Heads up!

  • Tony Cole
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2012
      Heads up for the Aldeburgh Festival, UK June 2012 - Ives music heavily featured - Oliver Knussen conducting 2 pieces from Holidays and also 3 Places in NE - PLUS none other than James Sinclair conducting first European performance of the Universe Symphony! - I shall certainly be there! All details at www.aldeburgh.co.uk Best wishes, Tony.

    • Johnny Reinhard
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2012
        Hi Tony,

        Of course you mean the Austin realization of the Universe Symphony, which has been performed previously in Europe (e.g., Germany and Poland). Still surprised that Austin's fantasy on Ives's material is promoted as Ives.

        all best,

        Johnny Reinhard

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2012
          James Sinclair wrote me that Porter's work on the first Prelude and Section A of the Universe is what he will be conducting on the Ives program.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 27, 2012
            Thanks for these bits of info, Johnny - below is what is in the Aldeburgh Festival programme:-

            Sunday 24 June 4pm

            Universe Symphony

            Royal Academy of Music Symphony Orchestra

            Musicians from Britten–Pears Orchestra,

            Aldeburgh Young Musicians

            James Sinclair conductor

            Copland Fanfare for the Common Man

            Ives Universe Symphony (European premiere)

            Never completed, written for a myriad of ensembles

            surrounding a huge and unconventional orchestra

            and only subsequently performed as fantasies or

            fragments, the Universe Symphony has achieved

            almost mythical status. Leading Ives interpreter

            and scholar James Sinclair conducts the European

            premiere of the complete work as Ives left it almost

            100 years ago, using every corner of Snape Maltings,

            its airy acoustics and unique idyllic natural surrounds

            as a single vast performance space.

            Now, clearly this does not not acknowledge your own terrific realization (which I'm listening to again as I write this) - Tony

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2012
              Thank you, Tony, for the exact wordage. Permit me to make it accurate for the sake of the credibility of the
              Aldeburgh Festival, which you are welcome to forward. Johnny

              Sunday 24 June 4pm

              Universe Symphony excerpt premiere

              Royal Academy of Music Symphony Orchestra

              Musicians from Britten–Pears Orchestra,

              Aldeburgh Young Musicians

              James Sinclair conductor

              Copland Fanfare for the Common Man

              Ives Universe Symphony (European premiere of Section A of the Porter realization)

              Never fully layed out [xxxcompleted] by Charles Ives, written for three orchestras [xxx a myriad of ensembles]

              surrounding a huge and unconventional orchestra

              and only subsequently performed as fantasies or

              fragments except for the Reinhard realization presents all of the material composed by Ives, the Universe Symphony has achieved

              almost mythical status. Leading Ives interpreter

              and scholar James Sinclair conducts the European

              premiere of the excerpt [xxxcomplete work] as Ives left it almost

              100 years ago as determined by the late David Porter working for the Ives Society, using every corner of Snape Maltings,

              its airy acoustics and unique idyllic natural surrounds

              as a single vast performance space.

              Now, clearly this does not not acknowledge your own terrific realization (which I'm listening to again as I write this) - Tony

              Thanks, Tony!