Re: Russians using toy bombs?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 1999
      ACARLG@... wrote:

      > The bomb is the PFM-1, a Soviet bomblet, squishy green plastic explosive
      > pouch with a wing-detonator, looks like a butterfly or bird. I vaguely
      > recollect that the problem during Afghanistan came when someone misunderstood
      > the "plastic" term somehow as "toy"....they're also known as "toe poppers",
      > for what they do to a human body.

      Adam,

      In the short clip on ARD news the victim says (or is translated to say, since
      they have the habit to voice over the original) that they "looked like toys". It
      might be the device you described.

      Norbert
    • witold1
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 1999
        Adam,
        Could you please elaborate why such a shape was chosen and who is this
        bomblet designed against: a military, a child, an uneducated peasant, an
        accidental walk on/trip on passer by? Why just not a regular mine? Is
        it cheaper, easier to make? Just trying to understand the strategy of
        hate.
        Thanks much.
        -Witold