Detailed explication

  • George
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2005
      Daniel :

      Thank you for your detailed explication of the "accordian"
      problem in "Orchestral Set #2." I guess that if you contact the
      Charles Ives Society, you would find out if the Society has
      assigned anyone to prepare an official Society edition of that
      score.

      George
    • Bob Zeidler
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2005
        George, the Orchestral Sets page of the "Descriptive Catalog of
        the Music of Charles Ives" states that Jim Sinclair prepared a
        critical edition (undoubtedly "official") of the "Orchestral Set #2"
        in 2000:

        http://webtext.library.yale.edu/xml2html/music/ci-s1b.htm

        Publication:
        1. New York: Peer International, 1971 (rental score [photographic
        repro of Hanke's ink copy] and parts [photographic repro of parts
        made at the Fleisher Collection, Philadelphia, c1936-42]).
        2. New York: Peer International, 2000 (score for sale, parts for
        rent). Ives Society critical edn by James B. Sinclair; full critical
        commentary in CIP and available from Peer.

        As far as I know, there have been no recordings that postdate
        that critical edition. I'd be willing to bet that Sinclair gets to do
        the first recording of the critical edition.

        Any takers? :-)

        ----------------------

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "George" <gmatusk@y...>
        wrote:

        > Daniel :
        >
        > Thank you for your detailed explication of the "accordian"
        > problem in "Orchestral Set #2." I guess that if you contact the
        > Charles Ives Society, you would find out if the Society has
        > assigned anyone to prepare an official Society edition of that
        > score.
        >
        > George
      • Daniel Plante
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2005
          Bob, Thanks so much for the information. I've been out of touch with Ives doings for the past few years and haven't kept up with the latest - or, not so latest, it seems. The thing is, I hadn't heard of any performances of the Second Set and it was off the radar. Still, I think it's a wonderful piece. I'll be interested in seeing what Sinclair did with the materials. The old score needed a good bit of work.

          Now, however, there are finally decent performing scores (thanks in no small amount) to Sinclair, Monod, and Porter, but one doesn't hear the number or quality of performances that one heard in the 60s and 70s. Funny, that. The last performances I heard in NYC were really messy and thrown together. Clearly the performers - I won't name them unless asked - spent little enough time with the works to have control over them and have a point of view as well.

          I do have a question though. Does anyone know if the recording that William Masselos reportedly make of the Concord Sonata (for RCA) ever see the light of day? It was scheduled for release in the early 70s. I heard him play it live in the fall of 1971 at Town Hall (NY) at it was extraordinary - well, I was 17 at the time, but I knew the piece for about 3 years by that time.

          Dan

          wrote:

          > Daniel :
          >
          > Thank you for your detailed explication of the "accordian"
          > problem in "Orchestral Set #2." I guess that if you contact the
          > Charles Ives Society, you would find out if the Society has
          > assigned anyone to prepare an official Society edition of that
          > score.
          >
          > George

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          document.write('');