Re: [charlesives] Mayer recording of "Concord"

  • tony cole
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
      Did I mention Hadassah Sahr? - Yes, I'm sure I did.......Have just received her LP recording on the Critics' Choice label (must be early '70s as signed by her: "Happy listening, Hadassah Sahr, November 1974"). Now, I've been listening to CEI recordings for 40 years and have NEVER heard of this one till it popped up the other day on eBay. And.........what a WONDERFUL performance! - though an academic (she's still listed on the faculty of Teachers College, Columbia Univ.) her interpretation is full of feeling and drive & and I particularly like her right hand control and a certain "swagger" esp. in "Emerson" - a much better showing, I would say, than on other records of that era - and I include Kirkpatrick, Pappastavrou, Kontarsky.........With her classical training (she was a pupil of Carl Friedberg who had played for Clara Schumann and Brahms!), the playing reminds me somewhat of the live performance of Concord which I heard Jeanne Behrend give (Behrend of course was a pupil of Josef Hoffman -as was Shura Cherkassky - now there's a thought - Cherkassky in Ives! - what I wouldn't have given to hear that!!). OK, this recording's mid-fi at best, but I'm not surprised to read (on Google) that it's been listed in at least one "greatest recordings ever" book. Tony

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
        Today in my local Oxfam (goodwill store) I spotted Complete Ruggles
        box set, Tilson Thomas (looking aged 14) on LP. If anyone is
        interested I will get it and mail it. UK only I guess - the cost to
        the US would be prohibitive. This is the store where I found He who
        shall not be named's very own copy of From the Steeples to the Hills.

        Anne
        anne.ozorio@...
      • Bob Zeidler
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
          Anne,

          Speaking of He Who Shall Not Be Named (and I'm sure we're
          not talking about David Hurwitz here, but rather a different David,
          one more closely "disassociated" with CEI), did you get a rather
          lengthy email from me recently?

          Just inquiring by way of the message board, because I know you
          sometimes have difficulties in receiving messages.

          Bob
        • Anne Ozorio
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
            Yes, Bob, and Mum is the word !!!! Thrilled to bits ! .
            Will reply soon !!!!

            (now his wife will think he's fooling around) grin !
            > Anne,
            >
            > Speaking of He Who Shall Not Be Named (and I'm sure we're
            > not talking about David Hurwitz here, but rather a different David,
            > one more closely "disassociated" with CEI), did you get a rather
            > lengthy email from me recently?
            >
            > Just inquiring by way of the message board, because I know you
            > sometimes have difficulties in receiving messages.
            >
            > Bob

            Anne
            anne.ozorio@...
          • Bob Zeidler
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
              Anne wrote:

              > (now his wife will think he's fooling around) grin !

              Not to worry. She doesn't even read my Amazon reviews, much
              less my mesage board posts. Our secret is safe. <GRIN!>

              Bob