RE: GT: Who Murdered Antonio Russo-to Kai

  • Andrea Strunk
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      If you want to know the owner of the Georgian Times ask Jaba Devdariani
      (jaba@...). He writes for Civil Georgia (www.civil.ge) and the Institute
      of War and peace Reporting. I once knew the name of the guy, but I forgot.
      Andrea

    • Gilberto Rossi
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
        --- kai_ivari <ivari@...> wrote:

        > Do Georgians seat in European Parliament?

        No, Georgia isn't a member of the EU. As far as I
        understand it they have representatives there.

        > > - M.T.: I saw Russo ten days before his
        > death. He said he
        > was flying to France to attend the conference about
        > the Chechen
        > issues.
        > >

        > Then he would naturally interested in Chechnya
        > rather than
        > in alleged "pedopphilia" of radicals.

        I listen daily to the radical radio here in Italy and
        could not find the slightest suspect of pedophilia in
        their political activities, words or in any
        declaration of their members.

        I think it is only a slander.

        > > One interesting moment to be taken in
        > consideration is that they
        > were discussing the issue of dismissal of the
        > Transnational Radical
        > Party from the Euro Parliament just about the time
        > when Russo was
        > murdered. The members of this party were accused of
        > pedophilia. The
        > important thing is that the party survived this
        > problem only because
        > its leading member Antonio Russo died when he was
        > carrying out his
        > duties. The issues they put forward due to Russo's
        > death minimized
        > importance of the problem of pedophilia.
        > >

        > So, the "sensation" announced in the top, emerges as
        >
        > "one interesting moment to be taken in consideration
        > ..."
        > Great, isn't it?
        >
        > Why not to take into account the compaign of
        > withdrawing
        > from the Transnational Radical Party its affiliation
        > with
        > the United Nations, which was initiated by Russians
        > in
        > retaliation for TRP's active criticism of Russian
        > war crimes
        > in Chechnya and for giving the flor in the UN to Dr.
        > Khanbiev,
        > ChRI Health Minister, to speak about Russian system
        > of
        > atrocities and tortures in Chechnya? Why not to
        > mention that
        > TRP had to go through the court process (and won it)
        > around
        > this time?

        Well said.

        It is worth noting that also in that occasion they
        have been accused by Russians authorities of being
        pedophiliacs, terrorists and drug dealers or whatever.
        But they did not show a scratch of evidence supporting
        these accusations.

        Just a necessary lexical specification about the
        Transnational Radical Party that might lead to gross
        misunderstandings. The direct translation of the word
        "radical" from Italian to English is unfortunate. In
        the Italian language the word "radicale", in this
        context, does NOT mean "fundamentalist" or
        "extermist". It was coined about 45 years ago (before
        any thought on transnationalism and therefore
        translations) as an Italian name representing the
        "root" (from the latin "radix" - Italian "radice" -
        the adjective "radicale"). To be a political radical
        for them means to be someone who wants to go to the
        root of the problems. Someone who wants to know and
        act on the real root of the causes. So it has nothing
        to do with any form of extremism, quite the contrary.

        Marco.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
          --- In chechnya-sl@y..., Gilberto Rossi <truthsearch2003@y...> wrote:
          > > -snip-
          > It is worth noting that also in that occasion they
          > have been accused by Russians authorities of being
          > pedophiliacs, terrorists and drug dealers or whatever.
          > But they did not show a scratch of evidence supporting
          > these accusations.
          >
          > Just a necessary lexical specification about the
          > Transnational Radical Party that might lead to gross
          > misunderstandings. The direct translation of the word
          > "radical" from Italian to English is unfortunate. In
          > the Italian language the word "radicale", in this
          > context, does NOT mean "fundamentalist" or
          > "extermist". It was coined about 45 years ago (before
          > any thought on transnationalism and therefore
          > translations) as an Italian name representing the
          > "root" (from the latin "radix" - Italian "radice" -
          > the adjective "radicale"). To be a political radical
          > for them means to be someone who wants to go to the
          > root of the problems. Someone who wants to know and
          > act on the real root of the causes. So it has nothing
          > to do with any form of extremism, quite the contrary.
          >
          > Marco.

          Dear Marco,

          Thanks for your explanation about the meaning of word "radicale".
          You're absolutely right that translation of it it's kind of
          unfortunate because in most languages "a radical" is a similiar term
          to "an extremist". In regards of the real meaning of this word, in
          Western Canada we say this it's "a grass roots" party. When Canadian
          Progressive-Conservative party was decimated by the Liberals, people
          in the Western Canada have created a new party - the Alliance, more
          conservative, saying that they went to PC's "grass roots".

          This GT's story about Antonio, "with pedophillia in it's title" is
          very ugly indeed. I've pointed that already im my post when this
          article showed up first on the GT's internet site. Antonio was a very
          decent man, it's so sad that he was murdered and his killers were
          never found. If I find a couple free hours, I might translate an
          article by a Polish journalist who had spent with him some weeks
          together.

          Marius
        • Gilberto Rossi
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
            Marius wrote:

            << This GT's story about Antonio, "with pedophillia in it's title" is
            very ugly indeed. I've pointed that already im my post when this
            article showed up first on the GT's internet site.

            There is a reason for this pedophilia matter, I think. Its somewhat long to describe. Might do it in another post. And in any case it has nothing to do with Antonio. But it follows the same logic as with the accustaion of terrorism. "You defend the Chechen cause then you are per definition a terrorist". BTW they sustain the legalization of drugs (as Nobel laureate Friedman and some politicians do in GB, Holland, Spain). I suspect that here from comes the accusation to be drug dealers, etc. ,etc. This was more or less the logic behind the Un issue.

            <<Antonio was a very decent man, it's so sad that he was murdered and his killers were never found.

            Absloutely. I still have in mind his live reports from Pristina in Kossova under the NATO attack at radio radicale. He was one of the few journalists who reported from inside Kossova. There he put at risk his life too becuse the Serbs might have discovered him.

            However, here some links to his pages and reports (not all is in English anyhow...)

            http://www.radicalparty.org/antoniorusso.htm

            http://www.radioradicale.it/cecenia_war/e-welcome.html

            and the TRP:

            http://www.radicalparty.org/

            PS: Indeed my name is Marco. Will go over next to my e-mail box.