Re: [charlesives] Universe Symphony

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2004
      From: "Gene" <gene_51@...>
      > First off, this piece is, for me, the wildest thing I ever recall
      > hearing, totally unlike anything I have ever heard before.> I would love
      > to hear what others think of the work. I am in no
      > poisition to comment on Austin's "reconstruction," but for me the work
      > does have a unity and seems to be a logical extension of CEI's earlier
      > works.

      Sounds quite interesting, Gene. I myself have not yet heard any version of
      the Universe, most likely due to the fact that I'm not sure I can past the
      notion that this is not an official 100% "CEI" product. I'm sure there is a
      lot of CEI in there, but just how much and how close is finished product to
      the way Ives had intended? I am sure there will be a day when my curiosity
      will grab hold, shake me around a bit, and then I'll plonk down the 18 bucks
      to hear it, but until that happens I have *PLENTY* to listen to - Ives
      and/or otherwise.

      Listening today consisted of Bartok's "The Wooden Prince" performed by
      CSO/Boulez. There were some great moments in this piece that really shined,
      but taken entirely as a compositional whole I found this piece lost me in
      places. There was a definite "Romantic" flavor throughout this piece,
      sprinkled with some typical Bartokian flourishes and fairy dust, but I am
      not quite sure this is what I come to hear Bartok for. Maybe one of the
      problems that became evident for me is that there were places in the music
      that *sounded* (maybe a bit too obvious, in fact) like they were written for
      the ballet. I do not feel the same way about Petrouchka or The Firebird, for
      instance. To my ears, that particular music by Stravinsky can stand on it's
      own merit, but I think in the case of the Bartok the visual would add to the
      enjoyment of the accompanying music. This piece will in no way come close to
      replacing my favorite Bartok pieces such as Music for Strings, Percussion,
      and Celeste, the String Quartets, Contrasts, the Piano Concertos,
      Microkosmos and other incredible solo piano pieces, Concerto for Orchestra,
      Solo Violin Sonata, etc. but I will give it some more listens down the road.

      Frankie
    • jonleidecker99
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <gene_51@m...>
        wrote:

        > First off, this piece is, for me, the wildest thing I ever recall
        > hearing, totally unlike anything I have ever heard before. I
        almost
        > would say unlike any Ives I have heard, but that was before
        listening
        > to the first movement of the "Orchestral Set No. 2" (on the
        Samuel
        > recording).

        Good call -- I am one of the few people I know who hears Ives
        loud and clear in the Austin realization. Certainly a lot of work
        was necessary to finish it but there are distinctive, wonderful
        melodic lines and the structural idea of the Time Pulse was one
        of his last brilliant, radically prescient ideas, foreshadowing
        minimalism, the development of orchestral percussion,
        polyrhythms, all in one go. Not to overstate, I'm just looking
        forward to a five hour version on audio DVD.

        I posted earlier comparing the Austin to the Reinhard
        realizations here:

        > I think the Gerhard pairing makes much more sense than the
        Stern.

        Thanks for the review of the Stern, I've held off on buying that,
        though I have been curious.

        -jl