Re: RBC: Two Teens Die In Blast In Chechnya

  • Mikhail Ramendik
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2000
      Hello!

      >From: Bella Shidiskas <shidiskas@...>

      > > And another characteristic of these mines is that they tend to maim,
      > not
      > > kill. They are less powerful than most regular mines, and are
      > intended to
      > > tear of feet of enemy infantrymen.
      > But mostly children are suffering form such mines! What life is
      > waiting for a child in Chechnya with legs wipped out? Even in rich
      > countries his life would be difficult, but in Chechnya, where are
      > even no medicines to kill pain! The crime is the same - to kill or
      > to wipp out legs!

      This information was intended to show that the particular mines mentioned in the
      report were indeed probably laid by the fighters. I am not saying that Russian
      mining operations in Chechnya contain no crimes. In fact, I do not have enough
      information to say anything on this matter.

      Yours, Mikhail Ramendik
    • Kai Ivari
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
        --- In chechnya-sl@egroups.com, "Mikhail Ramendik" <mikhram@d...>

        M.Ramendik wrote:

        > This information was intended to show that the particular mines
        mentioned in the
        > report were indeed probably laid by the fighters. I am not saying
        that Russian
        > mining operations in Chechnya contain no crimes. In fact, I do not
        have enough
        > information to say anything on this matter.

        wrong again!

        in the report the makeshifts mine put on the side of the road
        have been mentioned. Makeshifts mines (for Russians - "rastyazhka")
        are known to be favorite and didactic in soviet/russian airborne
        ("desant")
        forces. It is often used to guard the place of location of a
        reconessance unit.

        Now, with a little thinking, why the Chechens would
        need to put a makeshift mine on the side of the road - maybe, to
        explode an eventual unlucky soldier who once might deside
        to leave a column for his phisiological needs exactly
        in the place??? Very Chechen-bandit tactics, isn't it?
        On another hand, Russian cowardly military could well put a
        makeshift mine trying to prevent planting a mine on the road
        by the Chechen fighters, or to prevent an ambush in the place.

        I am sorry that my initial comment to the story about two teens
        exploded by a makeshift mine was not sufficiently specific (I
        needed to consult a military expert for that). I hope from the
        above explanation is it pretty obvious (at least, it is more
        likely - a reservation for the skeptics) that the mine which
        killed two Chechen teens was put by Russians.

        Try also to remember that Chechen reports never mention the
        use of anti-personnel mines, including the makeshifts mines
        as the means of destruction of Russian aggressors, quite opposite to
        the Russian who have been joyfully reporting about fighters
        killed on their cleverly installed mine fields (why not to mine
        the highways of Moscow to kill corrupted officials, and those
        who assist them, or those who will be corrupted official in
        future...).

        So, the lion portion of responsibility of civilians victims
        of the anti-personnel mines is on the Russian military.

        Deciding if this is ought to be considered a (war) crime is a
        competence of an international justice which is obscured
        by the major world powers (i.e the major killing machines),
        Russia and the United States the most, but the personal
        judgement concerning this matter is the best indicator of a
        personal credo and mentality.

        I just wonder, if a Chechen soldier, or just someone wishing to
        help the Chechen cause, would throw a couple of kg of
        mini-antipersonnel
        mines around your house (just those you seem to approve - which look
        like green leaves) to kill your neighbour colonel and a couple of
        FSB collaborators and OMON officers allegedly living there -
        this would be considered a normal military
        preventive action, a terrorism, or a criminal act, or maybe
        a hooliganism, a even a good HNY joke in the "new Russia" style?

        I still view an attempted apology of Russian crimes by other
        crimes as an indicator of a corrupted moral and, actually,
        just a hate intentionally implanted into mind of Russian
        people by Kremlin&KGB mastered brainewashing machine.
        If Russians are really concerned about NATO war crimes and maybe
        about "NATO genocide" of Serbs or Albanians then why they choose
        to spend time on this list trying to excuse a monstrous brutality
        and crimes by Russian army and authorities instead of adding
        their voice and the knowledge they (pretend to) possess to the
        protection of alleged "NATO victims" in Kosovo?

        Why excusing and concealing crimes committed on behalf of
        "mother-Russia" is more comfortable for "new Russians"
        (or "Russians of new Russia", or "homo-post-sovieticus",
        to be more precise) than condemning
        and preventing the crimes and brutality???

        Last remark: I had personal encounter with a girl from Serbia who
        was very critical to NATO actions. Still, all I heard from her
        was not far away from the picture I made myself based just on
        NATO news. None of her condemnation of NATO actions was anyhow
        close to the unbelievable monstrous things I head from the
        Chechens I met in person. I also never read any story told by
        Albanians which would describe such unbelievable inhuman actions
        by the Russian troops which are told by Chechens and human rights
        organizations.

        (BTW: A Russian book of the 60-s about the middle East conflict
        has been mentioning Israel using mini antipersonnel mines in the
        shape of pencils, toys etc. against the Palestinian population...
        This is where from I know about these mines - from same
        "authentic source", but that was a book, not a daily outlet).

        Kai.