Russia admits: 5,000 Rebels Left

  • Rafal Trzaskowski
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      Russia to Step up Air Ops in Chechnya, Admits 5,000 Rebels Left

      MOSCOW, Feb 1, 2001 -- (Agence France Presse) Russia announced Thursday it
      would intensify its air operations in Chechnya as security officials
      admitted there were still 5,000 rebels fighting in the breakaway republic,
      well above earlier official estimates.

      Additional warplanes will be deployed in the region and based at Mozdok in
      neighboring North Ossetia, ITAR-TASS quoted airforce commander General
      Anatoly Kornukov as saying.

      "We shall have to increase the number of aircraft in Chechnya to fulfil
      combat tasks," he said, adding that airforce commanders had met military
      leaders in the region to coordinate activities against the Chechen rebels.

      The head of the Russian security services FSB, formerly the KGB, Nikolai
      Patrushev, said that around 5,000 rebels were still fighting, including
      1,500 who in his view were unlikely ever to surrender, the Interfax news
      agency reported.

      The task of the FSB, which last month replaced the army as Moscow's
      operational arm in Chechnya, would be "to put a stop the rebels' operations
      and to the activities of their leaders and to bring order to the republic,"
      the agency reported him as saying.

      Military sources had previously put the number of active rebels at around
      1,000.

      "The defense ministry has achieved the main objectives" in eliminating the
      main rebel groups, the security chief said.

      The FSB has located the whereabouts of rebel leaders Shamil Basayev and his
      lieutenant Khattab, he added.

    • Kristjan Sander
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
        > MOSCOW, Feb 1, 2001 -- (Agence France Presse) Russia announced Thursday it
        > would intensify its air operations in Chechnya as security officials
        > admitted there were still 5,000 rebels fighting in the breakaway republic,
        > well above earlier official estimates.

        Well, there might be something behind the Russian estimations of rebel
        forces. I mean that the amount of fighters actually changes, doesn't it?
        There were certainly much less fighters in Spring, after the retreat from
        Grozny and before the massive guerilla campaign.

        Emmil, what do you think, how much has the number of actual fighters (not
        supporters, but the men who are actually fighting, being trained to fight or
        expecting an order to fight) changed in time?

        I am glad to read that the amount of fighters has risen so much that
        Russians claim that there are 5000 of them. Admitting that, Russians also
        admit a kind of defeat -- despite of all their efforts, the force they are
        fighting with has gained additional strength.

        > Military sources had previously put the number of active rebels at around
        > 1,000.
        >
        > "The defense ministry has achieved the main objectives" in eliminating the
        > main rebel groups, the security chief said.

        That's great -- the main groups of "rebels" are eliminated and the number of
        rebel fighters has risen FIVE TIMES. Cool.

        Kristjan
      • Petr Janouch
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
          > I am glad to read that the amount of fighters has risen so much that
          > Russians claim that there are 5000 of them. Admitting that, Russians
          > also admit a kind of defeat -- despite of all their efforts, the
          > force they are fighting with has gained additional strength.

          Dear Kristjan, dear list,

          I fear that there is no reason to be glad here. Yes, finally the
          Russians admitted that they had been lying which "we knew all the
          time." But had they been actually lying? We suppose so, but we do not
          know. Where does Patrushev have the information from? He would not be
          so reckless as to say there are more fighters and at the same time talk
          about "achieved main objectives", would he?

          What we know is that the "sudden" increase of fighters serves as a
          justification for stepping up the military operations in Chechnya only
          ten days after the official announcements about the reduction of the
          troops was made.

          "Admitting" there are more fighters than previously announced only
          serves as a pretext. "Increasing the number of aircraft in Chechnya to
          fulfill combat tasks" might return the war to its initial stage in a
          way. Patrushev surely knows what he is talking about. More air raids
          and more civilian casualties.

          Sincerely,

          Petr

          By the way, in the brilliant movie Dark Side of the World made by my
          compatriots, a Chechen man compares the Russian air raids to birds
          shitting poisonous shit. Without any intention to be rude, Patrushev's
          statement can be commented as: Oh, more shit.

