CEI site updates

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 8:24 AM
      Folks,

      I've just now got around to making some updates to my CEI site--after not
      touching it for nearly a year. (Time flies when you've got FOUR kids; my
      life is ridiculously busy. Plus I've been focused on a jazz project lately.)

      Most of the new content is CD & LP reviews. If you'd like to take a look at
      what's new, go to:
      http://www.musicweb-international.com/Ives/12_Whats_New.htm

      The biggest changes in the site: Hamelin's "Concord" (on Hyperion) is now my
      top choice, as is Sinclair's Second Sym. with the Yale SO. And I've finally
      written up my impressions of the "Emerson Concerto." Definitely worth
      hearing.

      What are you listening to?

    • Douglas Jordon
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 8:36 AM
        London Symph Orchestra, American Composers
        <http://www.albanyrecords.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AR&Product_Code=TROY235&Category_Code=a-BS>

        Interesting to hear what Ives fellow composers were up
        to. One work is "Festival Overture on the American
        National Air, The Star-Spangled Banner" by Dudley
        Buck, Ives' organ teacher. IIRC, Buck also composed a
        set of variations on "The Star-Spangled Banner".

        My favorite is the Arthur Foote "Suite in E for
        Strings". John Alden Carpenters' "Skyscrapers" is very
        interesting as well.

        But what the disc really demonstrates is how far ahead
        of his contemporaries CEI was...

        John Knowles Paine

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/c9hWNA/3MnJAA/n1hLAA/TpJolB/TM

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 6:19 PM
          From: "Scott Mortensen" <Scottkmort@...>

          > Folks,
          >
          > I've just now got around to making some updates to my CEI site--after not
          > touching it for nearly a year. (Time flies when you've got FOUR kids; my
          > life is ridiculously busy. Plus I've been focused on a jazz project
          > lately.)

          Egg-cellent!!

          Thanks, Scott. I really enjoy perusing your site on a regular basis. I also
          respect your knowledge and opinions of CEI and many of my purchases were
          directly recommended on your site. I now know just how strongly you feel
          regarding Hamelin's new reading of the Concord. You actually bumped the old
          version out of your ten favorite recordings! Wow. I really need to pick up
          that recording.

          > What are you listening to?

          Ives. For a few weeks now and basically nothing else. It was Debussy a few
          weeks before that, but the Ives train is at full speed and I am riding it
          hard. I plan on hearing every Ives CD I own (about 25 or so) *twice* through
          before I move on, but I have cheated a bit like listening to MTT's 4th at
          least 3 times this time around. That piece is a must on headphones with the
          lights dimmed.

          Frankie
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3 6:13 AM
            Frankie wrote:

            >I cheated a bit like listening to MTT's 4th at
            >least 3 times this time around. That piece is a must on headphones with the
            >lights dimmed.

            Couldn't agree with you more about MTT's 4th. Easily the best recorded
            version, IMHO.

            Have you ever heard this work live? If not, you won't believe your ears
            when you do. There's SO MUCH detail that hasn't ever been captured in a
            recording--so far, at least. I hope James Sinclair will do his 4th with
            Naxos in SACD surround. Maybe that will get us closer to what it sounds like
            in a concert hall.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3 5:39 PM
              From: "Scott Mortensen" <Scottkmort@...>
              > Have you ever heard this work live? If not, you won't believe your ears
              > when you do. There's SO MUCH detail that hasn't ever been captured in a
              > recording--so far, at least.

              Yes I have. Last year I saw it performed twice (at the Juilliard Ives
              Festival in january and at Avery Fisher with the NYP in May). It was
              incredible, especially the NYP peformance. One of the musical pinnacles of
              my entire *life*. I believe I wrote a review of it - probably in the
              archives here somewhere. I actually snuck down to a seat in the dead center
              at Avery Fisher for the piece and had undoubtedly one of the best seating
              positions in the entire place. You are correct Scott, the recordings cannot
              correctly replicate the spatial qualities of what Ives had intended. Another
              example of just how far ahead of his time he was. I was surprised to hear
              the string quartet (trio?) in the balcony way up on the right (if memory
              serves me). DVD-A and/or SACD surround could rectify that somewhat, but
              there will never be any substitution for the real deal.

              > I hope James Sinclair will do his 4th with
              > Naxos in SACD surround. Maybe that will get us closer to what it sounds
              > like
              > in a concert hall.

