Re: "Khattab's radio name captured"

  • marius@sprint.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
      --- In chechnya-sl@y..., marius@s... wrote:

      2001-11-30 17:43
      RUSSIAN PRESIDENT SAYS ARAB MERCENARY WAS DETAINED IN CHECHNYA

      (update)

      MOSCOW, November 30. /RIA Novosti correspondent/. Russian President
      Vladimir Putin has said that early on Friday Russia's special forces
      in Chechnya seized Abu Sayakh, "a well-known deputy" of the head of
      Arab mercenaries, Khattab.

      Sayakh, according to the Russian president, "provided money,
      organised terrorist acts on Russia's territory and was in contact
      with his units on Georgia's territory".

      Putin stressed that "this is objective information provided by
      Russian secret services".

      The president noted that according to the Russian side "some of the
      international terrorists are to be found on the territory of
      Georgia". "This implies in effect an occupation of part of Georgian
      territory," the Russian head of state stressed.

      Putin further said that the Russian side deplored this, and expressed
      an opinion that the Georgian leadership and the Georgian people might
      deplore that, too.

      18:09 Nov.30, 2001

      > 4 Rebels Killed, 8 Arrested in Chechnya
      >
      > The Press service of the Russian Federal Security Service has reported
      > that four Chechen separatists were killed and eight more were arrested
      > in the village of Bachi-Yurt, Kurchaloi Region, Chechnya on Friday
      > morning. A certain Abu-Sayakh*, Algerian national, was among those
      > captured, the press service said. //RIA-Novosti//

      > *According to a general of Russian Border Guard Services this name
      > (#20063 posting) that was Khattab's call when he was talking over his
      > radio. It looks, something hasn't "clicked" in Russian special
      > services this time. M.L.
    • Mikhail Ramendik
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        Hello,

        Saturday, December 01, 2001, 7:18:55 AM, marius@... posted:

        msc> The president noted that according to the Russian side "some of
        msc> the international terrorists are to be found on the territory of
        msc> Georgia". "This implies in effect an occupation of part of
        msc> Georgian territory," the Russian head of state stressed.

        Oops. Have I missed something here, or is this effective recognition
        of Chechen separatists as a belligerent side? Mere terrorist groups
        do't occupy territories, I suspect. But maybe I am mistaken.

        (Recognition as a belligerent does not seem to be the same as
        rexcognition of independence; for example, I think that Great Britain
        did recognize the Confederacy as a belligerent. But, my knowledge
        might be incomplete or way outdated).

        Yours, Mikhail Ramendik