Re: [charlesives] Heads up!

  • Johnny Reinhard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2012
      James Sinclair wrote me that Porter's work on the first Prelude and Section A of the Universe is what he will be conducting on the Ives program.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2012
        Thanks for these bits of info, Johnny - below is what is in the Aldeburgh Festival programme:-

        Sunday 24 June 4pm

        Universe Symphony

        Royal Academy of Music Symphony Orchestra

        Musicians from Britten–Pears Orchestra,

        Aldeburgh Young Musicians

        James Sinclair conductor

        Copland Fanfare for the Common Man

        Ives Universe Symphony (European premiere)

        Never completed, written for a myriad of ensembles

        surrounding a huge and unconventional orchestra

        and only subsequently performed as fantasies or

        fragments, the Universe Symphony has achieved

        almost mythical status. Leading Ives interpreter

        and scholar James Sinclair conducts the European

        premiere of the complete work as Ives left it almost

        100 years ago, using every corner of Snape Maltings,

        its airy acoustics and unique idyllic natural surrounds

        as a single vast performance space.

        Now, clearly this does not not acknowledge your own terrific realization (which I'm listening to again as I write this) - Tony

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2012
          Thank you, Tony, for the exact wordage. Permit me to make it accurate for the sake of the credibility of the
          Aldeburgh Festival, which you are welcome to forward. Johnny

          Sunday 24 June 4pm

          Universe Symphony excerpt premiere

          Royal Academy of Music Symphony Orchestra

          Musicians from Britten–Pears Orchestra,

          Aldeburgh Young Musicians

          James Sinclair conductor

          Copland Fanfare for the Common Man

          Ives Universe Symphony (European premiere of Section A of the Porter realization)

          Never fully layed out [xxxcompleted] by Charles Ives, written for three orchestras [xxx a myriad of ensembles]

          surrounding a huge and unconventional orchestra

          and only subsequently performed as fantasies or

          fragments except for the Reinhard realization presents all of the material composed by Ives, the Universe Symphony has achieved

          almost mythical status. Leading Ives interpreter

          and scholar James Sinclair conducts the European

          premiere of the excerpt [xxxcomplete work] as Ives left it almost

          100 years ago as determined by the late David Porter working for the Ives Society, using every corner of Snape Maltings,

          its airy acoustics and unique idyllic natural surrounds

          as a single vast performance space.

          Now, clearly this does not not acknowledge your own terrific realization (which I'm listening to again as I write this) - Tony

          Thanks, Tony!