Re: [charlesives] Ives/Barber/?

  • Kirk McElhearn
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2005
      On 2/9/05 3:28 PM, "Douglas Jordon" <douglas_jordon@...> wrote:

      > The slow movement from Ives' 2nd symphony. And the fugue from the 4th
      > symphony.

      Good ideas, especially the fugue!

      Kirk

      Author of: iPod & iTunes Garage
      http://www.mcelhearn.com/ipod.html
      - - - - - -
      Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2005
        >Can anyone suggest other similar works (with those long, drawn-out string
        >notes) that I could add to this playlist?

        >Thanks!

        >Kirk

        Get some orchestral Ligeti such as "Apparitions", "Atmospheres", "Lontano",
        etc. Very moody, highly textural pieces that stay static for quite some
        time. Incredible music/composer if you are not yet familiar.

        Frankie
      • Kirk McElhearn
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 13, 2005
          On 2/13/05 12:38 AM, "Frank Camiola" <fcamiola@...> wrote:

          > Get some orchestral Ligeti such as "Apparitions", "Atmospheres", "Lontano",
          > etc. Very moody, highly textural pieces that stay static for quite some
          > time. Incredible music/composer if you are not yet familiar.

          Not at all - I've probably never heard any of his music (at least not when I
          way paying attention). Thanks.

          Kirk

          Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 13, 2005
            > On 2/13/05 12:38 AM, "Frank Camiola" <fcamiola@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Get some orchestral Ligeti such as "Apparitions", "Atmospheres",
            >> "Lontano",
            >> etc. Very moody, highly textural pieces that stay static for quite some
            >> time. Incredible music/composer if you are not yet familiar.
            >
            > Not at all - I've probably never heard any of his music (at least not when
            > way paying attention). Thanks.
            >

            > Kirk

            Wow - you are in for a treat. You have heard Ligeti if you've ever seen the
            Kubrick films "2001", "The Shining", "Eyes Wide Shut" (you probably just
            didn't know it.....!).

            I would start with the 'Ligeti Project II' if you are looking for some of
            those aforementioned orchestral pieces. Also, the 'Ligeti Edition 3: Works
            for Piano' with Aimard is also indispensable IMO. Start with those two
            albums and if you like those I can give you many more recommendations.
            Ligeti remains one of my favorite composers in any genre.

            Good luck.

            Frankie
          • Kirk McElhearn
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 13, 2005
              On 2/13/05 3:30 PM, "Frank Camiola" <fcamiola@...> wrote:

              > Wow - you are in for a treat. You have heard Ligeti if you've ever seen the
              > Kubrick films "2001", "The Shining", "Eyes Wide Shut" (you probably just
              > didn't know it.....!).

              Indeed...

              > I would start with the 'Ligeti Project II' if you are looking for some of
              > those aforementioned orchestral pieces.

              I listened to some previews of two albums on iTunes earlier; they do indeed
              sound interesting. They remind me a bit of Takemitsu, a composer I have long
              appreciated. But there are a couple of pieces that sound schizophrenic:
              Aventures for 3 singers... Part of the Requiem. I'm not into that "schizo
              for the sake of sounding schizo" type music. But other bits do sound very
              interested.

              >Also, the 'Ligeti Edition 3: Works
              > for Piano' with Aimard is also indispensable IMO. Start with those two
              > albums and if you like those I can give you many more recommendations.
              > Ligeti remains one of my favorite composers in any genre.

              I'll check out my local Amazon and see what I can find (affordably). I think
              I heard some of his piano music some time ago and liked it very much; I'll
              look up the Aimard.

              Ah, it's too bad that I don't have a library with classical CDs here... My
              budget can't afford all the music I want to discover. I'm currently in a
              Mahler discovery period as well.

              Thanks again for the recommandations!

              Kirk

              Author of: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
              Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France