Re: Universe Symphony

  • jonleidecker99
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <gene_51@m...>
      wrote:

      > First off, this piece is, for me, the wildest thing I ever recall
      > hearing, totally unlike anything I have ever heard before. I
      almost
      > would say unlike any Ives I have heard, but that was before
      listening
      > to the first movement of the "Orchestral Set No. 2" (on the
      Samuel
      > recording).

      Good call -- I am one of the few people I know who hears Ives
      loud and clear in the Austin realization. Certainly a lot of work
      was necessary to finish it but there are distinctive, wonderful
      melodic lines and the structural idea of the Time Pulse was one
      of his last brilliant, radically prescient ideas, foreshadowing
      minimalism, the development of orchestral percussion,
      polyrhythms, all in one go. Not to overstate, I'm just looking
      forward to a five hour version on audio DVD.

      I posted earlier comparing the Austin to the Reinhard
      realizations here:

      > I think the Gerhard pairing makes much more sense than the
      Stern.

      Thanks for the review of the Stern, I've held off on buying that,
      though I have been curious.

      -jl