Re: AP: Russian Commandos Storm Hijacked Bus [+ a comment]

  • marius@sprint.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2001
      --- In chechnya-sl@y..., Norbert Strade <nost@p...> wrote:
      > Tuesday July 31
      >
      > Russian Commandos Storm Hijacked Bus
      >
      > By YURI BAGROV, Associated Press Writer
      >
      > MINERALNYE VODY, Russia (AP) - Heavily armed Russian commandos
      rushed a hijacked bus in a lightning raid Tuesday, killing a Chechen
      gunman who had seized it to demand freedom for five Chechens jailed
      for another hijacking.
      > -SNIP-

      The hijacking was aimed at winning the release of five Chechens who
      were jailed in a similar hijacking in 1994. In the afternoon,
      officials said two of the five had been brought to the Mineralnye
      Vody airport.

      > -SNIP-
      >

      > In May 1994, four kidnappers with guns and a grenade grabbed a bus
      with 29 people, including children, teachers and parents in southern
      Russia. They released the hostages in exchange for a multimillion
      dollar ransom and fled to Chechnya in a helicopter. Authorities
      caught three of them and killed the fourth in a shootout. After a
      trial, the hijackers and their accomplices were jailed.*#

      The five prisoners whose release was demanded were jailed for that
      attack, but the ITAR-Tass news agency said one of the prisoners had
      died of tuberculosis.

      # RFE/RL No 149, Part I, 2 August 1996

      COURT SENTENCES BUS HIJACKERS; . The Stavropol Krai court on 1 August
      convicted three Chechens in connection with the hijacking of a bus
      near Mineralnye Vody in May 1994, ITAR-TASS reported. Four men
      stormed the bus, demanding $10 million, drugs, arms, and a helicopter
      in exchange for freeing the hostages on board. The hijackers' demands
      were met, but three of the men were arrested when the helicopter
      landed in Chechnya; they were each sentenced to 15 years imprisonment
      last year. The fourth, captured later, has now also received a
      15-year term. The other two men convicted yesterday were sentenced
      to 12 years for supplying weapons to the gang.
      It's true that those hijackers were arrested by the Chechen
      authorities in 1994 when the helicopter landed there. That was
      probably one of the a few cases when the Chechens were cooperating
      with the Russians to capture some criminals.

      But, most people listening to the news about "the bus hijacking in
      Mineralnye Vody in July 2001" as usually got just a part of the
      story. M.L.

    • bir46@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13, 2001
        Hi Norbert&list,

        This piece of news was the only one conserning Checnya during all
        these four weeks I did'nt participate here on my local national TV !!

        All those scores of "educated and critical" professional journalists
        everywhere were led so easy up the guarden path while the
        protesters were broken down.

        Usually in summers the media is lacking worthfull news, so why they
        did not publish more reasonably anything of the overwhelming news on
        Chechnya?

        No news for the masses about Chechnya or recent developments in
        Russian domestic policy in here??!!

        I just wonder why.

        Sincerely BIR