RE: Concord

  • Gene Halaburt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
      Frankie wrote:

      >PS - The Concord(s) (Aimard's and Mayer's) have not left my CD player for a
      >few days now - what a great thing it is! There are many comparisons to keep
      >one busy!

      The "Concord" that has had the most play here recently is not available
      through normal commercial channels. It is by an incredibly gifted young (19)
      man named Timothy Andres. Several web-sites tells those interested more
      about him and have some samples of his playing:
      <http://www.andres.com/timo/>
      <http://rgable.typepad.com/aworks/2004/10/piano_sonata_no.html>
      <http://www.newyorker.com/critics/music/?040517crmu_music>
      <http://www.andres.com/timo/performance/>
      <http://www.fromthetop.org/popups/pop_radio_041203.html>

      Of the seven performances I have of this work, Timo's is the most moving,
      the one that for me comes closest to the heart of this incredible piece.

      The CD can be ordered directly from the performer by sending a check for ten
      bucks with your mailing info to:

      Timothy Andres
      P.O. Box 205010,
      New Haven, CT, 06520
    • tony cole
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
        Thanks for this, Gene - have checked the "Timo" websites and have listened to the online excerpts - v. intriguing (tho' I must say - FROM THE EXCERPTS ANYWAY - I'm not totally convinced about what seems to a very wide range of tempi.............. ) However, and as I have written several times before - (and NUNQUAM NIMIS DICITUR QUOD NUNQUAM SATIS DICITUR - if y'all remember your Gibbon) - YCHTMCs ** - so I've emailed Timo to ask if I can purchase the CD and get it sent across the millpond to Cambridge, UK. Tony
        ** = You Can't Have Too Many Concords
        >PS - The Concord(s) (Aimard's and Mayer's) have not left my CD player for a
        >few days now - what a great thing it is! There are many comparisons to keep
        >one busy!

        The "Concord" that has had the most play here recently is not available
        through normal commercial channels. It is by an incredibly gifted young (19)
        man named Timothy Andres. Several web-sites tells those interested more
        about him and have some samples of his playing:
        <http://www.andres.com/timo/>
        <http://rgable.typepad.com/aworks/2004/10/piano_sonata_no.html>
        <http://www.newyorker.com/critics/music/?040517crmu_music>
        <http://www.andres.com/timo/performance/>
        <http://www.fromthetop.org/popups/pop_radio_041203.html>

        Of the seven performances I have of this work, Timo's is the most moving,
        the one that for me comes closest to the heart of this incredible piece.

        The CD can be ordered directly from the performer by sending a check for ten
        bucks with your mailing info to:

        Timothy Andres
        P.O. Box 205010,
        New Haven, CT, 06520

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Gene Halaburt
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
          Yes, Tony, Timo does take liberties with the tempi.....but I can't help but
          think CEI would have done (and encouraged) the same..... I hope you are able
          to get the whole performance. The
          snippets do not do it justice. I think we can agree that there is no "best"
          Concord (the piece is too great for that), but as you so well put it,
          YCHTMCs !! LOL

          Cheers to you, my friend!

          -Gene

        • tony cole
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2004
            Well now..........Within two days I have had Timo Andres' Concord CD as well as the Adams/Ensemble Modern 4th Symphony CD delivered. Can't get the latter out of my CD player! - to my ears/soul quite the best recorded performance (and possibly THE best performance) I've ever heard. While I retain great fondness and allegiance to MTT, LPO/Serebrier, and of course Stokowski, what John A. does here with his superb orchestra and chorus (not to mention superlative, sensiitive engineering) is quite outstanding. All the many layers are revealed so clearly and yet whilst not losing at all the sense of drive and purpose. The 8:20 minutes of the last movement is unbearably moving and I was in tears when the chorus (with detailed solo singing) came in at the end with "Nearer My God To Thee". Would advise you all to contact Ens. Mod. through their website ( www.ensemble-modern.com ) and order this live Swiss Radio concert recording.
            As to Mr Andres' Concord - well, it's absolutely amazing to me that one so young should have this work well within his grasp (even if he doesn't know that CEI was born in 1874 rather than a year later! - a pre-recital talk is included on the CD). I really do look forward to a future Timo recording of the work, but I did find - as well as some really telling touches - especially in "Emerson" - that in so many passages he miscalculates the effect, particularly in terms of tempo. The opening of "The Alcotts" for instance has Beth almost nodding off to sleep so slowly does she doodle away at the Fifth. And, although "Hawthorne" starts wonderfully well, it all gets a bit unruly - and not actually excitingly so (as, for example in Aimard or the second Hamelin). Anyway, as we all seem to agree that YCHTMCs, a very intriguing recording though perhaps not the "desert island" one. Compliments of the coming season to you all - Tony.
            Yes, Tony, Timo does take liberties with the tempi.....but I can't help but
            think CEI would have done (and encouraged) the same..... I hope you are able
            to get the whole performance. The
            snippets do not do it justice. I think we can agree that there is no "best"
            Concord (the piece is too great for that), but as you so well put it,
            YCHTMCs !! LOL

            Cheers to you, my friend!

            -Gene

            >From: "tony cole" <tony@...>
            >To: <charlesives@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [charlesives] RE: Concord
            >Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:19:56 -0000
            >

            >Thanks for this, Gene - have checked the "Timo" websites and have listened
            >to the online excerpts - v. intriguing (tho' I must say - FROM THE EXCERPTS
            >ANYWAY - I'm not totally convinced about what seems to a very wide range of
            >tempi.............. ) However, and as I have written several times before -
            >(and NUNQUAM NIMIS DICITUR QUOD NUNQUAM SATIS DICITUR - if y'all remember
            >your Gibbon) - YCHTMCs ** - so I've emailed Timo to ask if I can purchase
            >the CD and get it sent across the millpond to Cambridge, UK. Tony
            >** = You Can't Have Too Many Concords

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 5 , May 24, 2008
              http://www.lafolia.com/archive/covell/covell200411concord.html

              Not sure if this has been brought up here before, but here is an interesting piece written about the Concord and impressions of some of the more familar recordings of it.

              Frank