Re: Urgent Statement: Speaker of Chechen Parliament has been murdered

  • chechenistan@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2000
      Hi,
      I was killed by this news.
      A short remark on hypocracy:
      When Turkish gvt wanted to judge Ocalan to death claming he's
      responsible for 30,000 lives, EU threatened to block counrty's entry
      into EU. Ocalan was not elected by anybody, and even though he might
      have had some basis for his actions, formally he was nobody but a
      leader of a armed illegeal gang. EU tried to protect him.

      Here we have a Speaker of a Republic elected under OSCE supervision.
      Nobody cared what he was arrested for. And obviously nobody will care
      to investigate this brutal torture and murdure while he was in
      prison. This brother should have been treated as a diplomat. But I am
      sure EU will not launch any sanctions on russia, because of this.

      Best regards,
      Reshat.

      --- In chechnya-sl@egroups.com, "MFA" <mfa@c...> wrote:
      > CHECHEN REPUBLIC OF ICHERIA
      > MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
      >
      > URGENT STATEMENT# 10-693
      >

      > FOR IMMIDIATE RELEASE
      CONTACT: ROMAN KHALILOV
      > DATE: SEPTEMBER 02, 2000
      TELEPHONE: + 44 77 20 45 00 61

      > "Russians murdered the Speaker of the democratically elected
      Chechen Parliament Ruslan Alikhadjiev"

      > Minister of Foreign Affairs of the ChRI Ilyas Akhmadov issued today
      the following statement:

      > The Government of the ChRI has learned that the Speaker of the
      democratically elected Chechen Parliament Ruslan Alikhadjiev has died
      in "Lefortovo" prison in Moscow after being tortured by his Russian
      jailers.

      > Russians unlawfully detained Ruslan Alikhadjiev on 1 June of this
      year and had kept him in the "Lefortovo" prison in Moscow until his
      death.

      > His Russian captors tortured Alikhadjiev in an effort to make him
      to betray the Chechen people and to renounce legitimate government of
      the ChRI led by President Maskhadov.

      > The Russians wanted him to renounce President Maskhadov and declare
      that the Chechen Parliament supports Russia. The Russians have
      succeeded in making a few Chechen Parliamentarians turn against
      Maskhadov and the Chechen government. The Russian Federation needed
      the Speaker to lead the members who had been forced to turn against
      President Maskhadov.

      > Alikhadjiev refused to denounce the ChRI. He also refused to betray
      his government and fellow Chechens by working for the Russian
      Federation, a government that has murdered thousands of Alikhadjiev's
      countrymen.

      > Ruslan Alikhadjiev gave his life for liberty and justice for the
      Chechen people.

      > The government of the ChRI has appealed many times to the world
      community and requested its help to insure the safety of Ruslan
      Alikhadjiev as well as to secure his freedom.

      > We regret that our calls were not heard. We cannot understand why
      the Council of Europe, the OSCE, the Red Cross and leaders of
      democratic states failed to heed our pleas and secure safety and
      freedom for Ruslan Alikhadjiev.

      > Tragically, it is now too late.
      >
      > Despite what the Russian President's Human Rights Envoy Kalamanov's
      office and the Council of Europe's experts in that office say, the
      truth is that Russia continues to murder the Chechen people.

      > When the Russians unlawfully detained Ruslan Alikhadjiev, the world
      did not listen to our appeals. Now, Ruslan Alikhadjiev, the speaker
      of Chechen Parliament, has been tortured to death.

      > We demand justice.
      >
      > The UN, the Council of Europe, OSCE and the OIC, the US and other
      members of the world community must not allow the government of the
      Russian Federation to get away with the brutal murder of Ruslan
      Alikhadjiev.

      > They must end their silence and act to end the Russian Federation's
      campaign of genocide against the Chechen people.