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • chechenistan@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
            hi,

            Interesting pullout: soldiers get out, instead come more intensive
            bombardments. Obviously losses were so high that now it's time crash
            the rest of what is alive on the territory: villages, forests,
            mountains, peaceful and not.
            Interesting method of establishing order.
            And also, location of Khattab is known, why not start acting?
            Yasterzhembsky apparatus (lying machine) is losing last molecules of
            credibility.

            Reshat.

            > Additional warplanes will be deployed in the region and based at
            Mozdok in
            > neighboring North Ossetia, ITAR-TASS quoted airforce commander
            General
            > Anatoly Kornukov as saying.
            >
            > "We shall have to increase the number of aircraft in Chechnya to
            fulfil
            > combat tasks," he said, adding that airforce commanders had met
            military
            > leaders in the region to coordinate activities against the Chechen
            rebels.

            [...]

          • janos@lobb.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
              --- In chechnya-sl@y..., chechenistan@y... wrote:
              > hi,
              >
              > Interesting pullout: soldiers get out, instead come more intensive
              > bombardments. Obviously losses were so high that now it's time crash
              > the rest of what is alive on the territory: villages, forests,
              > mountains, peaceful and not.
              > Interesting method of establishing order.
              > And also, location of Khattab is known, why not start acting?

              They are acting. That is how they achieve high losses. That is what effec=
              tively reducing the russian forces in Chechnia. By the way, if KGB is in th=
              e main role now, does not this mean that Russia recognizes Chechnia as an in=
              dependent country again de facto by using its secret service against her ins=
              tead of the internal police force ?
              János

              > Yasterzhembsky apparatus (lying machine) is losing last molecules of
              > credibility.
              >
              > Reshat.
              >
              > > Additional warplanes will be deployed in the region and based at
              > Mozdok in
              > > neighboring North Ossetia, ITAR-TASS quoted airforce commander
              > General
              > > Anatoly Kornukov as saying.
              > >
              > > "We shall have to increase the number of aircraft in Chechnya to
              > fulfil
              > > combat tasks," he said, adding that airforce commanders had met
              > military
              > > leaders in the region to coordinate activities against the Chechen
              > rebels.
              > >
              > [...]
              > > The task of the FSB, which last month replaced the army as Moscow's
              > > operational arm in Chechnya, would be "to put a stop the rebels'
              > operations
              > > and to the activities of their leaders and to bring order to the
              > republic,"
              > > the agency reported him as saying.
              >
              > > "The defense ministry has achieved the main objectives" in
              > eliminating the
              > > main rebel groups, the security chief said.
              > >
              > > The FSB has located the whereabouts of rebel leaders Shamil Basayev
              > and his
              > > lieutenant Khattab, he added.
            • Dilan Rajasingham
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
                Hi just a question: if they have found khattab and co (which I doubt) why
                would they tell the press when they would strike ?; or perhaps the mission
                to get them is under way and they haven't told anyone.

                In fact as to not alert the people they are trying to capture one would
                assume that they have already begun/ almost completed the operation.

                Then again, perhaps they know what region he is in (which must be quite a
                big step from what they previously knew), and they are trying to find his
                locataion more precisely ?.

                Perhaps "the lying master" is not lying this time ?....I know its hard to
                believe given his reputation.

                Only time will tell.

                As for bringing in more aircraft I don't think that this in itself justifies
                that a slaughter is going to happen, especially due to troop losses which I
                once again say would probably be around 15,000-20,000 dead or wounded.

                Although it is probably a viable reason.

                [Quoted message removed by the moderator]
              • Mikhail Ramendik
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2001
                  Hello janos,

                  jlc> tively reducing the russian forces in Chechnia. By the way, if
                  jlc> KGB is in th= e main role now, does not this mean that Russia
                  jlc> recognizes Chechnia as an in= dependent country again de facto by
                  jlc> using its secret service against her ins= tead of the internal
                  jlc> police force ?

                  No, not really. The FSB's duties include internal security as well as
                  external.

                  -- Best regards, Mikhail
                  mailto:mikhram@...