OT - Long term food storage solution

  • freeidaho2
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
      Long Term Food Storage Packaging

      Been lurking here for a long time and appreciate all the excellent
      information shared by the members. Seems I've been prepping and "collecting" (a more dignified name for us pack rats) most of my life. I would like to share a link to a site for long term food storage packaging. As cans and buckets waste about 25 % of the storage/shelf space because they are round, and for many space is at a premium, I think you will like the "Flexible Aluminum Can" from http://usacanbag.com/ They come in one quart to 4 gallon sizes. Got the sample pack, 2 ea of 8 different sizes. They came with stickers to go over the vacuum port, labels and a suction cup w/connector and short piece of tubing to connect to a vacuum sealer. Will not rust in high humidity areas. NO air, water or UV penetration. When I vacuum sealed the bag it was as hard as a brick. They stand up or lay flat for stacking. Am ordering more in the sizes most appropriate to my needs.
      Best packaging I've found.

      Grover
    • hillwizard2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
        Hi Grover

        A buck sixty to three dollars sounds like a lot for a plastic bag. Hoe do
        you keep the bugs and rats from chewing holes in them?

        Mike the Hillwizard

        Where the dear and the antelope play. Where seldom is heard a discouraging
        word and
        the potters are all covered in clay.

        In a message dated 6/2/2011 11:46:16 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
        freeidaho@... writes:

        Seems I've been prepping and "collecting" (a more dignified name for us
        pack rats) most of my life. I would like to share a link to a site for long
        term food storage packaging. As cans and buckets waste about 25 % of the
        storage/shelf space because they are round, and for many space is at a
        premium, I think you will like the "Flexible Aluminum Can" from

      • LarenCorie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2011
          Posted by: "hillwizard2@..."

          > How do you keep the bugs and rats from chewing holes in them?

          Hi Mike;

          I have two pantries, neither a walk-in. One is just a built-in
          wood cabinet, where I keep cans, bottles, and other things
          that are self defending against vermin. The other, right in my
          kitchen, is an old 1940s refrigerator (though any should work).
          It is not plugged in. I have had rice and other grains stored in
          it, for about ten years. Every once in a while I will open and
          eat some of the old stock. It always seems to be as good as
          new. No bugs have ever invaded them. Of course, this is
          a cold climate.

          -Laren Corie-
          Natural Solar Building Design and
          Solar Heating/Natural Cooling/Energy
          Efficiency Consultation Since 1975
          www.ThermalAttic.com

          www.EarthWeekPlus.com

          Read my Solar house design articles in:
          -Energy Self-Sufficiency Newsletter-
          www.essnmag.com

          Home base-LittleHouses YahooGroup
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleHouses/

          Founder-WoodGas - Power from wood
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas

          Founder-RefrigeratorAlternatives YahooGroup
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RefrigeratorAlternatives

          My Music - www.MoonlightRed.com