RFE/RL: PRO-INDEPENDENCE CHECHENS INCREASE RECRUITMENT

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001
      RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 5, No. 64, Part I, 2 April 2001

      PRO-INDEPENDENCE CHECHENS INCREASE RECRUITMENT.

      A spokesman for Federal Forces in the North Caucasus told ITAR-TASS on 31
      March that Chechen guerilla groups had increased their recruitment of
      civilians and were moving into Grozny and the northern plains of the republic.
      Meanwhile, Akhmed Kadyrov, chief of the pro-Moscow interim Chechen
      administration, said on 30 March that no election or referendum will be
      possible in Chechnya during the next two years because the majority of
      Chechens cannot come to the republic to take part in such ballots, ITAR-TASS
      said. PG

      Copyright (c) 2001 RFE/RL, Inc. All rights reserved.