Symposium CD 1258 "Ionisation II"

  • tony cole
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
      Just in case some of you don't know, this CD contains two historic performances by Nicholas Slonimsky (rec. 1934 on NMQ) of Barn Dance and In The Night - apparently these taken from copy of the original shellacs donated to the Ives Rec.Music library at Yale) - Barn Dance is taken at such a hectic, frenzied pace that I find it scarcely bearable to listen to; In The NIght however is given a calm, measured, sensitive reading - sound as you would expect. And by the way, the first 15 tracks of the CD comprise a wonderful performance of Roussel's Le Festin d'Araignee - complete and conducted by the composer - and in fantastic sound for its 1929 vintage. Not sure where you'd get the CD (or any other Symposium ones) other than through the supplier I used - Crotchet - www.crotchet.co.uk - and worthe searching for Ives on their site 'cos they've got quite a lot of stuff. Symposium records are at www.symposiumrecords.co.uk . Good listening - Tony.

    • Bob Zeidler
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "tony cole" <tony@c...>
        wrote:
        > Just in case some of you don't know, this CD contains two
        historic performances by Nicholas Slonimsky (rec. 1934 on
        NMQ) of Barn Dance and In The Night - apparently these taken
        from copy of the original shellacs donated to the Ives Rec.Music
        library at Yale) - Barn Dance is taken at such a hectic, frenzied
        pace that I find it scarcely bearable to listen to; In The NIght
        however is given a calm, measured, sensitive reading - sound
        as you would expectÂ…

        ----------------------------

        Tony,

        The CD is (and has been) available at Amazon:

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TWAJU/

        As you can see, I had my say on this nearly a year ago. Even
        mentiioned it here:

        The kindest things I can say are that (a) an Ives performing
        tradition didn't spring up overnight (it took years) and (b) we can
        hope that Nic Slonimsky did better with other orchestras than
        this "Pan American Chamber Orchestra."

        Bob
      • jonleidecker99
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2005
          something to look forward to for SF Bay Area types:

          Solo Piano Recital
          JAMES TENNEY
          Ives: Concord Sonata, Cage: Sonatas and Interludes
          Friday, February 18 - 8pm - $12

          Tenney got to perform the Concord for Ives himself in the early
          1950's. However: I talked briefly with Steed at Mills, who said
          that the Ives piece might not happen if Tenney's not feeling up to
          its not inconsiderable demands -- but I've heard excerpts of him
          performing the Cage and it is unsuprisingly top notch, so I'm
          there regardless.

          Good to see Mr. Reinhard on the list, looking forward to the
          studio version of the Universe Symphony, and I'm saving up for
          those AFMM CDs...

          My copy of the John Adams / Ensemble Modern 4th Symphony
          arrived last month, I've been letting it soak in... definitely
          impressed, especially with the recording quality and the
          precision of the performances, there's a clarity that lets me hear
          certain instrumental parts that I've usually only noticed in live
          performance -- fantastic. The precision really pays off in the
          crazy second movement. Also it's fun to hear the chorus so bold
          and out front in the mix -- though the hazy, massed sound of the
          MTT disc is just as overpowering for me. I have a few
          reservations that could simply be a matter of being acclimatized
          to 15 years of living with my favorite earlier recordings -- while
          Stokowski brings the raw power, and MTT has a refined and
          masterful elegance (that really pays off in the third movement for
          me, the way the brass _takes over_ during the moment of
          despair)... Adams version seems oddly formal. Heart just not
          rising to throat during the final movement, which they perform
          with a very abrupt ending -- curious. Still listening though, and
          it's certainly worth owning if you can afford the high import price.
        • Gene Halaburt
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2005
            At 10:59 PM 2/12/2005, "jonleidecker99" wrote:

            >something to look forward to for SF Bay Area types:
            >
            >Solo Piano Recital
            >JAMES TENNEY
            >Ives: Concord Sonata, Cage: Sonatas and Interludes
            >Friday, February 18 - 8pm - $12

            For the last week I have been delighting in Tenny's 1965 performances
            (wu-ith Ted Puffer) of CEI's Songs
            (from Folkways FM 3344 and FM 3345). Pure delight!
          • jonleidecker99
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 15, 2005
              Wanted to correct a falsehood I posted in my last e-mail; Steed @
              Mills had told me that Tenney got to perform the Concord for Ives.
              Don't know where he got that from; Tenney didn't begin playing the
              piece until 1956, he corrected me himself last night after his
              lecture on Cage. Apologies, I should have checked before posting
              that, I sure hope someone doesn't google into that post...

              Tenney's such an accomplished person, the anecdote came across as
              completely plausible... he mentioned that he will be playing the
              last two movements of the Concord on friday. There'll also be a
              full concert of his own works for ensemble on saturday... see'rs at
              both!

              -jl