Re: CP: The Chechens don't fight because of holidays but because of convictions

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2002
      --- In chechnya-sl@y..., Norbert Strade <nost@p...> wrote:
      > The Chechens don't fight because of holidays but because of convictions
      > -snip-

      Aslan Maskhadov has allegedly given orders to the fighters recently to
      return to Chechnya from the borders and from the subjects of Russia.

      > I'll try to explain how this information corresponds to reality.
      > According to representative of the General Staff of the ChRI Armed
      > Forces Arsanukayev, "Maskhadov didn't issue such orders". He
      explained that neither in the first nor in the second war has anybody
      been drafted to the Chechen troops by force, and that only volunteers
      participate in the national liberation struggle.
      -snip-
      > A. Melhiyev, GIA CHECHENPRESS, 01 May 2002.
      >
      > http://www.chechenpress.com/news/05_2002/5_01_05.shtml
      > [My translation]

      The below is the Russian explanation and comments about this "order" M.L.

      2002-04-30 17:17

      CHECHEN SEPARATISTS FACING PROBLEMS WITH NEW RECRUITS

      MOSCOW, April 30th, 2002. /from RIA Novosti correspondent Valery
      Yarmolenko./ -- Chechen militants are apparently facing problems with
      new recruits. That was how the Russian Presidential Information
      Department commented an order issued by the president of the so-called
      independent republic of Ichkeria Aslam Maskhadov. According to it, all
      rebels are obliged to return to Chechnya from abroad.

      This probably refers to militants hiding in the Pankisi gorge in
      Georgia and other countries of the region bordering on Russia.
      Officials of the department stressed that Maskhadov had issued a
      similar address to Chechen diasporas abroad.

      According to the Russian Presidential Information Department, "Order
      #80 issued by Vladimir Moltenskoi, the Commander of the Federal Joint
      Group of Forces in the North Caucasus, which regulates special
      operations in Chechnya, has seriously aggravated the positions of
      rebels who are now facing much difficulty in enforcing their units
      with local recruits."