I'm desparate - enquiry about Mysterious Pink 78s

  • gibbercat88
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      I am wondering if anyone can help me. Is there anyone who knows if
      Ives's music was recorded in (going on information I have founs so
      far) about the 1930s on the "His Master's Voice" pink label series of
      78 rpm 12 inch records? ("His Master's Voice" is the distinctive
      label with the dog staring down the snout of the gramophone machine)

      I know little about the technicalities of music but this music was
      very memorable and a bit groovy, a wee bit different to most Sonata
      stuff, very energetic and memorable. It was almost groovy in places.

      I dont have MP3 or anything like that. I want to know where I can get
      comprehensive lists of all his music and where and when it was
      released by record. HMV is non-American, so this release was probably
      the UK.

      I ask because I can remember from my childhood some records which I
      really loved, but are long gone. (My Dad decided nobody needed our
      old records, so he put them all in the dump because they are out of
      date, and besides, we have these new fangled CDs now, dont we!
      arrrgh!) So now I'm trying to track down a lot of this music on CD -
      I've decided that having it play in my head is not good enough. And
      so it certainly helps to know the name of the music. Being young I
      neither noticed nor cared who wrote the music but going by all I've
      read I think that I'm getting warm here with Mr. Ives. It was titled
      simply "Sonata No. 4 for Violin and Piano" (I think it was 4) and it
      was spread over several 78s.

      Thanks for listening, anyway, if you've come this far!
    • Bob Zeidler
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
        {big snip}

        It was titled simply "Sonata No. 4 for Violin and Piano" (I think it
        was 4) and it was spread over several 78s.

        This was most likely the premiere recording of the work, by
        Joseph Szigeti and Andor Foldes.

        Here is a link to the Violin Sonatas page of Jim Sinclair's on-line
        "A Descriptive Catalogue of the Music of Charles Ives":

        http://snipurl.com/48bt

        Scroll down to the bottom (after the detailed description of the 4th
        Violin Sonata), and you'll see Sinclair's reference to that 1942
        recording.

        Whether or not this was ever transferred to CD (I believe it was
        once available on an LP transfer) would require some
        websearch. You might try Amazon.com, or a more general
        search using Google.

        Bob
      • Bob Zeidler
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
          BTW, if the Ives violin sonatas have caught your fancy (and, as a
          somewhat experienced Ivesian, I've come to think that these four
          works are as good a place as any to start on one's journey),
          there is a new, wonderful and inexpensive Naxos CD of them:

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008MLVJ/

          I'm biased, so feel free to ignore my own review comments. But
          do read the comments of the other 3 reviewers, most particularly
          "weirdears" and J Scott Morrison.

          An Amazon.com search on "Ives" and Szigeti" turned up nothing.
          I can't say that I'm surprised.

          Bob
        • gibbercat88
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
            Thankyou!

            I'm not necessarily on the lookout for that exact same (scratchy)
            recording! Naxos sounds good enough to me. It will be great to re-
            acquant myself with this music whatever the case. I think you've put
            me in the right direction. I'll scour the CD shops.

            Thanks again.
            JDN