              In a e-mail to James, he told me that the next project will be the
              orchestral sets (possibly even the inclusion of the third?). David, can you
              shed any light on this? So it looks like as though his 4th will have to wait
              even longer than that. I cannot imagine what Sinclair will do with the
              piece - almost everything Ivesian he touches turns to gold. He may create
              the new "reference" (of recordings) of the 4th, who knows?

              Frankie
            • davidgrayporter
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4 3:03 AM
                --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Camiola" <fcamiola@h...>
                wrote:
                > From: "Scott Mortensen" <Scottkmort@h...>

                > > I hope James Sinclair will do his 4th with
                > > Naxos in SACD surround. Maybe that will get us closer to what it
                sounds
                > > like
                > > in a concert hall.
                >
                > In a e-mail to James, he told me that the next project will be the
                > orchestral sets (possibly even the inclusion of the third?).
                David, can you
                > shed any light on this? So it looks like as though his 4th will
                have to wait
                > even longer than that. I cannot imagine what Sinclair will do with
                the
                > piece - almost everything Ivesian he touches turns to gold. He may
                create
                > the new "reference" (of recordings) of the 4th, who knows?
                >
                > Frankie

                Jim does plan to do the Sets next, including two movements from the
                3rd O. Set (Scott--do you think the revised version of mvt. i is an
                improverment on the old Varese-Sarabande LP/CD?). Jim has also said
                that he'd like to do the "Comedy" from the 4th with the extra
                players Ives wanted, placed at varying distances from the listeners
                (so you can hear the difference between "up close at p" and "farther
                away at f"--which is what Ives intended with those "prominence
                indicators" for that movement ("A" up close, "B" a little more
                removed, "C" farther away, etc.).

                OFF-TOPIC: I've added a few more of my older miniatures to the
                Sibelius website if anyone is interested. Also, one of my newer
                large-scale pieces was accepted for the ERMMedia project, so I'll be
                working on a set of parts for that gargantuan monster over the next
                few weeks. Eventually, when I get all the bugs out of the engraved
                full source-score I'll be adding that one there too.
                --David
              • davidgrayporter
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4 3:05 AM
                  --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mortensen"
                  <Scottkmort@h...> wrote:
                  > as is Sinclair's Second Sym. with the Yale SO.

                  Wasn't that CD a private issue? I thought I had one of the ferw
                  copies. I haven't seen it in stores. It IS good.
                  --DGP
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4 7:26 AM
                    >From: "davidgrayporter" <davidgrayporter@...>
                    >
                    >Jim does plan to do the Sets next, including two movements from the
                    >3rd O. Set (Scott--do you think the revised version of mvt. i is an
                    >improverment on the old Varese-Sarabande LP/CD?).

                    YES! Absolutely. I'm looking forward to the new recording. Do you know
                    which orchestra Sinclair is using for this recording?

                    >Jim has also said
                    >that he'd like to do the "Comedy" from the 4th with the extra
                    >players Ives wanted, placed at varying distances from the listeners
                    >(so you can hear the difference between "up close at p" and "farther
                    >away at f"--which is what Ives intended with those "prominence
                    >indicators" for that movement ("A" up close, "B" a little more
                    >removed, "C" farther away, etc.).

                    This would be tremendous! Obviously, those spatial aspects were very
                    important to Ives--and it's one of the things that you definitely notice
                    MORE when you hear the Fourth live.

                    >OFF-TOPIC: I've added a few more of my older miniatures to the
                    >Sibelius website if anyone is interested. Also, one of my newer
                    >large-scale pieces was accepted for the ERMMedia project, so I'll be
                    >working on a set of parts for that gargantuan monster over the next
                    >few weeks. Eventually, when I get all the bugs out of the engraved
                    >full source-score I'll be adding that one there too.

                    Hey, that's great! Congrats.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4 7:36 AM
                      >From: "davidgrayporter" <davidgrayporter@...>
                      >
                      > > as is Sinclair's Second Sym. with the Yale SO.
                      >
                      >Wasn't that CD a private issue? I thought I had one of the ferw
                      >copies. I haven't seen it in stores. It IS good.
                      >--DGP

                      I'm not sure if it was available in stores or not. Jim sent me a copy. I
                      seem to recall that he said it was available at the Yale bookstore. (Not
                      exactly world-wide distribution ;-)

                      At first I wasn't going to review the CD on my site, because of it's limited
                      availability. But it's just so darn good--easily my favorite version--that
                      I decided to include it.

                      I've occasionally seen copies floating around on ebay. And a few months
                      back we burned some copies for folks on this list who wanted to hear it.
                      ...A bit of piracy there. Argh, matey. ;-)