Ives "Mini-Festival" in May 2004, NYC

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29 7:01 AM
      Hey Folks,

      It's still a long way off, but I'm thinking about going to the NY
      Phil's Ives "mini-festival" in May 2004. Anyone else planning on
      going?

      Details:
      http://www.newyorkphilharmonic.org/home.cfm

      Conductor Alan Gilbert is performing the Fourth Sym. I'm not
      familiar with him. Anyone know anything about him?

      Also, does anyone know of any other upcoming Ives performances? I'd
      like to update the performance calendar on my site, but I haven't
      heard about anything much else.

      Best,
      Scott
    • Frankie Camiola
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
        Scott

        I will probably see at least some of it ( I hope). At the very least, I HAVE to see Symphony no. 4!!!

        Frankie
        It's still a long way off, but I'm thinking about going to the NY
        Phil's Ives "mini-festival" in May 2004. Anyone else planning on
        going?

        Details:
        http://www.newyorkphilharmonic.org/home.cfm

        Conductor Alan Gilbert is performing the Fourth Sym. I'm not
        familiar with him. Anyone know anything about him?

        Also, does anyone know of any other upcoming Ives performances? I'd
        like to update the performance calendar on my site, but I haven't
        heard about anything much else.

        Best,
        Scott

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Christian Tucker
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
          |I will probably see at least some of it ( I hope). At the very
          |least, I HAVE to see Symphony no. 4!!!

          Once you have been in a hall with the 4th, any recordings that you have will become reminders as to what you aren't getting from those recordings. When you see it, a lot of things will suddenly make sense. Reading about performances is one thing - certainly an active imagination is fabulous - but that third dimension, space, makes all the difference with this symphony.

          Christian Tucker
          New York
        • quartodeciman
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
            Whew! Quit tempting me!

            :)
          • Frankie Camiola
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
              Once you have been in a hall with the 4th, any recordings that you have will become reminders as to what you aren't getting from those recordings. When you see it, a lot of things will suddenly make sense. Reading about performances is one thing - certainly an active imagination is fabulous - but that third dimension, space, makes all the difference with this symphony.

              Christian Tucker
              New York

              The only recording I have is MTT/Chicago on Sony Classical, and listening to it on my Rotel/ B & W set-up blows my mind. I cannot imagine what this thing must sound like live. BTW, I have read different things containing the number of conductors required - is it 2 or 3?

              Frankie

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
                BTW, I have read different things containing the number of conductors
                required - is it 2 or 3?

                >Frankie

                Stoki used 2 assistants for his recording. But MTT only used one assistant
                in the performance that I saw. And that was only for a few moments in the
                2nd mvmt, IIRC.

                However, MTT did use a closed-circuit TV, so the musician who were below/off
                the stage could see him.

                MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup