Re: [charlesives] Slonimsky's 111th

  • Douglas Jordon
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2005
      davidgrayporter wrote:

      >Yesterday was Nicolas Slonimsky's 111th birthday. Eat some ice cream
      >in his honor (he loved ice cream and used to walk to the stor every
      >day when he was still living on Wlshire Blvd. before they bulldozed
      >the entire street for the Olympics and re-"development").
      >
      >Slonimsky conducted some of the earliest Ives/Ruggles/Varese premieres
      >(which lost him his gig at the Hollywood Bowl) and led some of the
      >first Ives recordings (altho' he recorded "In the Night" with the solo
      >instrumnet reading the part as if transposed, not actual pitches).
      >Ives re-arranged the scorew of "Putnam's Camp to show the Slominsky
      >conducting method (which Ives did not intend to use at first).

      Slonimisky also compiled a thesaurus of scales, intended as a reference
      for composers.

      <http://www.music44.com/X/product/GS10018-U>

      "Since its publication in 1947, great musicians and composers of all
      genres - from Arnold Schoenberg and Virgil Thomson to John Coltrane and
      Freddie Hubbard - have sworn by this legendary volume and its
      comprehensive vocabulary of melodic patterns for composition and
      improvisation."

      One of my profs at Michigan State was James Niblock who knew Slonimsky
      and bumped into him while he was working on the Thesaurus. Niblock said
      his reaction was, "What are you doing that for? How much does he get
      for that?" He wagged his head when I told him the book sold for
      $39.95(this was in 1979).