Re: Polish authorities started "Chechen actions"...

  • Aleksandra Wagner
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
      I also know about the actions. I read about it in "Gazeta Wyborcza
      30.01.01) and talked to a Chechen who lives in this refugee camp.
      As far as I read in "Gazeta" the goal of the action was to capture an
      arms-trader and smuggler - Mamuk Sullakwelidze. The police say he is
      Chechen, but his name looks Georgian.

      The Chechen Information Centre in Krakow is going to write a protest
      against these actions. When I translate the letter I will publish it on
      the list.

      On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 mpietrzyk@... wrote:

      > --- In tchetchenie@y..., "Radoslaw Sikora" <radsikora@p...> wrote:
      >
      > On 30 January at about 4-5 a.m. Polish authorities started "Chechen
      > actions":

      This itself is against the Polish law, because searches are alowed only
      between 6.00 a.m. and 10.00 p.m.

      > Next great problem for refugees is to cross Polish border - there
      > exists
      > a kind of secret
      > agreement of Polish and Russian authorities not to let them into
      > Poland.

      Officially Polish authorities explain that Chechen people who wanted to
      enter Poland did not apply for the refugee status. In some cases it may
      be true, but even though - in such a case Polish authorities should
      instruct the refugees how to apply for the refugee status and they never
      do so.
      Sometimes the refugees are let in Poland only after journalists come and
      there is about to be a scandal.

      I do not know if a secret agreement between Polish and Russian authorities
      exists or if it is rather the way of looking for matherial profits
      (bribes).

      > It is supposed that this action is preparation for deportation of
      > Chechens
      > from Poland or
      > for Putin`s visit to Poland (which could be the same in suitable
      > political
      > situation ).
      > Either way it is in perfect accordance with Russian propaganda trying
      > show
      > that all Chechens are "terrorists and bandits".

      Yes, there is such a possibility that it is the way to silence Chechen
      refugees. You remember I wrote you about a demonstration in Warsaw, where
      Chechen refugees participated. I wrote no newspaper had written about
      this. Now I make a correction: The weely: Tygodnik "Solidarnosc" did. It
      was issue no. 5. (646) 2001 (http:/www.solidarnosc.pol.pl). The Editor
      wrote an editorial entitled "Deja vu i.e. the Loliness of Victims", where
      he mentioned this demonstration and comlained about virtual silence on
      Chechnya in media. He expresses his outrage concerning returning Russia
      full right to vote. He also protested against the slowliness in granting
      Chechen imigrants the status of political refugees. The vice-speaker or
      Chechen Parliament could not leave Poland and participate in Strasbourg
      session, because not having a status he cannot leave Poland. He appealed
      to the Polish Minister of Internal Affairs and Administration saying:
      "Strange laziness concerning granting Vice-Speaker Beshaev refugee
      documents stands in obvious contrast with our Polish experience when
      during the marshal law [1981-effectively 1989 - comment AW] Poles
      emigrating to the West received such papers virtually on hand, that I
      remind and dedicate to Minister Marek Biernacki".

      Below in this issue a note on demonstration comes with a photo.
      ------------
      Concerning this issue, I have a question to list members concerning the
      situation of Chechen refugees in their countries. Some list members are
      refugees themselves. I think it would be interesting to hear about:
      1. Approximate number of refugees
      2. The way the authorities treat them (living conditions in camps,
      prompteness to grant a status of a political refugee, etc.) - the way they
      treat them generally and compared to refugees from other countries.
      3. The way the society treat them (again generally of comopared to other
      refugees)

      I am also interested if there is any possibility to put pressure on the
      authorities to grant the status of political refugees quicker. I think it
      should be the issue for PACE or European Parliament. If "civilized
      countries" cannot do anything to stop Russian genocide at least they
      should grant a status of political refugees to those Chechens who escaped
      Russian efforts to liquidate them.

      Regards,
      Aleksandra
    • marius@sprint.ca
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2001
        --- In chechnya-sl@y..., Aleksandra Wagner <awagner@U...> wrote:

        I also know about the actions. I read about it in "Gazeta Wyborcza
        30.01.01) and talked to a Chechen who lives in this refugee camp.
        As far as I read in "Gazeta" the goal of the action was to capture
        an arms-trader and smuggler - Mamuk Sullakwelidze. The police say he
        is Chechen, but his name looks Georgian.

        The Chechen Information Centre in Krakow is going to write a protest
        against these actions. When I translate the letter I will publish it
        on the list.

        -snip-

        Hello!

        I have to believe those actions weren't aimed specifically agaist
        the Chechens refugees in Poland. It's true that the a refugee camp
        was raided and the rooms where Chechens have been living were
        searched. It's also true, that a place of a Pole were Ramzan
        Ampukayev lives was searched too.
        After those incidents, a Polish daily newspaper "Zycie Warszawy"
        ("Warsaw's Life" in English) published on Feb. 02 an article
        "The Armenian from the Stadium" - I'll try to be very brief -
        by the biggest Warsaw's Stadium there is a bazaar, were most of the
        owners of hundreds of kiosks, stalls etc. are Armenians and people
        from the East. This guy, also known as "The King of the Stadium"
        identified only by first letter of his last name as S. with his gang
        (one of the biggest foreign gangs in Poland) takes the rackets from
        the merchants there. One also can can buy there pirated CD's,
        computer programs and narcotics and there had been some wars between
        his gang and an Ukrainian one in the past for taking control of that
        place. Last year, several gangsters and merchants have been already
        killed or beaten up.
        According to a spokesman from the Central Bureau of Investigation
        (Polish FBI) they have made several arrests all over Poland - and he
        never mentioned that any Chechens were arrested. The spokesman also
        said that is very difficult to penetrate this Armenian mafia.

        I also found out - there is around 400 Chechen refugees in Poland
        and according to some estimates up to 100,000 Armenians, most of
        them without proper documents.
        So,looks to me that police teams probably took a "wide approach" and
        raided all known places, where people from the Caucasus have been
        living or staying. That's very unfortunate and the Chechen refugees
        have right to protest.

        Marius
      • Aleksandra Wagner
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001
          On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 marius@... wrote:

          > Hello!
          >
          > I have to believe those actions weren't aimed specifically agaist
          > the Chechens refugees in Poland. It's true that the a refugee camp

          Unfortunately from the phone conversation with a chechen refugee living in
          Debak I know that the police was specifically looking for Chechens, simply
          asking "are there any Chechens?" "Who is Chechen" etc. The director of the
          camp was showing to the police room where Chechens live and in the rooms
          only people of Chechen nationality were questioned and search. I do not
          know if any Armenians live in the camp, but I know that for example
          Georgians were not questioned. So this specific action was aimed at
          Chechens only. When search was made in private acomodations the victims
          were also Poles staying there.
          Of course in Poland there are many actions against persons of different
          nationalities including Poles too. The goverment streghtened their
          activities in fighting crime, especially organised crime. But this
          specific action was aimed at Chechens only. Of course it is the matter of
          speculations whether it was because a man the police was looking for was
          allegedly Chechen so police thought he would stay with other Chechens or
          whether the action has a political context. The Chechen Information
          Centre is writing a letter to the minister and this question is included.
          So I hope to receive an answer.
          Regards,
          Aleksandra