Re:Morton Gould's Ives

  • Gene Halaburt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 8:28 AM
      At 02:54 PM 7/2/2004 +0000, Scott wrote:

      >I've recently been listening to Morton Gould's Ives recordings.
      >(Available on RCA's superbudget Navigator series in the U.K.)
      >
      >I finally got around to buying the disc and giving it a good listen.
      >IMHO, these are stinkin' fantastic recordings. The First Symphony
      >caught my ear first. It's now my top choice for this work. The
      >Robert Browning Overture and Second Orchestral Set are just as good.
      >Gould's interpretation may not be the most subtle, but it always
      >sounds very natural. There's just a "rightness" about it. And it
      >doesn't hurt that the Chicago SO is such a wonderful orchestra.

      My reaction is the same as Scott's....terrific performances (only the
      "Unanswered Question" being IMO less than "top-drawer"). Highly
      recommended!

      -Gene
    • tony cole
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 3:27 PM
        Yep - v.good - still have the LPs - but marginally prefer Stok. in 2nd O.S. - Tony
        I've recently been listening to Morton Gould's Ives recordings.
        (Available on RCA's superbudget Navigator series in the U.K.)

        I finally got around to buying the disc and giving it a good listen.
        IMHO, these are stinkin' fantastic recordings. The First Symphony
        caught my ear first. It's now my top choice for this work. The
        Robert Browning Overture and Second Orchestral Set are just as good.
        Gould's interpretation may not be the most subtle, but it always
        sounds very natural. There's just a "rightness" about it. And it
        doesn't hurt that the Chicago SO is such a wonderful orchestra.

        Anyone else had the same (or different) reaction to this recording?

        Scott

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor