Re: [charlesives] Anyone still out there???

  • Lynne Haley
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
      Hello Charles Ives aficionados! With a re-awakening of this list -- I was
      wondering if anyone has the old 1950's recording by Jacqueline Greissle? Please
      let me know if you do; she was my mother. I look forward to hearing from you.
      Lynne :-)

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
        On 28 Jul 2011 at 16:03, Tony Cole wrote:
        There has been a paucity of live Ives' performances on this eastern
        side of the mill-pond of late - nothing at all in this year's London
        Proms-------------

        Wondefful Unanswered Question at Aldeburgh in 2008 and some at, of
        all places, 3 Choirs and some in London conducted by Thomas Ades.
        Shows hoe long this list has been quiet.

        Anne
      • Tony Cole

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
              Thank you so much for this information, Tony! I will keep searching. Mom
              passed away a few years ago and I have no idea what happened to our copy of the
              recording -- it would mean a great deal to me to if I could find one. Thanks
              for your kind help. Blessings, Lynne :-)

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 6, 2011
                Well, having said little of Ives over here, today I've received the new Royal College of Music (London) Autumn Events calendar - lo and behold on Thursday November 24th at RCM's lovely Amaryllis Fleming Hall the RCM orchestra is doing 3 Places in NE (together with Cage and Ligeti) - booking and further info: www.rcm.ac.uk/boxoffice . I shall be there, so if anyone else able & willing, let me know. Tony

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6, 2011
                  nina deutsch

                  youtube.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 9, 2011
                    Hi Scott - great to hear from you again! It's been too long....

                    Glad to see you digging CEI again. I have been meaning to do a huge Ives
                    binge for a while now, but I can't seem to stop listening to Mahler now (for
                    a few years). Mahler has gone from a composer I rejected for years to one of
                    my absolute favs - but that is a different story for a different day.

                    Anyway, it seems there has been a few substantial Ives recordings that have
                    been released over the past few years - sadly I haven't heard any of these -
                    does anybody own any of these?:

                    1) Concord Symphony/Tilson Thomas/San Fran - I own the premiere recording
                    with The RCO but am eager to hear this one also

                    2) Sonata No. 1 and 2 Concord/ Jeremy Denk - piano

                    3) Decoration Day; Fourth of July; Thanksgiving/ Sinclair/Malmo (Naxos) - I
                    can't believe I still don't own this! Shame on me.....

                    4) Keeping Score: Ives Holidays Symphony DVD/ Tilson Thomas - I watched this
                    online and loved it....I would like to own the DVD. The Mahler series is
                    also great....

                    5) Symphony No. 3; Ragtime dances; Robert Browning/ Stern / Saarbrucken/
                    Rundfunk (Col Legno)

                    6) Complete Violin Sonatas/ Millard Taylor

                    I can't think of any more - are there any I have missed?

                    Another quick story - I was involved in a recording a few years back with
                    Hilary Hahn playing the 4 Ives Violin Sonatas. Yes - I was IN THE STUDIO and
                    I turned pages for the pianist. It was an unreal experience and I can only
                    truly hope that these recordings see the light of day - they will become the
                    new reference recordings of these four masterpieces. Hilary Hahn is an
                    absolute sweetheart, as well as a musical perfectionist.

                    Take care
                    Frank

                    >Hello everyone! This is Scott Mortensen. It's been a LONG time since I've
                    >been around. A few years ago, my old Hotmail account was hacked, and I was
                    >no longer able to access my account. Plus, I got busy with work, raising
                    >kids, and LIFE. So I hadn't gotten around to checking in on this board --
                    >or my Ives web site.

                    >Lately, I've been digging into Ives' music AGAIN. So I thought I'd see if
                    >there's anyone out there who's still subscribed to the board.

                    >So, anyone out there? I hope so.

                    >Best,
                    Scott
                  • Russ Jenkins
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 13, 2011
                      Yes Scott.  Like you, I have been away for some time.  Good to see you and others still here.

                      Russ

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 2, 2012
                        I was just going though my old Yahoo e-mail account and found your e-mail.  I'm still around there and still interested in Ives.

                        By the way, the new edition of Ives' Fourth Symphony is about to come out with information on Amazon.

                        Dan Plante

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 3, 2012
                          will participate in the firkusny celebration at the janaczek academy.
                          best wishes,
                          nina