Zappa & the "average" Ives fan's listening habits

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      Has anyone heard this new Zappa orchestral recording?

      http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=7402

      Definitely looks interesting.

      ***********

      Got another question for you folks. I was wondering about the listening
      habits of the "average" Ives fan (if such a thing could be said to exist).

      Do you think that most Ives fans listen mostly to classical music? Or do
      you think that your "average Ives fan" has broader musical interests? What
      about you?

      Me? Lately, I've been listening almost exclusively to jazz, which was my
      original entry-way into the world of "serious" music. Has anyone ever heard
      of the jazz musician and composer John Carter? Amazing, POWERFUL music.
      Unfortunately, almost all of his recordings are now out of print. If you're
      interested, try tracking down "Castles of Ghana" (Gramavision, 1985). It's
      a stunning recording. I think Carter might end up being an Ives-like
      figure--someone who's music is discovered and recognized long after he's
      composed it. Like Ives, he's also someone who's music defies easy
      categorization. Sadly, Carter died back in the early 90's.

      Anyhow, do you find that you mostly listen to classical music? Or are you
      interested in other music--jazz, pop, rock, whatever?

      Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral.
      http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx
    • Frankie Camiola
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        >Has anyone heard this new Zappa orchestral recording?

        http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=7402

        >Definitely looks interesting.

        Yep. I will own it soon. EM is a wonderful group - and FZ is FZ of course!

        >Anyhow, do you find that you mostly listen to classical music? Or are you
        >interested in other music--jazz, pop, rock, whatever?
        >Scott

        Personally I have been on a huge "modern classical" kick - definitely the leading "genre" of my listening. In fact, the music of Charles Ives has probably logged the most hours in my various CD players for the better part of a year now, I would say. I also listen to a good amount of progressive rock - mainly in the avant garde or RIO style. Bands and/or artists included here are Magma, Ahvak, Thinking Plague, Henry Cow, 5uu's, Mr. Bungle, Univers Zero, Captain Beefheart, FZ, and many more. Tom Waits is also very dear to me, so he ends up getting some quality time in as well. I used to be a huge jazz nut and own a lot of recordings, but I have not really been in a heavy jazz mood for years now. It just doesn't do it for me, not sure why. I did go through a period of listening to Miles' mid to late 60's/ early 70's period last summer and I do dig Mingus and "Out to Lunch" by Eric Dolphy - but not much other than that stuff recently. I just ordered my first Stockhausen CD, so I am excited about that!

        Frankie

      • Anne Ozorio
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
          > Personally I have been on a huge "modern classical" kick - definitely
          > the leading "genre" of my listening. In fact, the music of Charles
          > Ives has probably logged the most hours in my various CD players for
          > the better part of a year now, I would say. I also listen to a good
          > amount of progressive rock - mainly in the avant garde or RIO style.
          > Bands and/or artists included here are Magma, Ahvak, Thinking Plague,
          > Henry Cow, 5uu's, Mr. Bungle, Univers Zero, Captain Beefheart, FZ, and
          > many more. Tom Waits is also very dear to me, so he ends up getting
          > some quality time in as well.

          Henry Cow are different - they got their name from Henry Cowell,
          Ives's protege.

          In the 70's and 80's I used to hang out in their circles, Frank
          Frith, Dagmar Krause, Heiner Goebbels, Peter Blegvad etc. and for
          that lot anyway "progressive rock" doesn't start to describe them.
          They were very aware of "serious" composers like Cowell, Ruggles,
          Eisler, Stockhausen, Nono etc., and felt that what they were doing
          stemmed from that. It was an exhilarating scene - so many ideas, so
          much creative fervour. If anyone will copy them to CD for me, they
          can have my collection of LPs, all rare.

          A few years ago there was a big Brendel Schubert concert in the same
          building as a Musicians Collective gig, celebrating their 25th
          anniversary. Talk about a clash of cultures ! To their surprise I
          left the Schubert crowd and went over to talk to them, asking who was
          doing what these days and so on. The really young guys with green
          hair and nose rings freaked out that I really knew, and from way
          back. But it's really not such a surprise because that music was/is
          so eclectic, so free.

          Anne
          anne.ozorio@...
        • Frankie Camiola
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2004
            >If anyone will copy them to CD for me, they
            >can have my collection of LPs, all rare.

            >Anne
            >anne.ozorio@...

            Anne - I can copy my CD's if you 'd like - I don't have the ability to copy from LP to CD. Lemme know (offlist)

            Frankie

            np - Ives - Holidays Symphony - MTT, San Fran