Re: Ives Revisited

  • quartodeciman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2004
      I suppose the best policy for me would be to observe a moratorium on
      value judgements and just wait to hear the results.

      Another variable to deal with is the Charles Ives propensity to
      change his mind and change it back again. He did so many times in
      the course of his composer life. When opportunities to mount a
      performance arose under normal circumstances, he might very well
      stifle the radical aspects of a work and make a tame conservative
      version just to avoid trouble. On the other hand, when entrusting
      things to Cowell or Harrison (for instance) he might go the other
      direction and increase the radicality, asserting the most advanced
      conception.

      That all means to me leaving the door open for possible alternative
      presentations such as with just intonation.

      That letter you cited might have actually been penned by Mr. Ives
      himself? He often dictated letters as if Harmony had made them.

      Quart