a firm decision to run," Khasbulatov told Interfax on
      Thursday.
      Khasbulatov said he already has "a team of supporters to organize and
      conduct an election campaign."
      When asked whether he will become an independent candidate or will be
      nominated by a party, Khasbulatov said he will be nominated "by the
      people of Chechnya and he will be their candidate."
      Khasbulatov said he is sure he will win in the first round. "I have my
      own program for settling the situation in Chechnya, but I will voice it
      only after I take office," Khasbulatov said.
      The deadline for nominating presidential candidates is 6:00 p.m. on
      August 1. Independent candidates can file applications until August 20.
      The deadline for submitting signatures for independent candidates is
      also August 20.
      Six people have already stated their intention to run for president of
      Chechnya, the Chechen Election Commission said