(FYI) RFE/RL: NEW OWNER TO REPLACE ALL 'OBSHCHAYA GAZETA' JOURNALISTS

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2002
      RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 6, No. 101, Part I, 31 May 2002

      NEW OWNER TO REPLACE ALL 'OBSHCHAYA GAZETA' JOURNALISTS.

      "Obshchaya gazeta" Deputy Editor Vitalii Yaroshevskii told journalists
      in Moscow on 30 May that publication of the weekly newspaper will be
      suspended until the fall and that, in the interval, the entire editorial
      staff will be replaced. Yaroshevskii also revealed that the paper's
      founder, Yegor Yakovlev, had sold it to St. Petersburg publisher
      Vyacheslav Leibman. Leibman told "Ekho Moskvy" on 30 May that he intends
      to make the paper more "fashionable" and to strengthen its editorial
      staff by bringing on journalists from "Kommersant-Daily" and "Versiya."
      Since its creation in August 1991, "Obshchaya gazeta" has been one of
      the country's most respected liberal publications, featuring critical
      examinations of the Kremlin's Chechnya and human rights policies. Until
      now, the paper was one of the few national media outlets not controlled
      either by the state or by one of the oligarchs. VY