Re: [charlesives] Anyone still out there???

  • Tony Cole
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
      Well done, Scott, for re-starting messages after quite a long lull.........In fact, I've quite forgotten just how long......... There has been a paucity of live Ives' performances on this eastern side of the mill-pond of late - nothing at all in this year's London Proms! Hopefully you've all been able to hear Jeremy Denk's recent recording of the Sonatas 1&2 - excellent, I think - friends here have said "superlative" - any comments anyone? I have culled my recordings (Ives and others) for the second time in 3 decades, and this time passed on a considerable amount to the Music Dept of my daughter's old school here in Cambridge (UK), which has an excellent reputation and a head music teacher who "did" CEI as his Masters' thesis......I felt it worthwhile to "spread the word/notes", especially to the younger generation. Best wishes, Tony.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
        Hello Charles Ives aficionados! With a re-awakening of this list -- I was
        wondering if anyone has the old 1950's recording by Jacqueline Greissle? Please
        let me know if you do; she was my mother. I look forward to hearing from you.
        Lynne :-)

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
          On 28 Jul 2011 at 16:03, Tony Cole wrote:
          There has been a paucity of live Ives' performances on this eastern
          side of the mill-pond of late - nothing at all in this year's London
          Proms-------------

          Wondefful Unanswered Question at Aldeburgh in 2008 and some at, of
          all places, 3 Choirs and some in London conducted by Thomas Ades.
          Shows hoe long this list has been quiet.

          Anne
        • Tony Cole

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
                Thank you so much for this information, Tony! I will keep searching. Mom
                passed away a few years ago and I have no idea what happened to our copy of the
                recording -- it would mean a great deal to me to if I could find one. Thanks
                for your kind help. Blessings, Lynne :-)

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6 12:59 AM
                  Well, having said little of Ives over here, today I've received the new Royal College of Music (London) Autumn Events calendar - lo and behold on Thursday November 24th at RCM's lovely Amaryllis Fleming Hall the RCM orchestra is doing 3 Places in NE (together with Cage and Ligeti) - booking and further info: www.rcm.ac.uk/boxoffice . I shall be there, so if anyone else able & willing, let me know. Tony

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 6 2:26 AM
                    nina deutsch

                    youtube.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 9 7:49 AM
                      Hi Scott - great to hear from you again! It's been too long....

                      Glad to see you digging CEI again. I have been meaning to do a huge Ives
                      binge for a while now, but I can't seem to stop listening to Mahler now (for
                      a few years). Mahler has gone from a composer I rejected for years to one of
                      my absolute favs - but that is a different story for a different day.

                      Anyway, it seems there has been a few substantial Ives recordings that have
                      been released over the past few years - sadly I haven't heard any of these -
                      does anybody own any of these?:

                      1) Concord Symphony/Tilson Thomas/San Fran - I own the premiere recording
                      with The RCO but am eager to hear this one also

                      2) Sonata No. 1 and 2 Concord/ Jeremy Denk - piano

                      3) Decoration Day; Fourth of July; Thanksgiving/ Sinclair/Malmo (Naxos) - I
                      can't believe I still don't own this! Shame on me.....

                      4) Keeping Score: Ives Holidays Symphony DVD/ Tilson Thomas - I watched this
                      online and loved it....I would like to own the DVD. The Mahler series is
                      also great....

                      5) Symphony No. 3; Ragtime dances; Robert Browning/ Stern / Saarbrucken/
                      Rundfunk (Col Legno)

                      6) Complete Violin Sonatas/ Millard Taylor

                      I can't think of any more - are there any I have missed?

                      Another quick story - I was involved in a recording a few years back with
                      Hilary Hahn playing the 4 Ives Violin Sonatas. Yes - I was IN THE STUDIO and
                      I turned pages for the pianist. It was an unreal experience and I can only
                      truly hope that these recordings see the light of day - they will become the
                      new reference recordings of these four masterpieces. Hilary Hahn is an
                      absolute sweetheart, as well as a musical perfectionist.

                      Take care
                      Frank

                      >Hello everyone! This is Scott Mortensen. It's been a LONG time since I've
                      >been around. A few years ago, my old Hotmail account was hacked, and I was
                      >no longer able to access my account. Plus, I got busy with work, raising
                      >kids, and LIFE. So I hadn't gotten around to checking in on this board --
                      >or my Ives web site.

                      >Lately, I've been digging into Ives' music AGAIN. So I thought I'd see if
                      >there's anyone out there who's still subscribed to the board.

                      >So, anyone out there? I hope so.

                      >Best,
                      Scott
                    • Russ Jenkins
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 13 3:24 PM
                        Yes Scott.  Like you, I have been away for some time.  Good to see you and others still here.

                        Russ

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 2, 2012
                          I was just going though my old Yahoo e-mail account and found your e-mail.  I'm still around there and still interested in Ives.

                          By the way, the new edition of Ives' Fourth Symphony is about to come out with information on Amazon.

                          Dan Plante

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 3, 2012
                            will participate in the firkusny celebration at the janaczek academy.
                            best wishes,
                            nina