Uniformed Men Kill 5 Chechen Villagers

  • radiebunn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2002
      GROZNY. July 5 (Interfax) - About 10 unknown men in uniform entered
      the village of Sary-Su, in Chechnya's Shelkovskaya district, in the
      early hours of Friday and shot dead five villagers, in particular Zoya
      Shurayeva, a sixty-year-old woman, and five men aged 40 to 60, deputy
      district administration head Visadi Makharazhev told Interfax.

      An investigation is underway. [RU EUROPE ASIA EMRG CRIM VIO] ap rm <>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2002
        --- In chechnya-sl@y..., "radiebunn" <RadieBunn@s...> wrote:

        > GROZNY. July 5 (Interfax) - About 10 unknown men in uniform entered
        > the village of Sary-Su, in Chechnya's Shelkovskaya district, in the
        > early hours of Friday and shot dead five villagers, in particular
        Zoya
        > Shurayeva, a sixty-year-old woman, and five men aged 40 to 60,
        deputy
        > district administration head Visadi Makharazhev told Interfax.
        >
        > An investigation is underway. [RU EUROPE ASIA EMRG CRIM VIO] ap
        rm <>
        http://www.infocentre.ru/win/user/index.cfm?page=0&date=2002-07-
        06&startrow=1&msg_id=46536 (my translation)

        The murder of five inhabitants of Sary-Su village in the Shelkovskaya
        region of Chechnya was committed by a bandit group, which penetrated
        from the side of the city of Neftekumsk [located] in the Stavropol
        region. About this on Friday evening stated to Interfax the Secretary
        of the Security Council of Chechen republic Rudnik Dudayev. Rudnik
        Dudayev noted that this is confirmed from the previously obtained
        information about the fact that beyond the borders of Chechnya there
        are points of the preparation of boyeviks for the accomplishment of
        terrorist actions in the republic. He said that last night, between
        15 to 20 people in the camouflaged uniforms and armed with small arms
        committed in this village act of violence on the peaceful
        inhabitants.

        As previously reported to Interfax, from their hands one woman and
        four men, - three Chechens and two Nogais got murdered. R. Dudayev
        asserts that this criminal group has an "international nature".
        According to his data, there are Nogais, two Russians and Chechens in
        it. He emphasized that according to the data of operational-
        investigation brigade, this gang penetrated into Chechnya from the
        side of Neftekumsk.

        R.Dudayev noted that the efforts of Chechen authorities and law
        organs will not give a desired result, if the adjacent regions do not
        take some comprehensive measures to liquidate bandit groups on their
        territories. At present, on the crime spot the operational-
        investigation brigade continues to work, which attempts to track down
        those bandits and detain them. R. Dudayev also stated that for him
        personally, it's incomprehensible, that it was possible for this
        group, after completing such a cruel crime, to leave the village of
        Sary-Su unnoticeably, because there's only naked steppe around, where
        practically no man can hide.