GF: CHECHENS WHO ILLEGALY CROSSED THE GEORGIAN-CHECHEN BORDER WILL BE TRIED IN TBILISI

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      INDEPENDENT INFORMATION CENTRE
      GLASNOST - CAUCASUS
      DAILY NEWS SERVICE

      GEORGIA

      CHECHENS WHO ILLEGALY CROSSED THE GEORGIAN-CHECHEN BORDER WILL BE TRIED
      IN TBILISI

      On a press briefing in Tbilisi on October 31 the Georgian Prosecutor General
      said that Chechens who attempt to cross the Georgian border on the Ingouish
      district will be tried in Tbilisi. At the same time the Prosecutor mentioned
      that if Russia claims extradition of violators the extradition will be
      problematic. The Georgian Security Chief Bakhtang Kutateladze said that if
      those 25 Chechens are wanted in Russian Federation Georgia could extradite
      them. He also said that he is talking not about terrorists but about hungry and
      frozen civilians who gave up their weapons and surrendered to Georgian
      authorities. Kutateladze says no one of them seems to be injured during the
      fights.
    • chechenistan@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        hi,

        the argument "if wanted in russia" is not acceptable here. Every
        Chechen is wanted, including women and kids.
        If, Lord forbids, they agree to extradition, they should require some
        undeniable proof of criminality.

        Reshat

        --- In chechnya-sl@egroups.com, Norbert Strade <nost@p...> wrote:
        > INDEPENDENT INFORMATION CENTRE
        > GLASNOST - CAUCASUS
        > DAILY NEWS SERVICE
        >
        > GEORGIA
        >
        > CHECHENS WHO ILLEGALY CROSSED THE GEORGIAN-CHECHEN BORDER WILL BE
        TRIED
        > IN TBILISI
        >
        > On a press briefing in Tbilisi on October 31 the Georgian
        Prosecutor General
        > said that Chechens who attempt to cross the Georgian border on the
        Ingouish
        > district will be tried in Tbilisi. At the same time the Prosecutor
        mentioned
        > that if Russia claims extradition of violators the extradition will
        be
        > problematic. The Georgian Security Chief Bakhtang Kutateladze said
        that if
        > those 25 Chechens are wanted in Russian Federation Georgia could
        extradite
        > them. He also said that he is talking not about terrorists but
        about hungry and
        > frozen civilians who gave up their weapons and surrendered to
        Georgian
        > authorities. Kutateladze says no one of them seems to be injured
        during the
        > fights.
      • Mikhail Ramendik
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
          Hello!

          >From: <chechenistan@...>

          > the argument "if wanted in russia" is not acceptable here. Every
          > Chechen is wanted, including women and kids.
          > If, Lord forbids, they agree to extradition, they should require some
          > undeniable proof of criminality.

          I suspect the translation was not exact. "If wanted" does not mean "if Russia
          wants them", but "if they personally are on the list of wanted criminals in
          Russia". (In Russian, "v rozyske"). At least, I think I have heard this version
          of the Georgian position.

          Yours, Mikhail Ramendik