Re: Guardian: Vote gives Putin chance of life-long criminal immunity (I.Traynor)

  • Marius Labentowicz
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
      --- In chechnya-sl@egroups.com, Norbert Strade <nost@p...> wrote:
      > Vote gives Putin chance of life-long criminal immunity
      >
      > Special report: Russia
      >
      > Ian Traynor in Moscow Thursday November 30, 2000

      President Vladimir Putin acted to put himself and future Russian
      presidents above the law yesterday, gaining parliamentary backing
      for a bill securing lifelong personal immunity from prosecution for
      anything he does while in office.

      >-snip-

      from Polish press, "Gazeta Wyborcza" Nov.27 issue

      Russian Citizen Rights Ombudsman - Oleg Mironov, will not be taking
      any complaints on the president. How can be he criticised, if he
      according to the constitution himself is a warrant of citizen rights
      and freedoms - Mironov is reasoning. In his opinion Putin understands
      that the observance of the human rights is the univesal value and he
      shouldn't be bothered in this matter.
    • Kai Ivari
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
        --- In chechnya-sl@egroups.com, "Marius Labentowicz" <marius@s...>
        wrote:
        > --- In chechnya-sl@egroups.com, Norbert Strade <nost@p...> wrote:
        > > Vote gives Putin chance of life-long criminal immunity
        > >
        > President Vladimir Putin acted to put himself and future Russian
        > presidents above the law yesterday, gaining parliamentary backing
        > for a bill securing lifelong personal immunity from prosecution for
        > anything he does while in office.

        > from Polish press, "Gazeta Wyborcza" Nov.27 issue
        >

        > Russian Citizen Rights Ombudsman - Oleg Mironov, will not be taking
        > any complaints on the president. How can be he criticised, if he
        > according to the constitution himself is a warrant of citizen rights
        > and freedoms - Mironov is reasoning. In his opinion Putin
        understands
        > that the observance of the human rights is the univesal value and he
        > shouldn't be bothered in this matter.

        This is fine: if Russian legal system legalises its refusal to
        consider complains against the president then they can go directly
        to the International Court, like the ones in Strasbourg and Hague,
        without the obligatory so far procedures in the home country
        which can last for years but which are still a prerequisite to
        any application to the international courts. Fine!

        Kai.
      • chechenistan@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
          hi,
          Does any republic on earth has immunity for life for anybody?
          as far as i understand russia's regime is moving to change into
          Czarship, but the Czar doesn't have to be somebody's child, but
          instead appointed by that somebody and then fakedly elected.

          Reshat.

          [Quote of long message removed by the moderator]
        • Mikhail Ramendik
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
            Hello!

            >From: <chechenistan@...>

            > Does any republic on earth has immunity for life for anybody?

            At least the Republic of Chile does. Its laws provide for the lifelong status of
            Senator for a former President, and a Senator has immunity. This is why Pinochet
            can not be put to trial.

            And here, at least, we have the expert opinion of the Lady Thatcher, who has been
            publicly defending General Pinochet.

            Yours, Mikhail Ramendik