New Recordings of Ives' Psalm 90

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
      Here's two new choral recordings. Both include Ives' Psalm 90. I haven't
      heard either CD, so I can't offer any thoughts about the quality of the
      performances. Anyone heard them?

      HEAVEN TO EARTH
      Choral works by Barber, Durufl�, Ives, Bernstein, Stravinsky, Vaughan
      Williams, Verdi, & Schoenberg
      Nancianne Parrella (organ); Charles Robert Stephens (baritone); Fran�ois
      Suhr (treble)
      Westminster Choir
      Joseph Flummerfelt
      Avie- 0046(CD)

      REINCARNATIONS
      Composers: Irving Fine, Samuel Barber, Jacob Avshalomov, Ross Lee
      Finney, Charles Ives
      Conductor: Dale Warland
      Ensemble: Dale Warland Singers
      Label: Gothic Records Catalog #: 49239 Spars Code: n/a
      Release Date: 09/07/2004

      I hope everyone's doing well. There's not been much activity on the list
      lately.

      Lately, I've been on a jazz bender. Lots of Charles Mingus and Bobby
      Hutcherson. Not much Ives. But I ALWAYS come back to Ives after a while.
      ;-)

      What have you been listening to?

    • jlroux2002
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
        Well, let's see... Roberto Gerhard's Violin Concerto, a real stunner.
        Arnold Schoenberg's 2nd String Quartet. Oh yes, and Allan Pettersson's
        8th Symphony (and *I* thought his 7th Symphony was heart-wrenching...)

        JL

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mortensen"

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
          > --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mortensen"
          > <Scottkmort@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > What have you been listening to?

          Well besides moving, starting my new job, watching CNN, etc. I have been in
          a "proggy" mood lately. Not much Ives, either, but I am itching for some, so
          it won't be long. In my Ives "discovery" (which started about two years
          ago), I acquired about 25 Ives CD's and listened to Ives almost exclusively
          for the better part of a year, so a change was due. But onto my listening of
          late: the Strawbs, The Flower Kings, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Tom Waits
          (I need to pick up the new one), Balkan folk music, Dowland lute music,
          Jethro Tull, The Bothy Band, Camel, etc.

          BTW, it's great to see new recordings of Psalm 90. One of the true gems of
          Ives' amazing output.

          Frankie